Challenge Accepted (GHOST TOWN)

Tom_Anger

MAP IN PROGRESS - SEE PICS

Not sure if anyone else has already too this challenge, but I have been asked many questions about how this can be made so I accepted the challenge to replicate it using what I have for GRAW map assets. No pressure as this will take some time to make it a decent map, but at the same time figure out how to give cover in many areas. Terrain is quite large.

If everything goes well this should be done in Sept (earlier the better). The CORE and SCE squads have been supportive in having me do this so thanks. If a map is already out there I would like to know because I hate re-inventing the wheel, however, if it is out there and is not up to par for a matchable style map, I will continue the project. I started this last night by 1st getting the terrain setup.

gtown_poster_2_small.jpg

Edited by Tom_Anger

It's gonna take a while to do. I have to run the original map on my xbox to get a feel for it. If anyone has screenshots of the old GR Ghost Town map that may help. I will keep nickling and diming this. The terrain has various holes that I have to fill with static objects. Some will have buildings and others will be flat terrain (grass or sidewalk types). I believe I have the bunkers inside the mountains all done. Now the vast detail which will take a long time.

Thanks. This morning before work I setup the US spawn with burned trees, bushes, damaged vechicles, tires, etc. I will update the main pic page as I progress, but I urge you to be patient. Just the US spawn will take hours to make, never mind the town itself. The terrain is huge and the original map has burned trees and cactus everywhere. That is a week project in itself. I am doing this in any spare time I get.

Phase 2 looks to be complete HOLES filled and buildings added with not much detail.

IMPORTANT:

If anyone has a contact with any GRIN mapper, I need to ask them for permission on the electric poles and wires. They were ripped from the Coop map Strong Point. I do not like ripping without the consent so I wont publish until I can get someone's say on this, otherwise I will remove them all. I may take them out anyway, but I thought they gave the map a nice GRAW touch. Updated pics can be seen in the link below. I will not rush the map so I need to work with player feedback and then nickle and dime the map as I go.

MAP IN PROGRESS - SEE PICS

It's gonna take a while to do. I have to run the original map on my xbox to get a feel for it. If anyone has screenshots of the old GR Ghost Town map that may help. I will keep nickling and diming this. The terrain has various holes that I have to fill with static objects. Some will have buildings and others will be flat terrain (grass or sidewalk types). I believe I have the bunkers inside the mountains all done. Now the vast detail which will take a long time.

get a picture of the command map and go from there

So there you have it Tom.

BTW- how are you dude (I was Joint Ops Reality MOD leader for v0.16-0.18 before handing off to Domox)- we always appreciated yr thoughtful input.

These maps look great- we really do need a few more NOVA-style maps with open spaces to make you use cover effectively. (Some BHD stock maps would port over well to GRAW- you'd need a few more sets of steps to make up for the lack of ladders though)

Keep it up m8

Tx, I know the name turtle very well. This map is coming along quite nicely. Tough to get the exact feel of [GR] Ghost Town, but it is definietly a Ghost Town style map. [GR]'s version didn't have much for detail. Containers, burned trees and some non-burned ones. Old vehicles, some turned over, some stacked. Garbage piles, a concrete building on a hill, etc. That is pretty much the jist of it. The fact that the terrain has many qualities like hills, cliffs, and nice sniping areas is a plus. Getting 1 building on a hill and making it like [GR]'s is not easily possible since a building like the [GR] one doesn't exist (remember the wide screen TV and bathroom, lol), but I have ideas to give the same style gameplay.

When JO:R was around I went nuts with it making maps. Too bad the activity slowed down. My next project after this may be to replicate the movie Black Hawk Down by building Bakara Market with target building, etc. I said May be the next project. When I spend hours making these I typically like to take a little break. They can drain you.....

See you around turtle.

UPDATE

gtown_poster_2_small.jpg

Click the pic and use for your pc wallpaper if you like. Few more days and it may be available. I have a working version, but want to go over it some more.

I've beta tested the map today with a few SCE players (ODiN, Darkness, COB) and we could not decide if the dust storm should stay in the map or be taken out. It is in the center of the town and in our opinion we all liked it more than not. It adds an element of surprise and makes you wait for the dust to build up before making a move to get to some cover. Other than that, I really cannot think of anything else to place in the map to give it a ghost town feel. One has to take into consideration that [GR]'s Ghost Town had different assets and for the most part there were many open areas. Due to the terrain (which I think was the best candidate for the map) it did have it's limitations, however, this may be a decent map overall to play. Large so I am thinking it will be nice for matches. For TDM it will be hard to find someone if they are the last person, but not impossible. Give me a few more days. We are still beta testing this map on Shadow Company Elites server or on other player servers.

P.S. I almost had a heart attack because I was laughing so hard when I found out that I mistakenly added the prop sh_wall_dirt. I remember adding it by accident, but in beta testing, I almost lost it laughing histerically. My wife said it was cute and the players said leave it. Rather than keep it in the center of town, I did move it to a remote location. In a battle that is the funniest thing to see.