[how do you make a] SIEGE [map ?]

Tom_Anger

How do you make this in a map? I have spent some time trying to make it with the beta patch V2, then V3, and I am unable to launch a Siege game. What do you do with the bases to make this happen?

you can create a seige type by setting 3 zones (team 1) (seige zone) (team 2)

you link team two with the seige zone and leave team one unlinked that way only the attacking team can capture it.

I believe I tried that, but I was hoping someone who already tried this could reply. I have tried many different methods and now I am looking for those who know how to set it up. Thanks for the suggestion though. It may just be a brain fart or something. It is either a V3 beta bug or I am not setting it up correctly.

You might not get the responses you are looking for yet because it is a beta and not official so we are not suppose to be talking about it in these forums. Thats why they made the Beta forums. Not my rules...just pointing them out is all. Maybe post this in the beta forum...you might get better response.

Yeah, thought about posting there as well. I was hitting this forum 1st since it is a mapping forum. I may head over there. Thanks.

Yeah...i wasnt trying to be a pain in the butt...i know this is the place really but some might not answer on account of it still being in beta. I havent tried what you are doing so i couldnt help anyways...mainly been playing with [GR] style...hehe Good luck...hope someone can help. I know Grin_Evert is good when it comes to help with this stuff.

Thanks - that is what I did and when exporting it crashed with some seige type of error. I had US as Base A = 1, MEX as BASE B = 2, and then BASE C = 0. I even unbundled the existing seige maps to see how they were setup and it confirms your input. So that is why I posted here, lol. Did you actually make a V3 beta map in seige to conrifm that this works? I don't expect you to, but if you did I would like to know. Not too many people who have or had Beta V3 toyed with the map editor from what I have seen out there.

Yes...i made it, exported it and played it! Worked fine for me. It took me a few try's to figure out the combo of zones and stuff but the one i posted is what worked for me in the end. Not sure why it wont work for ya.

Edit...i was just looking at the order in your example...not that this should matter but i placed them like this.

US=zone alpha=1

zone to defend=Bravo=0

Mex=zone charlie= 2

Edited by }PW{ Postal

This also makes me wonder if we could do something like this for seige...

US, zone alpha=1

US, zone bravo=1

Zone to defend, zone charlie=0

Zone to defend, zone delta=0

Mex, zone echo=2

Mex, zone foxtrot=2

This would give 2 spawn areas for each team...good map locations

and 2 zones for defenders to defend...i will have to play with this...hehehe

Ok, i tested the above and it didnt work with 2 zones to defend...the 2 spawns for each team is ok but only one zone to attack/defend so it would look like this...

US, zone alpha=1

US, zone bravo=1

Zone to defend, zone charlie=0

Mex, zone delta=2

Mex, zone echo=2

Edited by }PW{ Postal

Has anyone else done this? I setup the maps using

US = Base A = 1

MEX = Base C = 2

Siege Zone = Base 0

I can play the map once, but when it cycles to play again the game crashes. I did this on a couple of the AW maps and got the same results. Has anyone else successfully made a SEIGE map? I want to get these going for the community. Any help is appreciated.

Ok, i just tested this with the sample map i made. I was on the Mex side so i could win. I did this 4 times and it never crashed. My server was not set to switch sides when game was won and it was the only map in rotation.

Did this happen to you on the same map cycle...like you win..the game ends then the same map loads again?

Also did you have your server set to switch players to opposite sides when the round ends?

Hhmm, i just looked at mine and both of mine are un checked as well.

Well, back to the drawing board.

I will dig into this alittle deeper and see what i come up with. Its hard to say at this point if its a bug with your map or if its in server settings. You could try playing with them in the mean time to see if you can narrow it down.

I've been trying - oh well. I guess I have to keep trying. From what you mention it is as easy as

3 BASES

Alpha = 1

Beta = 0

Charlie = 2

You place Beta close to Charlie so that they can properly defend it. Same maps that I had out there POW CAMP. TDM - I just changed the gametype and manipulated the base. Will keep at it I guess.

Well i just played online on a seige server and i had 2 crashes at different times. They were both when the Mex side won. I mean as soon as they won i crashed. One time i was on the Mex side and the other i was on the US. It didnt happen in a row though.

It did give me this crash log both times...

Thu Sep 14 22:32:37 2006

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.30

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant find member: slot_name in type <destroyed c++class>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\units\types\weapons\eglm.dsf(0)

Is this whats happening to you?

I'm not seeing a crash log. The screen goes blank and I get the little window box to report the error to microsoft. I don't think it is the maps because other gametypes work flawlessly. It is when the map plays the next round that I get the problem. I am still gonna try and get to teh bottom of this. Thanks soo much for what you are doing to help.

If you want you could zip it up and host it on filefront then PM me the link then i could try it out to see if it works on my PC. Just a thought...dont know why it would matter but we can try to narrow our options.

Oh...NP about the help...glad to!

Edited by }PW{ Postal