Papa6

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

papa, papa papa

thats basicly how it is, you put your mods under graw/local/mymod

the only diffrence is that the "mod" folder is called "local"

the only hitch is that you have to move them out but as said before that can be done with the click of the mouse if you write a simple bat file.

you never ever ever have to mess inside som giant bundle.its aaall in your head!:)

Unheard of "FIx" Im sure most are not willing or amused. Were down to 60 pople playing online.

But it should encase the features that made [GR] great.

It should have but it didn't and that's a major shame. :( A great game like GR should have been built up over the years by RSE instead of farming it out and starting over. Oh Well ! It could have been a lot worse as GRAW could have been a total clone of the COD/MOH type games.

There was just no excuse to screw up [GR]. The money was there , the history , fane base. years of waiting, mods mods mods, support support , the want the desire, why why why . SO many old and new players would have paid much more for an updated version of [GR] but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

right, just to shut ya all up!:)

my dear collegue Anders Knogmacka wrote this little thing for me;)

I present, the GRAW MOD SWITCHER!

create a txt file and name it graw_modswitcher.vbs (its a visual basic script)

and inside that you paste

Dim filesys

set filesys=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If filesys.FolderExists("d:\graw\local") Then

filesys.MoveFolder "d:\graw\local", "d:\grawmods"

Else

filesys.MoveFolder "d:\grawmods", "d:\graw\local"

End If

ofcourse you have to edit the paths to fit your computer :) the first one is where the mods are from the beginning, IE the Local directory in your graw directory

the second is ..the same, and the third is where you want to put your mods while playing online

the last two are just the reverse so the program knows how to switch em back

double click it before you play online to move out your mods and when you are done playing you click again and it moves back the files

:hmm: ..... :wall:

rocky, i think you got your folders mixed up so its trying to move files to where they already are:)

so where do i put this file? and how does it work?

Tried it but got a run time error

saying line 6

character 1

path not found

you put the file whereever , it doesnt matter

you have to edit the paths in it tho so it matches your system:)

rocky, i think you got your folders mixed up so its trying to move files to where they already are:)

so where do i put this file? and how does it work?

Tried it but got a run time error

saying line 6

character 1

path not found

you put the file whereever , it doesnt matter

you have to edit the paths in it tho so it matches your system:)

ok got it. Now i get what Rocky does "file already exists" now what?

Dim filesys

If filesys.FolderExists("n:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\local\english") Then

filesys.MoveFolder "n:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\local\english", "n:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GRAW mods"

Else

filesys.MoveFolder "n:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GRAW mods", "n:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\local\english"

End If

I have to agree with Papa's positions here. On the modding issue, I modded quite a bit for GR and have little to no desire to mod GRAW mostly because of what has been mentioned.

I completely agree,

It's down to the modder to script, not the end user.

Unless all that visual basic malarkey can be done transparently and at the push of a button then the whole point is just redundant.

A utility like this should be built into the game if it is to be seriously modded.

I have no desire to install a graw mod, much less create one

(a missed opportunity :( )

I have to agree with Papa's positions here. On the modding issue, I modded quite a bit for GR and have little to no desire to mod GRAW mostly because of what has been mentioned.

I completely agree,

It's down to the modder to script, not the end user.

Unless all that visual basic malarkey can be done transparently and at the push of a button then the whole point is just redundant.

A utility like this should be built into the game if it is to be seriously modded.

I have no desire to install a graw mod, much less create one

(a missed opportunity :( )

I agree. I'm not a modder. I like an exe or a zip with an exe & readme that says (install, activate in game & play)

otherwise it looks like this to me

kljdfhg;qergv;oegskl;dthqoernvkdfjhg

Well, back to ubicom & [GR] to play some coop. I'll be back looking for the patch. I wish GRIN & RSE could've got together on this 1 cause I do love the GRAW SP missions but miss the ease of [GR].

For creating scripts, there is a program called "ConTEXT" that works great due to it's highlighters for different scripts. New script highlighters can be added any time. Check it out.

http://www.context.cx/

And I get the same error as well

Dim filesys

If filesys.FolderExists("C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\local") Then

filesys.MoveFolder "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\local", "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\mods"

Else

filesys.MoveFolder "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\mods", "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\local"

End If

Edited by Nutlink

Dim filesys

Else

End If

ofcourse you have to edit the paths to fit your computer :) the first one is where the mods are from the beginning, IE the Local directory in your graw directory

the second is ..the same, and the third is where you want to put your mods while playing online

double click it before you play online to move out your mods and when you are done playing you click again and it moves back the files

While I appreciate the effort Willie, this only serves to further substantiate my point. It may seem easy to you and other computer literate users (note that even some savvy users are having issues understanding what to do) but the average gamer will NOT do this sort of thing. They will not write scripts, or even cut and paste scripts that someone else wrote, or likely even in many cases download an external exe that someone else has set up for them.

All they want is to load the game up and have it work. Install a mod and turn it on or off with a nice gui that tells them clearly what's running and what's not.

Now while someone external to the game's developers could make a 3rd party app that will accomplish that task, the problem for them becomes convincing all the modders to use their loader program, since the mods will have to in some form or another be tailored or set up to function WITH that program. SierraSeven's (I think it was his...) modloader was an example of this. It required you to create a relatively simple informational file for the program to locate your mod and activate or deactivate it. Problem is, few if any modders used it and it faded into obscurity.

The only way to stop that from happening is to have a centralized system built into the game by the developers to select and run mods. They (you) are the only ones with the capability of distributing a unified system of mod management to the ENTIRE community. Relying on everyone in the community to agree on a 3rd party program just isn't going to work, nor is showing them how to write scripts or batch files. The former problem is one of distribution and standardization, while the latter is one of education and most gamers simply don't -want- to educate themselves in unrelated subjects just to play a game.

