Plz explain the details of what "OGR Coop" really means

I am a huge coop player. I buy most games for coop mainly. Always have. That feature is pretty common in flight sims, but less so in FPSs, tactical or otherwise.

Now for my shameful admission. I never played original GR. I played the heck out of the rainbow 6 series in coop. (at least until lockdown showed up ... but i digress). And

I am still having a love affair with SWAT 4 coop (I particulary enjoy the amazing mods made specifically for coop like the SSF mod...but i digress yet agin..) But I just never played [GR] PC.

So now you know my dirty little secret. Don't hate me cuz im beautif...er... ignorant.

Please explain to me ( after chiding me for missing [GR]) what exactly the features are that are meant when people say "We want [GR] coop" . After all, that is what is being promised. And i assume this means a style of play and a set of features.

Obviously, we all want

1. respawn options (from zero to infinite ...to each their own),

2. we want the game to continue when the EL dies,

3. we want dedicated servers with lots of admin features to control the games integrity,

4. we want directIP connect (which i fear we may not get.... I'm sensing a gamespy type agreement in place that forbids it...but im just guessing here).

Please list, in line item format, the detailed explanations of the features and functions etc that are really meant when some one says "[GR] COOP". Exactly how is this term to be distinguished from the generic term COOP. I see it used in this very specfic way alot, and shamefully, i do not yet understand the nuances of what is meant.

Thanks,

Sleepdoc

Edited by Sleepdoc

[GR] Co-op featured, amongst many things:

• Up to nine players at once, and more with later mods, vs. AI.
  • Full support for all SP missions, custom missions, and general gametypes like Recon, Firefight, etc.
  • DirectIP support, including ASE support.
  • Dedicated server, although not significantly better than GRAW's current server support. Lower tech requirements, but a video card, etc, was needed. The server had to be at least powerful enough to be a client.
  • No requirement for a team leader to survive. If the current TL died, command map control would pass down the remaining player list in a more or less controlled fashion.
  • Dropped players would become friendly AI, with the ability to respawn into them if a player died.
  • Full control of respawns, ranging from none, to a team pool, to a fixed number of individual respawns.

The list is longer, but I think these are at least some of the major differences between [GR] and GRAW co-op, at this time.

well. If that is what [GR] means, then [GR] is pretty striaght forward stuff. Nothin too special there. O fc ourse, I am spoiled. I played sims most of my early gaming days, and all those features were considered pretty common (expect for dedicated servers, which became common in more recent games.)

the one that is very common in hard core sims like falcon 4 or toerh sims of the past, and one that i rarely see anymore in other game genres, is the bit about the aI taking over a "body" if the body loses human connection. That seemingly simple addition certainly adds to a more seemless coop expereince in flgiht sims. I can see how useful that would be here.

But the real question is this......

DOES GRiN KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS MEAN WHEN YOU ALL SAY "[GR] COOP", AND THEN THEY COME BACK AND SAY "WE ARE MAKING [GR] COOP".

for example, i could easily see how this nuance of the AI brain picking up seemlesly where dropped players left off could get overlooked.

With all the "WE WANT [GR] COOP" posts that have been bantied around in here, has any one yet taken the time to line item exactly what that means in a thread where GRiN actually posted back that they understood? Just curious. It seems fairly easy for GRiN to say "[GR] COOP" and for players to say "[GR] COOP", but if both sides compared notes, their may be some vital functions and features that fall through the gaps. Not all features of [GR] coop may be necessarily understood the same on both sides.

just wondering.

Sleepdoc

At its time [GR] was the best there was. Not lineair, great environment, sounds, moving trees and you really had the feel you were there. (I miss that in GRAW really!)

Next to that the missions were outstanding, demanding you to be carefull, and pick the right weapon/kit.

I havent played much other games next to [GR] only moh and cod, i liked them because of the WW2 setting, but those games were lineair to the end...... you had the feel you were in a movie.

Just like stated the 9 man team, savegames, good storyline, nice intro's, MP interface were very good. i miss in GRAW the possibility to sort out mods, set them active or inactive, and thus be able to join public servers with weapons mod de-activated, now you constantly have to move files, and the files suffer from that.....

For GRAW COOP online to become succesfull the teamnumber should increase, and moddabillity should become better (as far as I know GRIN is working on that) I won't buy other games, I simply download the demo, dislike the game and uninstall again. The [GR] setup simply is the best out up til date for me, and that is my taste.... Let everyone find out for themselves what they like most, I don''t know how it goes with other games but the number of dissapointed [GR] fans was a sighn lots of people were longing for [GR] in todays setting, and most of them didn't get what they wanted. I don't blame GRIN for that, I blame UBI for letting go GR2, and not giving a good lead on GRAW development, If you have never been addicted to [GR] it is impossible to make a predecessor, though GRAW has advantages over [GR] I still like [GR] the best, but that is after 4/5 years of laying, GRAW is just out.

I keep faith in the future..... give us more players coop and firefight modes, better anti cheat and more maps to play and you will see.... :g_withgrin:

Edited by Forrester

I havent played much other games next to [GR] only moh and cod, i liked them because of the WW2 setting, but those games were lineair to the end...... you had the feel you were in a movie.

