OGR Co-op Tournament?

Rocky

OGR Co-op Tournament?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My proposal -

GR.NET host it, but, (and this is the good bit)....

instead of one clan like Alpha, GR.Net or +SD getting landed with the responsibility of producing all the maps, get them and other scripters interested in this to produce one map each with a total of say 5 to 10 maps each with a unique style of play.

I would love the opportunity to produce a map for a tourney.

Lighty.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My proposal -

GR.NET host it, but, (and this is the good bit)....

instead of one clan like Alpha, GR.Net or +SD getting landed with the responsibility of producing all the maps, get them and other scripters interested in this to produce one map each with a total of say 5 to 10 maps each with a unique style of play.

I would love the opportunity to produce a map for a tourney.

Lighty.

Hi, we already discussed this before: http://www.specialdetachment.org/forum/vie...22&start=15

I am in agreement with you it would be cool idea for us all to host a mission but it`s also just not practicle!

Tinker

:o

FIRST THINGS FIRST, THE LINK YOU POSTED IS DEAD :D

secondly, I don't think its impractical for Mission Modders to provide a map each to a Tourney....obviously we'd only need 5 or so...so whoever wants to take those on. Much easier and quicker then laying the burden on one clan and waiting 6 months or more for it.

And then Gr.Net could host it if they wanted to..post up the traditional coop rules and a small laddder showing results.

I think if ppl are keen then it wouldn't be too difficult, would it?

• 1 month later...

[NH] AYE

Just an idea

By some method, choose either a:

-FF, Defend (of the AS 2.6 variety)

-or a tournament style mission that is public domain,

for each match of a tournament.

It is like competitive golfers playing a golf course. They have played it many times, are totally familiar with it but so is everyone else. Knowledge of the course does not guarantee the best score or even a good score.

Who would host it?

-Everyone would host their own match and TS.

-To verify scoring, a member from a different squad would act as observer. All squads would be required to supply an observer each match.

The observer would be responsible for

-explaining any ground rules

- taking screen shots of the After Action screen; saving a missionstats.htm; and for missions, the final score it generates.

-Submit the above to a common site.

-Ensuring the game is set up properly: no respawns, time limit if needed, designated kit restriction file, mods activated etc.

-starting the game after everyone has readied up.

The participating squad would have backups available of the scoring.

Still, this would be a huge task to organize for any group, but the task of one team supplying a server, graders, new missions is eliminated. Observers not showing up or performing their duties could be problematic.

Would I be up to organizing such a tournament? I am not cut out for it, but I would like to participate in something like it.

As stated in the beginning, just an idea.

[NH] AYE

Just an idea

By some method, choose either a:

-FF, Defend (of the AS 2.6 variety)

-or a tournament style mission that is public domain,

for each match of a tournament.

It is like competitive golfers playing a golf course. They have played it many times, are totally familiar with it but so is everyone else. Knowledge of the course does not guarantee the best score or even a good score.

Who would host it?

-Everyone would host their own match and TS.

-To verify scoring, a member from a different squad would act as observer. All squads would be required to supply an observer each match.

The observer would be responsible for

-explaining any ground rules

- taking screen shots of the After Action screen; saving a missionstats.htm; and for missions, the final score it generates.

-Submit the above to a common site.

-Ensuring the game is set up properly: no respawns, time limit if needed, designated kit restriction file, mods activated etc.

-starting the game after everyone has readied up.

The participating squad would have backups available of the scoring.

Still, this would be a huge task to organize for any group, but the task of one team supplying a server, graders, new missions is eliminated. Observers not showing up or performing their duties could be problematic.

Would I be up to organizing such a tournament? I am not cut out for it, but I would like to participate in something like it.

As stated in the beginning, just an idea.

I was thinking along these lines too, But...

Some teams are not able to host, as much as others like 9MS would happily make there servers available, it`s still not practical for a basic team to join in.

Some teams just want to enter and have fun, not have any admin to do, as they don`t have the ability or time for instance.

The Whole Tournie, if one ever does materialize, should be prepared beforehand by a select group who are willing to provide servers, host and run admin duties until the end.

As of a Public Tournie Forum.

Mission ideas is nice actually, you know the map but under pressure anything could go wrong. As much as i would prefare to see Clean Inserts onto a new Mission.

At least we are thinking, would be nice to hear some other ideas?

Tinker

:cheers: