The bottomline about the PhysX drivers?

MadMike

MadMike,

The Ageia PPU like others is an additional processor, not unlike the Co processors found inside CPU's which once were stand alone and were introduced to elevate the floating point calculations from the main CPU. Originally the FPU (floating point processor) did not get used too much as not many programs were written to utilize it.

Now some 30 years later, we were given a Graphics card with a graphical processor, now called a GPU. We are in a situation where the industry has introduced a secondary device to aid the GPU called a PPU (physics processor unit). Just like the original CPU & FPU concept this will take time for code to be written to fully utilize the unit and in time the PPU will be integrated into the GPU assembly.....

So there you have it, Do I need it , NO but if you have it it helps !!

Your questions are specific and can only really be answered by the developer of PPU's, but ppu card helps out with all the calculations that would normally be done by the GPU. The software driver being removed will off load the calculations which would be side tracked to the SYSTEM CPU and therefore not be done, so you'll have none of the extra physics... You may say so what... but is that what you said about the days before GPU ? and all the flash graphics we have now ...

viii

p.s. no questions are directed at you, I just typed in the general sense.

I had one some time ago and it did the following two things:

1.) slowed my computer down considerably in GRAW.

2.) Greatly enhanced the visuals that use physX in the game. Dust, explosions, and all things between. Know how when you slide or dive in GRAW right now it just ovelays a standard dust pattern on the screen? As I recall with PhysX card, it gets a LOT more real. Dust from a helicopter hovering nearby is VERY near-real (I should know). Explosions are WAY cooler (try watching the embassy go up with a PPU... nuts). Et cetera.

As for the necessity of the drivers, which IS the topic at hand, I have no idea. I'm just bored and felt like posting...

2.) Greatly enhanced the visuals that use physX in the game.

So for those in the know, or just want to guess, how soon can we expect the PPU card to work well enough that it does not slow the system down but speeds it up? Or is it a matter of building a new system to handle the PPU?

So for those in the know, or just want to guess, how soon can we expect the PPU card to work well enough that it does not slow the system down but speeds it up? Or is it a matter of building a new system to handle the PPU?

Well i have one and it doesnt slow my game down...it doesnt speed it up either but i see no less FPS.

Well i have one and it doesnt slow my game down...it doesnt speed it up either but i see no less FPS.

Exactly,

When the original drivers were released, just like nVidia & Ati drivers, they are not always the best or finals and now we are on version 2.5.1 and they seem to not lower frame rate but are doing the extra calculations. Remember the PPU is not there to increase Frame rate it's not an accelerator, it's there to preform calculations for effects & the co-ordinate for those effects on the screen.

One of the problems is your graphics card. It needs a little extra power to render the extra dust and debris, so your FPS will fall most likely no matter what, but if you have a decent card they shouldn't fall very much, maybe 1 or 2 fps.

This is my wish list from NewEgg, I'm hoping to have this by the end of the year. If this can't handle it nothing will.

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Model #: P5WDH DELUXE/WIFI-AP

Item #: N82E16813131025 $269.99

ASUS EN7950GX2/2PHT/1G Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card - Retail

Model #: EN7950GX2/2PHT/1G

Item #: N82E16814121017 $569.99

Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU ATX12V/ EPS12V 750W Power Supply - Retail

Model #: W0117RU

Item #: N82E16817153036 $189.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6700 - Retail

Model #: BX80557E6700

Item #: N82E16819115002 $539.00

ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms LCD Monitor - Retail

Model #: VX922

Item #: N82E16824116375 $269.99

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SB0610 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Model #: 70sb061000000

Item #: N82E16829102004 $71.95

OCZ Gold Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit Gaming System Memory Model OCZ25332048ELGEGXT-K - OEM

Model #: OCZ25332048ELGEGXT-K

Item #: N82E16820227076 $209.99

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Model #: VA8000BWS

Item #: N82E16811133154 $149.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Model #: WD3200JB

Item #: N82E16822144392 $90.99

ASUS 90-C1CHFA-HUAY1 PhysX Processing Unit 128MB GDDR3 PCI PhysX P1 Ghost Recon Edition Physics Card - Retail

Model #: 90-C1CHFA-HUAY1

Item #: N82E16814121015 $240.99

Edited by Fletch

Exactly,

When the original drivers were released, just like nVidia & Ati drivers, they are not always the best or finals and now we are on version 2.5.1 and they seem to not lower frame rate but are doing the extra calculations. Remember the PPU is not there to increase Frame rate it's not an accelerator, it's there to preform calculations for effects & the co-ordinate for those effects on the screen.

...but i think the questions was... are they needed if you don't have the card (for some sort of software physics.

Overall rather nice Fletch, but there's only a few things I'd change about it.

Video card - by the end of the year there should be some DirectX10 cards out. Not that you'll really need it, but it might prevent you from having to upgrade again next year.

CPU - Price/performance wise, you'd be better off getting a E6600, but that all depends on if the prices drop by then, especially with the E6900 coming out soon.

Sound Card - Use a little extra money and go with a X-Fi of some sort. The sound is a lot better than an audigy, and you shouldn't have any problems since your motherboard isn't an nForce4 (which is the only chipset that the Creative cards seem to have problems on, at least according to their techs).

RAM - This is a big thing.....I'd get DDR2 800 instead of DDR2 533, otherwise your CPU isn't getting the benefit of DDR2 technology. This will cause games and applications to run a little slower.

Other than those things (which of course are always changing, so what you'd pay for one of those now could be a lot cheaper in 2 months), looks to be a very nice build. :)

Edited by Nutlink

Video card - by the end of the year there should be some DirectX10 cards out.

CPU - Price/performance wise, you'd be better off getting a E6600.

Sound Card - Use a little extra money and go with a X-Fi of some sort. The sound is a lot better than an audigy.

RAM - This is a big thing.....I'd get DDR2 800 instead of DDR2 533.

I hadn't thought about DX10, so thats a good idea. The CPU I looked at the 6800 and 6600 and felt that for the performance the 6700 was the better price performer. I used the performance charts at Toms Hardware to check the differences. I had heard some people complaining about the X-Fi and wasn't sure if I should go that way. Is there a particular card you favor? Damn that was a screw up on the RAM, I thought I was getting DDR2-800, I messed up on that one. My only other concern was the case being able to fit the PS as big as it is. It was one reason I went with the same maker, but they give no size limit info on that.

The problems you heard about I can almost 100% guarantee were people who had nForce4 motherboards. Any other chipset and you'll be fine, in this case the 975x shouldn't have any probelms with an X-Fi. Also, your PSU choice should fit just fine with your case.

And thinking about it....I might end up getting a PPU just for UT2007 and the god knows how many mods that are going to come out for that beast. Has anyone tried the Cellfactor demo with a PPU yet?

http://www.ageia.com/

The videos are cool. I like the Heavy Rain video (even though it's hard to pick out anything that Ageia might have had their hand in), but the GRAW video shows you how much extra debris goes flying around.

Video card - by the end of the year there should be some DirectX10 cards out. Not that you'll really need it, but it might prevent you from having to upgrade again next year.

CPU - Price/performance wise, you'd be better off getting a E6600, but that all depends on if the prices drop by then, especially with the E6900 coming out soon.

Sound Card - Use a little extra money and go with a X-Fi of some sort. The sound is a lot better than an audigy, and you shouldn't have any problems since your motherboard isn't an nForce4 (which is the only chipset that the Creative cards seem to have problems on, at least according to their techs).

RAM - This is a big thing.....I'd get DDR2 800 instead of DDR2 533, otherwise your CPU isn't getting the benefit of DDR2 technology. This will cause games and applications to run a little slower.

Go with X-FI music... same as platnum but no 5 and 1/4 panel and sounds sweet in GRAW... it's around 100$ and has no issues with your board... the previous poster was correct... it had nforce issues and no beta vista drivers (which it does now)

Other than those things (which of course are always changing, so what you'd pay for one of those now could be a lot cheaper in 2 months), looks to be a very nice build. :)

True PC800 Ram is hard to get and very expensive with no current benifit as the bus on a core2 is 1066 = (533x 2 = DDR2533)

533 will match the bus... if you overclock and can find it + want to pay that much... PC800 may help although with a cas of 5, i'm not sure how much. if you don't, no real benifit unless intel comes out with a higher bus processor for your board.

It would be more benificial to get 533 ECC if your board supports it. ECC offloads memory correction to the ram and can cause a big boost in performance. Check your board specs.

DO NOT get the IDE drive. It's a waste. Go with Serial ATA II, 16MB cache.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Seagate_Bar...seagate+SATA+II

Best 120$ you can spend. You will notice the load difference and make everyone jealous with that one... especitally if you get all these GRAW mods.

All and all a sweet pc.. but that IDE drive you had would be a major dissapointment in it.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

True PC800 Ram is hard to get and very expensive with no current benifit as the bus on a core2 is 1066 = (533x 2 = DDR2533)

533 will match the bus... if you overclock and can find it + want to pay that much... PC800 may help although with a cas of 5, i'm not sure how much. if you don't, no real benifit unless intel comes out with a higher bus processor for your board.

A lot of you guys know a lot more about this than I do, but here is some info I have:

I recently built 2 systems. On one system I used an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo & 2G of DDR2 800 RAM. The other I used an ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe mobo & 2G of DDR2 667 RAM.

After a 6-hour burn-in-test, the 667 performed >1.50 trillion operations, and the 800 performed >3.01 trillion operations.

I don't know if that matters performance wise, or helps the conversation any.

Best 120$ you can spend. You will notice the load difference and make everyone jealous with that one... especitally if you get all these GRAW mods.

I have a SATA drive in the current computer I built. I have had no problems with it other than the initial installation. Remembering that it was not plug and play friendly I did not want another SATA drive till they no longer need third party drivers in order for them to work properly.

I have a SATA drive in the current computer I built. I have had no problems with it other than the initial installation. Remembering that it was not plug and play friendly I did not want another SATA drive till they no longer need third party drivers in order for them to work properly.

it's seriously not an issue really. hit f6 during install and then use a floppy.

Considering that you can't even buy a PC now with a 3.5 floppy unless you special order it, and the fact that I personally haven't used a 3.5 in 5 years. I built the damn thing with out a 3.5 so yeah it was a problem to go out and find a 3.5 last minute to stick the damn thing in to run probably the only program it will ever run. If it ain't capable of being installed from the CD/DVD Drive then I don't want it.

Fletch, Nutlink - GET A MOTEL ROOM AND STOP HIJACKING THIS THREAD!

We are discussing the necessity of the PhysX drivers and trying to get an official word on this, remember?

Cheesus!

(although I must admit that you bump this thread plenty, which is good...)

:ph34r: MadMike

Edited by MadMike