As an aside Forrester,

If you are looking for great, suspenseful, non linear Coop in a diverse series of WW2 settings, you need to play Hidden and dangerous 2. More specifically, you will need hidden and dangerous 2 and its add-on pack, called sabre squadron. Becuase with sabre squadron (the addon) came the addition of coop.

totally non linear, muti objective missions

NO AI, however, in coop - humans only

Great weapons selections

Lots of stealth. not all gunning as it is a British SAS sim.(some times, the only way to get a weapon you need is to kill a enemy that has it and take it from his cold dead hands)

Dedicated server

repawn amounts set by host

spectate after death if allowed.

sniping is very satisfying

play the exact campiagn missions again in Coop.

There is more.

Sorry to get off topic. but any guy yearning for Coop, and then playing COD and MOH in hopes of filling that need deserves a little more information.

:shifty:

Sleepdoc

Edited by Sleepdoc

There is also something that [GR] had that GRAW don't have, It had Ubi. Ok i admit that ubi was really a bad software, crashed most of the time etc. BUT, that was a place where you could meet other people and speak with them in real time to get into a coop game.

In GRAW you have basically no way to do so. Expect this annoying Gamespy to organize a coop game with people that you might want to play with in the future.

So since i know very little people wanting to be spamed publicity before each game on gamespy.

I guess we endup stuck into that random joiner to your games, without any cohesion between the community except Ghostrecon.net

Basicaly there is no social networking interest in GRAW coop.

So ubi had a positive impact and was a big part of the success of [GR] (social networking in coop). Even if we all hated ubi...

Edited by Attila

what exactly the features are that are meant when people say "We want [GR] coop"

To refresh my memory on the subject, I searched some posts by AS Bueghler and Sheldon. :thumbsup:

From my POV, the capability for a team to potentially host a coop tournament or be a participant in one..

Additions that would help

- functional scripting or mission editor which is necessary to make server sided mission files. Hundreds if not thousands are out there for GR. Many are top notch. The team I am on participated in Alpha Squad, +Special Detachment and Omega Ops coop tournaments.

All of them gave our team much to look forward to and we enjoyed being participants in all of them.

- SADS files

- no TL dies, mission over([GR] had a chain of command that could be set before the game started)

- direct IP connection

- squad size; 9 would do for a start point.

- observer mode after death.

- remote administration of server settings

These general options should have been included for mp:

-Replays

-Server kick/ ban button

-Respawns set anywhere from individual or team; 0 to infinite and anything in between.

-Being able to see what mods are active before joining a server, along with ping and who is playing.

Buehgler_AS wrote:...concerned that UBI (and maybe Grin) really does not know what co-op tourney play looks like. I'm starting to get a bad feeling in my gut that the promised "[GR] coop mode" will be nothing more than a firefight style of play. If that's what they think coop is, then we are in for a HUGE letdown until they give us some scripting tools and a reference guide so we can start making some proper multiplayer coop missions for this engine and game system.

GRAW can satisfy MP coop needs if these and other basic features that were in [GR] are included.

Look at [GR] as an outline of basic features that make mp functional and then build on top of that. I'm not saying it has to be exactly like [GR] but I'm disappointed about the functionality and lack of options/ features of the game as is. Nothing more, nothing less. -[NH]2W

Edited by wombat50

interesting. I was drawn into comment. I was invoked here, as it were, where I before had no interest in making comment. How VERY incredibly, disturbingly interesting.

I have nothing to say on the subject of this topic. How my name got in here before I ever posted in here, well.....

Nah, nothing to say...

well. If that is what [GR] means, then [GR] is pretty striaght forward stuff. Nothin too special there. O fc ourse, I am spoiled. I played sims most of my early gaming days, and all those features were considered pretty common (expect for dedicated servers, which became common in more recent games.)

the one that is very common in hard core sims like falcon 4 or toerh sims of the past, and one that i rarely see anymore in other game genres, is the bit about the aI taking over a "body" if the body loses human connection. That seemingly simple addition certainly adds to a more seemless coop expereince in flgiht sims. I can see how useful that would be here.

But the real question is this......

DOES GRiN KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS MEAN WHEN YOU ALL SAY "[GR] COOP", AND THEN THEY COME BACK AND SAY "WE ARE MAKING [GR] COOP".

for example, i could easily see how this nuance of the AI brain picking up seemlesly where dropped players left off could get overlooked.

With all the "WE WANT [GR] COOP" posts that have been bantied around in here, has any one yet taken the time to line item exactly what that means in a thread where GRiN actually posted back that they understood? Just curious. It seems fairly easy for GRiN to say "[GR] COOP" and for players to say "[GR] COOP", but if both sides compared notes, their may be some vital functions and features that fall through the gaps. Not all features of [GR] coop may be necessarily understood the same on both sides.

just wondering.

Sleepdoc

Very good question.

UBI certainly doesn't know what Coop is.

I'm hopeful that GRIN has read some of these other Coop threads.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=37811

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34369

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=37808

Best one yet...

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34386

Get the GR demo and buy the Gold Edition with the expansions. You get great coop and hundreds of excellent user made mods that extend the game for hundreds of hours. The Frostbite mod alone justifies the purchase. GR gives you a different tactical gaming experience than GRAW, but they are the best tactical games you can buy, IMO.