Again, to dull the impact to that of a gentle bludgeoning... I realize that you are in a difficult position and that you're trying to help, and I do genuinely appreciate it. However, the solution offered simply will not gain wide-spread approval or use. Bear in mind that while it would be nice, I'm not asking for a solution to this problem for GRAW. It's late in the cycle and with so much expenditure on patches already, a larger endeavor like this is just not feasible unless the game was a mass commercial success (think BF2, HL2, etc. in terms of units sold). What I'm suggesting is that if you guys are working on an expansion, or even creating any other game based upon your engine, then you NEED to look at creating a unified and easy to use mod management system before you ship that or the mod community of that game will face the same fate as that of GRAW - dwindling into obscurity.

Edited by TedSmith

We have another thread aside from this one Here and they say there's a work around for the current mod activation/deactivation. so the word is getting out.

Now we and GRIN can work on a feasible way to work this into Graw

Edited by Papa6

We have another thread aside from this one Here and they say there's a work around for the current mod activation/deactivation. so the word is getting out.

Now we and GRIN can work on a feasible way to work this into Graw

Ahh... that thread has a link to this thread! lol

How does that saying go again? "If you want something done right you do it yourself?"

I'm sorry... but even as a person who does scripting for a living... that is NOT an acceptable workaround.

Someone needs to write a GUI that we can use so that the user can see what is installed and not...

And I don't know how to do that.

Anyone?

As a bigtime former [GR] player, I agree generally with what you said. I also looked through the thread, and have a couple of things to say as well.

1) [GR] was not slow. Part of what made it fast was long firing distances, and sight lines. Part of what made it fast was double-tap style killing. The game was very, very deadly. Whats missing in all of todays games, including GRAW, but also BF2, etc, is the idea that if a guy is stupid enough to leave cover in front of you, he's dead.

2) We all would have been better off if the GRAW people had just licensed the BF2 engine, and then basically made a GR mod, and sold it. BF2's engine allows better scale for its expense, while the GRAW engines designers seem caught up with glow effects, and lots of tan colors. Seriously, considering the medium quality level design, in terms of PLAYABILITY, not looks, and the crazy hardware requirements, we really would have been better of with BF2+GR mod.

3) The basis of [GR] was outdoors, long sight lines, varying cover. GRAW seems to be cities and cement, and no soft cover, and very few long sight lines. I was hoping that the GR people were going to use the increased hw to give us LONGER sight lines, and greater differentiation between snipe and regular, like Americas Army did, or great cover differentiation, via more vegetation, grass trees, etc. The pioneering stuff of GR included that you couldn't just pick out the moving thing- because alot of the backdrop moved a little.

4) I play currently GRAW, BF2, and Americas Army. Both BF2 and Americas army are more GR then GRAW.

5) The Scott Mitchell super soldier stuff is dumb.

6) By calling it GR, people expect GR, not super glowy tan city fighting with super weapons, where you swear you are playing Rainbow Six. I guess thats the biggest reason why the franchise is probably toast- no title differentiation, if its almost the same as Rainbow Six, and Rainbow six isn't infinitely playable to begin with (too tight quarters, so same killing runs every round) why buy either, now that you've played a few versions of Rainbow, and seen the same thing every time?

7) Why was [GR] the most popular multi player game on original XBOX until Halo2? Because even with the crazy XBOX controls, every game was different. You could creep around, or charge. There wasn't to many weapon exploits- if you had a guy dead to rights, he was dead- no dolphin diving craziness, no power ups for invulnerablility, and easier, QUICKER kills, because the bullets actually hurt. I know alot of people who played Halo2 a little bit, realized that it was 13 year olds with powerups hell, and went back to GR.

If you are over 25 years old, you want to do something other than run to the ammo box, spray people before they spray you, and wait for next life.

The shooter is no longer going to be a best seller by great graphics, they all have that. Instead playability, and level variability, and new multiplayer stuff, like BF2s commander stuff, and airstrikes and smokes, and more ways to tell other players what you want to do as a squad.

Its funny that people think shooters are more fun when you make the weapons less deadly. It just means people run straight down the middle of streets trying to cowboy and dive, instead of using cover. Thats the biggest problem with BF2. Can you imagine if all shooters just did the Strike Force/[GR]/Americas Army thing of making you pay for getting hit and limping around, and all shooters were single good hit equal incapacitation? People would actually be scared to stick their head up! People would stick together in fire teams, to maximize being able to drop the other guy before he dropped you! You wouldn't need to play balance weapons as much, because it would more be a matter of fire rate vs weight and ammo supply, and accuracy.

So I guess for me [GR] > Americas Army or BF2 > GRAW. But if you take BF2s engine and add the deadliness of [GR], and more soft foilage and varying cover and sightlines, but now with the multilevel, tall buildings, etc, but bring back the varying light conditions of [GR], and make people limp like [GR], but keep the BF2 commander, squad leader stuff, and add more smokes and sensors, and claymores, etc, THAT WOULD BE A GAME.

Oh, and I still want my 3 squads, so I can play my brother on big maps, and have the mother of all battles with our guys. Doesn't everyone else?

:thumbsup:

If Grin would add brush and a more ...dare i say, "refined" moddability, we would surely have a mass pilgrimage of modders on the GRAW jet set.

there's a movement if you will, who want Grin to change the modding scheme of GRAW. most think that a mod folder not unlike [GR] is the best possibility. I agree.

maybe, just maybe, if GRIN will do this, we can bring back some of the modders who were at GRAW's release, waiting to mod GRAW but won't now due to the complexity of it.

Dim filesys

Else

End If

Or you could try this Mod Switcher utility and see how if that works for some folks.