[crosshair weapon behaviour]

nobody plays like that though, at least if it isn't their first day. the trick, as i have learned, is in listening. if you don't want to be heard, you need to be perfectly still, including leaving the mouse alone, but you already knew that.

That's the other thing....you don't (at least I don't) hear anything when I'm standing still and looking around with the mouse, yet other people can hear my feet shuffling. Why can't I hear the noise I'm making?

In the sound panel in GR... go to advanced, sound effects. turn them to 100% adjust master volume where ever and make sure eax is on. I think you'll hear yourself then.

That's how I already have it set up.....and I've tried with EAX on and off, along with various other changes and tweaks both in game and with my sound card. Even if I can barely hear my character pivoting on one foot, I know anyone around me can hear it as clear as if I was firing off shots.

This happened with both my old Audigy 2 and my current X-Fi, both paired up with either some 5.1 Logitech speakers or Icemat headphones (depending on the time of day/night I'm playing).

Edited by Nutlink

i got rid of my onboard sound after all and started using an old OEM SB Live Value! from my old Dell. it improved the sound positioning in my headphones by a mile, plus i got rid of the static noice i get with CPU/HD activity, but since my onboard audio is theoretically 8.1 channel HD - it used to let me hear the sounds a lot crisper, while the SB is kinda muffled. i think the onboard used to let me hear more voices simultaneously, but with all the noise coming from the motherboard i would get confused easily. now the sounds aren't as "sharp", and there aren't as many, but still, as soon as i hear _anything_, i know my stats are about to go up by one...

Edited by th33f.

the question in the title is regarding to the joke of a crosshair reticle that we got in GRAW.

Hmmm.... I can't help thinking that the reticle is the only link to the [Ghost Recon] that this game has.

If this game came without the GR sobriquet and reticle - would you ever have associated it with the previous GR titles...?

the question in the title is regarding to the joke of a crosshair reticle that we got in GRAW.

Hmmm.... I can't help thinking that the reticle is the only link to the [Ghost Recon] that this game has.

If this game came without the GR sobriquet and reticle - would you ever have associated it with the previous GR titles...?

Probably not, nevertheless GRAW is a good tactical shooter at least for team vs team.

And yea the unresponsive GRAW reticule is a pain to get used to, but finally I have. I wish though it could be toggled off in an optional server (realism) setting together with no friendly names, more realistic tracers...

Probably not, nevertheless GRAW is a good tactical shooter at least for team vs team.

And yea the unresponsive GRAW reticule is a pain to get used to, but finally I have. I wish though it could be toggled off in an optional server (realism) setting together with no friendly names, more realistic tracers...

I would suggest reticule over no names all together. On the deathcam we have many times called out to shoot the friendlies.

Oliver, unfortunately, the reticle in GRAW is only an illusion. its resemblance to GR's ret is just that, a resemblance...

Peace, i hate to break it to you, but your efforts were in vain. :)

the fact is: GRAW is the first Tom Clancy game to break the traditional crosshair functionality. we might as well have a dot in the center, or any other symbol, it won't matter. the area defined by the crosshair, whether it's wide open or extremely tight, has no effect on a weapon's actual ability to hit targets. this new setup brings all unscoped firefights down to an arcade level, where all you have to do is point and click, disregarding what the reticle indicator shows you. the sooner you realize this the better.

I think the problem is a fundimental one with all shooters that try to be 'realistic'. The simple fact is that playing on a computer you lack the very real 'fear for life' effect that would come in a real fire fight.

The problem with expanding reticles, etc is that they are inherently less accurate than aiming a real weapon in real life. The difference is when you value your life you don't take the time to get a perfect sight picture in combat.

It's a hard problem that I personally don't know how to fix outright. I am a SP player myself and nothing frustrates me more than a unrealistically innaccurate firearm that was created with MP 'balance' in mind. My playing style is that I like to use cover and suppressive fire, etc because that's what is fun for me. The problem is that the reflex player that can snap shoot with a mouse like crazy would find the gameplay too easy.

Personally I think a good suppression model makes a huge difference. No game has touched Red Orchestra in this matter. The screen shake and blurr from close fire gives you a major sense of incoming fire that no other game can touch. Personally I think that's the way that tactical shooters should go.

Peace, i hate to break it to you, but your efforts were in vain. :)

the fact is: GRAW is the first Tom Clancy game to break the traditional crosshair functionality. we might as well have a dot in the center, or any other symbol, it won't matter. the area defined by the crosshair, whether it's wide open or extremely tight, has no effect on a weapon's actual ability to hit targets. this new setup brings all unscoped firefights down to an arcade level, where all you have to do is point and click, disregarding what the reticle indicator shows you. the sooner you realize this the better.

Th33f, That is exactly what I meant but I probably didn't express it clearly. The reticule indicator is useless, you can just ignore what it shows.

It totally beats me why they made it so, and think its sad. Thats why I think they can remove it totally (or possibly put a red dot).

I have never seen any comment from the devs explaining this issue, has anyone?

Since i never played [GR] it is very hard for me to understand what it is exactly that you mean.

When i shoot...my bullets go every where. Example...if you stand about 20 feet from a wall and aim about 6 inches or so above the wall and shoot...you can see some bullets hitting the wall. It gets more pronounced when you just hold the mouse button.

Note: it also does this on single fire.

Am i misunderstanding what you guys mean?

Since i never played [GR] it is very hard for me to understand what it is exactly that you mean.

When i shoot...my bullets go every where. Example...if you stand about 20 feet from a wall and aim about 6 inches or so above the wall and shoot...you can see some bullets hitting the wall. It gets more pronounced when you just hold the mouse button.

Note: it also does this on single fire.

Am i misunderstanding what you guys mean?

Postal, the GRAW reticule dots, the ones that move and closes when you aim from the hip, does not relect the true spread of the bullets like they did in [GR].

In [GR] you knew that your spread of bullets was going to be within that area of the reticule dots, ...so when the reticule was fully closed and your aim was dead on, you knew you were going to hit. If the reticule was open, like just stopped running with a sniper gun (that has a 'slow rate of closure of the reticule) your probability of a hit was very low. You had too wait long enough for the reticule to close in on the target before it was a good idea to squeeze off the round.

In GRAW, the reticule can be pretty much wide open (just after you stopped running) and it closes very slowly, but STILL you can fire immediately from the hip with a high accuracy, an accuracy which is not at all relected by the visual impression from reticule dots.

[GR] players like me, th33f and others find it puzzling to see this, and therefore think it can be deleted altogether (at least the moving dots).

IN GRAW you have the recoil (and gun raises) which is good! In [GR] the reticule reflected the recoil (a fast symmetric bloom/closure of the ret.) and there was no raise.

PS It's a shame you missed playing [GR], but it's never too late to try out a classic game...

Thanks for the info Peace! I see everyones point now.

I dont see where it would be that hard to fix this...but im not a programmer either...lol

PS It's a shame you missed playing [GR], but it's never too late to try out a classic game...

Yeah...i missed that game cause i was playing others.