Modding/creating custom ambience sounds

GRiN_desmond22

Does this work for changing the main menu music? *sorry girn but the original GR music is better :P)

I don't think they mind, after all, Tom Salta composed the music, not GRIN :)

Tho I think the menu music rules :P

GJ Tom!

sooo.. can you help me out on actually doing this? im kinda new at this and could only follow up so far on it, then get confused. :P

The tutorial I've posted (original post of this thread) shows you step by step exactly how to do this. In my example I exchange the sound of the radio - you just have to apply all that is done in the tutorial to the soundbank which contains the menu music.

Hint: Use Nemon's decompiler to browse through the .xml files to find the one you should mod. May I suggest looking in the data/sound/music/ folder?

The tutorial I've posted (original post of this thread) shows you step by step exactly how to do this. In my example I exchange the sound of the radio - you just have to apply all that is done in the tutorial to the soundbank which contains the menu music.

Hint: Use Nemon's decompiler to browse through the .xml files to find the one you should mod. May I suggest looking in the data/sound/music/ folder?

Yeah, Im still doing this slowly. Thanks for that hint too.

Good luck. If you stumble upon some tricky stuff, please hesitate to ask.

Nah I'm just kidding. But make sure you've followed the instructions in the tutorial, and really tried to understand that before you ask me - I wrote the guide so I wouldn't have to go on the forum and lead everyone by the hand all the time. Of course there are things that you might try to do which aren't described in the tutorial, but then just ask away. Don't be shy.

Edit: Doh.. I feel sooo stupid :wall: I forgot I made an english2 folder to test out jasons firefight mod and changed the context file to english2 and never changed it back >.< thats why I could never get it to work.. silly me. :wall::wall::wall:

Now that I changed that, I keep getting this error:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.21

Streaming WAV file from bank menu_music_wave not found at path: data/sound/music/menu_music/Main_Theme.wav

The wave file is there though.. its strange. If I dont get the error, the sounds just wont play. Im getting closer :P

-Ducky-

Edited by Evilducky

I still don't understand. You say that everytime you fix the problem, a new one comes up - but then when you think you've fixed the error, there will be no sound?

This implies that you don't always think you've fixed the problem and that's when the game won't run. You post could be rephrased as: "Every time you don't think you've fixed the problem, a new one comes up, but when you do think you've fixed the problem, the game will run but without sound." This sentence is REALLY weird - it makes not sense to me.

You have to be much much more specific and clear if you want any help from me.

For example, when you state that "the game will run, but there will be no sound" - do you mean that the game is completely silent, that no sounds work - or do you mean that the single sound that you are trying to mod doesn't work?

OMG I just figured out that a single weapon has more than 100 different sounds :wacko: I know many of them are just edited from a few "main" sounds but do you have any suggestion to simplify the process? what sound editor software do you use? do you use something similar to photoshop's actions to automate the creation process? (yup I'm a noob :lol: )

OMG I just figured out that a single weapon has more than 100 different sounds :wacko:

Yeah that's what you gotta do to make it sound this good! I don't just rip sounds traight off a soundeffect CD and put it in the game - anyone who thinks so need to get their heads straight and give some respect to the art of sound design.

I know many of them are just edited from a few "main" sounds but do you have any suggestion to simplify the process? what sound editor software do you use? do you use something similar to photoshop's actions to automate the creation process? (yup I'm a noob :lol: )

There is no shortcut to the perfect sound /Farbror Barbro

I'm afraid Farbror Barbro was right.

It's always a matter of balance - more sounds make the sound more "real" and "alive", but it also takes more RAM. To save RAM you can lower the quality, but then it becomes a balance of quality vs RAM, so there are always decisions that have to be made. Ask yourself the following questions:

How often will the sound be repeated? If often, then it needs several variations, but more than four is excessive.

How near the player's ear will the sound most often be heard? If it's the player's own gun (which has its own unique stereo samples), it needs to have top qualoity. If it's an enemy weapon it can have lower quality.

To make it simple, I can say that there needs to be at least one of ALL sounds in the weapon's soundbank. If you have 1shot01.wav 1shot02.wav and 1shot03.wav, you can cut the latter two just to ease your workload, but yoy WILL need a 1shot sound - otherwise you won't hear any NPC who fires single shot rounds with that weapon. Random pitch can be used to make a single audio file sound different each time it's triggered.

