Music in custom level

GRIM-GENERAL

In the single player campaign, the music is started from the event manager script - a type of script that is not present in a multiplayer level, so I really don't know how you would add music to your multiplayer level.

Fact is, I don't know why you would want to add music to an MP level - while SP is a storytelling experience with cinematic elements (where music has a natural place), MP is a lot more competitive as players play against other players, and they don't want music because it only masks the sound of the in-game surroundings (which becomes a great handicap).

If you want to add a radio that plays in a certain part of a map, this is really easy:

Basics: You fly around in the editor with the W A S D buttons on your keyboard, and press space bar to lock position and use your mouse to edit stuff. While flying, the mouse wheel can be used to alter the speed.

In the editor, select the "sound" layer from the layed drop-down menu.

"Fly" with the camera close to where you want the sound source - as the sound of the radio is muffled as it is supposed to come from inside a building, you should place the radio sound source inside a building.

Click the right mouse button to spawn the sound source (it is represented in the editor by two cones pointing their tips at each other - in profile they resemble a bow tie). The sound source that is currently selected is always green, and all others are red.

Click on the little floating window that says "name:" and under it, "cue:". Mark the empty box right of the word "cue", and write the "radio".

That sound source will at the start of the level make a decision at random to play and loop either a set of four Ill Niño or that "All Along the Watchtower" cover. If you want to make sure it plays only Ill Niño write "radio_a" in the sound box, and if you want to make sure it only plays the "All Along the Watchtower" cover write "radio_b" in the sound box.

Tip: Radios are perfect to place in buildings that are close to good sniper positions or are themselves good sniper positions - to make it harder for any sniper hidden there to hear people sneak up on them: A sniper position becomes more interesting if it isn't perfect - you don't want to create spots where people can camp an entire match.

Sorry can't help you with the "gameplay type" music, but I hope I managed to talk you into not using that on MP levels... :thumbsup:

yup we don't need music untill we don't get SP tools :)

but about new sounds... I don't know if you (grin) will release the bank tool but could you (desmond) explain us the process of adding new sounds? is it that simple just like banking a few .wav together? are the .xml generated from the bank tool?

and now a general question... is it really impossible to add the event manager script to a multiplayer (not coop) mode? (eg: timed events, action triggered objects,etc)

In the editor, select the "sound" layer from the layed drop-down menu.

"Fly" with the camera close to where you want the sound source - as the sound of the radio is muffled as it is supposed to come from inside a building, you should place the radio sound source inside a building.

Click the right mouse button to spawn the sound source (it is represented in the editor by two cones pointing their tips at each other - in profile they resemble a bow tie). The sound source that is currently selected is always green, and all others are red.

Click on the little floating window that says "name:" and under it, "cue:". Mark the empty box right of the word "cue", and write the "radio".

That sound source will at the start of the level make a decision at random to play and loop either a set of four Ill Niño or that "All Along the Watchtower" cover. If you want to make sure it plays only Ill Niño write "radio_a" in the sound box, and if you want to make sure it only plays the "All Along the Watchtower" cover write "radio_b" in the sound box.

Tip: Radios are perfect to place in buildings that are close to good sniper positions or are themselves good sniper positions - to make it harder for any sniper hidden there to hear people sneak up on them: A sniper position becomes more interesting if it isn't perfect - you don't want to create spots where people can camp an entire match.

Sorry can't help you with the "gameplay type" music, but I hope I managed to talk you into not using that on MP levels... :thumbsup:

What does the edit millieu do? and how do you use it? I noticed you can place little green spheres multiple times and select how big the big light blue sphere is.

Edited by [99]-Athenian

Boy that was a mouthfull Grin Desmond22,

The reason I wanted music is because of a hamburger hill game I designed for the original GR. It has music in the smoke zone.

I could use any of my own music as long as it was in the proper format 22khz 16 bit.

The games are in very small areas and hearing the enemy is completly useless.

"since you can see the enemy at all times."

I will give your directions a try. Do you think placing the radio sounds under the static ground level will work like putting the radio in a building?

Can I convert my own music to the same format GRAW uses and import it into the game?

What format are the sounds in GRAW?

Edited by GRIM-GENERAL

Desmond, music is currently featured in some modded RvS maps just to add some flavor. One map called Chutes and Ladders has a very "spy vs spy" type music clip that actually seems to heighten the combat stress at one of the choke points.

While Chutes is a really "arcade-y" type map, its fun for a change. I've also heard music in other modded maps; one is a James Bond themed map and has some Bond music...

Just a small FYI. :)

I don't deny that music can heighten the stress and add flavour to an MP game - it does so to an SP game so why wouldn't it do it to an MP game? Whoever denies that is flat out lying. I merely stated that music (albeit atmospheric and tension-heightening) is an unnecessary element and most players will probably turn it off in favour of hearing other sounds better (like the sound of you enemy's feet). It's a tactical decision that makes sense.

I talked to one of the mission scripters and none of the two scripts that are needed to state what music is to be played and start it are present in the set of files that makes an MP map - and he wasn't sure it was possible to add that code to another script or add those two scripts containing only the music code to an MP map. It just looks like an excessively tricky thing to do.

I am, however, writing a little guide on how to add new sound elements to you map, and using that you can add music to it in an "ugly" way (not the way it's meant to be added, but it works fine).

"Edit Milieu" is a feature for altering echo-characteristics between different parts of a map. The process of adding these nodes never got user-friendly enough for the feature to be used in the final game.