Overclocking??

FIRE_WIRE

I was just wondering if any of you guys had any inforation on overclocking PC's. Im thinking of trying it but im not sure of the steps or procedures to do so. If any of you have any information on how to do this it would be much apperciated. :D

My PC specs are:

AMD XP 2200+

Soyo Dragon Ultra Platnium

256 Mb PC 2700

My PC runs at a constant 36 to 42 Degrees Celcius...

there is many ways from bios tweaks to softeware plugins to filling in parts of the cpu not sure what its called best best is to surf some of the forums and youl find a wealth of info and also a few horror stories www.nvplanet.com pcpitstop.com and theres also a few links from www.ut2003.com forum, but far the best is www.overclockers.com everything from volt modding to nifty little video card apps.

basic thing to remember is that overclocking will stress a system cooling is very important

Just remember that sometimes overclocking actually decreases performance, as well as increase heat to components. As Snakebite said, cooling should be the #1 consideration if you're considering OC'ing. Just start with small increments at a time with your vid card or CPU. If your system keeps locking up or crashing...well, it's too much. Remember to COOL YOUR COMPONENTS!!

You got a decent system there...do you really want to risk it?

Firewire, you're on the right track having a good after-market board as the base for your system. If you look in the bios for it, you should see a multitude of options on how to increase vcore, vmem, fsb, as well as the multiplier or anything else they put in bios. All those can be used to overclock your cpu/system.

If you raise your cpu multiplier (this will require you cutting and rejoining some bridges on your cpu), you can make the cpu itself go faster. If you up the fsb, you basicly overclock the whole system. It makes the agp slot, memory and everything work at a faster pace along with overclocking your cpu. The bad part to this, is it can get unstable fast, especially with low quality ram.

Another note: your 2200 I assume, is on the tbred A core, thus it is at the peak of its limits allready and runs pretty hot compared to normal athlons. If you overclocked it, it wouldn't go very far at all I'm assuming. Best for overclocking atm are the 1600-1800 paliminos an 2400 tbred b cores.

As for graphics, couldn't be simpiler. Just do a search on google for powerstrip. It's free and allows you to overclock your card among many other things. When going up on this, be careful and go slow and play a game between each change. A card may surf the internet 50mhz over default, but only play games at 25mhz or less, else it crashes.

Lastly, this is risky and there is a possibility you'll tear something up. The main thing to look out for is heat. If your cpu starts going over 40c at idle, either quit overclocking it, or get a better heatsink/fan combo. If your graphics keep crashing/getting artifacts, lower the overclock. It can fry the cards memory easily. Always be sure to make small increments and as few changes each time as possible.