All weapon sounds (shots, reloads, echoes, etc) are processed manually by me - I didn't use any batch tools for that. I used a batch converter to add echo to the voices of people, and distortion to the radio chatter, but no batch converter was used when editing the weapon sounds. Sorry - you just have to do that work yourself, as I did. It needs to be done with a great passion and ear for sound to make it sound good.

I use Sony SoundForge 8.0 for sound editing.

Yeah that's what you gotta do to make it sound this good! I don't just rip sounds traight off a soundeffect CD and put it in the game - anyone who thinks so need to get their heads straight and give some respect to the art of sound design.

wow I can smell some authentic sound engineer's pride here :lol:

well you have all the rights for it..the sound is really impressive (but you really need to see it from the inside to get the real picture :) )

the fact that all modifies are to be made manually is a kick in the nuts :wacko: I guess I'll have to focus on a single weapon for a long time ;)

well you have all the rights for it..the sound is really impressive (but you really need to see it from the inside to get the real picture :) )

the fact that all modifies are to be made manually is a kick in the nuts :wacko: I guess I'll have to focus on a single weapon for a long time ;)

This is one of the reasons people need to think twice before arguing that a game in 2006 should have everything a game had five years ago, and more. At the same time - who blames them?

Thing is, stuff like graphics, sound and AI are expected to get better, and it's not just to pile up on the features you already have. You often have to do things from the ground up to make it work well - and the next time, when hardware standards have changed, you have to do it from the ground up all over again.

From my end, I can say that better sound doesn't come from just raising the quality of the same samples from 22kHz to 44kHz - there's a lot more to it than that, and as DiGiTALY -TC- stated; you need to see it from the inside to get the real picture.

Games get more and more advanced, and subsequently also more and more difficult to develop. In the cradle of game creating, you could just draw a 2d object for you character to walk around on, and have yourself a nice little sidescrolling platform game. Then you could do 3d objects and slap the 2d image on it as a texture - now suddenly you needed two people to create the game world. What, you think games stopped evolving at that point? Now you need to render lightmaps and different layers of mapping and add advanced physics and what not.

I know you modders have good insight in how tricky it is to create all the different pieces of a game and get them all to work together, but I've read so many ignorant posts on the forum that I just wanted to let those people know, get it off my chest you know. People need to think twice before arguing that a game in 2006 should have everything a game had five years ago, and more. Then again - who blames them?

• 4 months later...

Forgive me if I overlooked something, but if I made a custom map and wanted to customize the sounds heard, but also want those who download the map to also hear it, do they have to go through all the steps too?

Personally if going through the steps is only for myself then I will not bother, but if I can make a custom map and have different tuned play in them, I will definitely be more interested. Please let me know.

Forgive me if I overlooked something, but if I made a custom map and wanted to customize the sounds heard, but also want those who download the map to also hear it, do they have to go through all the steps too?

Personally if going through the steps is only for myself then I will not bother, but if I can make a custom map and have different tuned play in them, I will definitely be more interested. Please let me know.

honestly im still a rookie at modding myself but id say all others need to "manualy" insert the wave files in the directory, but if you add a readme file and the wave in a zip.download it would be very simple fore everyone.

I got a (proberly noob question) myself. I get this error when i get to the main menu after following the 12 step tutorial post #1

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.35

Streaming WAV file from bank radio_wave not found at path: data/sound/environment/radio\pearljam_once.wav

I renamed my wave file to the same as desmond (even though it isnt perljam music. I copy/pasted the exact same sound and wave XML as in his post#1) the 11 wave files are in local\english\sound\environment\radio\pearljam_once.wav ( i wonder why the error is using a \ instead of / infront of perljam?)

Ive always wondered when using windows xp if i have a wave file named "track1" does it just hide the .wav? and if i "force" name the wave file track1.wav would winxp then belive the file root name is track1.wav.wav or do i "override the last parameter when i add .wav in the name? i know im talkin nonsence but plz let me know if it makes sence :D

Edited by Dustuna