Gamespy - Server only shows if added to Favorites tab

Finally, about 3 months after GRAW release, we tried to have a proper team vs team scrimmage, AFZ vs ATU. However, an annoying bug kept this from occuring:

What happened was...all AFZ players joined the dedicated server (via the Favorites tab), but the ATU guys said they couldn't find the server. We checked it...and true the AFZ server did not show on the regular list, on the 'Internet' tab. It was appearantly only showing in the favorites tab, i.e., if it had been added to favorites on a previous occation...

After multiple attempts and frustration by Roco changing different server settings, downing the server..putting it up...downing it...putting it up...we gave up and one of our members simply tried to host the scrimmage. However, lag issues and drops made matching impossible...also having to down the server to make adjustments each time is crazy, we simply gave up and had to cancel the scrimmage :(

What is causing the darn Gamespy bug is still a mystery, but I noticed several servers in my favorites map that was not at all displayed on the regular list. This was not a unique bug...

It is sooo frustrating :angry: I was really looking forward to this scrimm finally happening

What do we learn from this. Well, nothing new but it must be stressed once more:

We need to get rid of Gamespy

We need direct IP connect

We need to be able to set up the server without having to down it every time (map, repetitions, spawns, timelimit, the lot...like it was in [GR])

I honestly can't see GRAW functionable for laddering if this doesn't happen, which is sad because the game in itself is good.

There are several other issues that need to be sorted out to make laddering team vs team viable, but I'm to tired at the moment and I think it has probably been covered elsewhere in one of the wishlist threads...

You could paste the IP directly into your profile.xml file. Just add any server as a favorite, close the game, open the file and put in the IP.

Pretty handy for joining your own LAN server at its 192.168.x.x address when Gamespy reports the internet IP to you.

You could paste the IP directly into your profile.xml file. Just add any server as a favorite, close the game, open the file and put in the IP.

Pretty handy for joining your own LAN server at its 192.168.x.x address when Gamespy reports the internet IP to you.

Yea, we even suggested that to ATU but everybody is not comfortable to edit their XML files (and I have full understanding for that), and I really think that shouldn't be necessary...

Sunday evening -- in my Favorites section, with pings, and joinable, but NOT in the primary server browser:

AttackForceZ

Shadow Company Elite

Ghost Squads

UBISOFT Official Chi-01

UBISOFT Official Chi-02

UBISOFT Official Chi-03

UBISOFT Official Chi-04

If UBI needs an excuse to break a contract with Gamespy, I think Gamespy failing to display half of the only regularly full servers on the planet might do the job. :thumbsup:

Let me add what i tried.

We didn't realize it was not on the list in the beginning since we join through favorites until ATU told us.

Joining through favorites worked flawlessly for all our members.

Here is the list

#1 downed server, shut off all software firewall.. still issue

#2 shut off ip blocking utility... still issue

#3 Rebooted server entirely ... still issue (none of above re-enabled)

#4 Cleared all xml's for server profiles and created a generic default.... still issue

#5 tried it in non dedicated mode from server... still issue.

#6 Re-did network config. (2 hours work... changed from windows ras to straight to the server and updated the dns, ip and such + plugged in my cisco 501 and configured the ports) still -issue

#7 Re-installed GRAW entirely on server after uninstalling and making sure directory was clear... same issue still (brought up with default server config and none of the above enabled (firewall, blocker and such)

#9 Created new gamespy login for server... same issue

#10 Checked with teammates .. other servers in favorites (that logos listed) up but not in the list so decided it's a gamespy issue.

What i do know did work...

One of our members and one of ATU tested putting up a server. They did work but very laggy. Our member i know had no firewall and was plugged straight into his cable modem.

What has happened?? Game spy change a port? If so we need to know so i can change my hardware firewall ... Cisco pix 501 to match it.

Also note our server had no traffic today which is odd. I don't think it has since Sat night when i downed it to add a new server profile for matching on Sunday. So the problem i think started late sat early sun EST.

:o=

Edited by ROCOAFZ

To add to this explanation... cisco was not plugged in when this started happening. only after the fact as i was thinking of selling it...

ACL is not filtering outbound though.

Also note on our website

http://www.attackforcez.com

Server info displays.

UPDATE....

Apparently someone from gamespy or such must have read this...

As majically all servers that weren't listed just came up. That includes ours.

Someone kick those gamespy servers a few times for us!

GRR!!!

Edited by ROCOAFZ

I'll add one more thing... none of the servers that i know of did anything to put themselves back on the list. Ours was off the list while i was posting and hadn't been on for the last hour. I did nothing to make it come back. I imagine the others didn't either.

Glad you fixed it. I was going to say, some people have to remove their anti-spyware programs to make Gamespy work. I personally think those programs are doing their job blocking gamespy :P

The funny thing is I did nothing to fix it. Everything i did had the same result. Also note ... it wasn't just me not seeing those servers including our own... scroll up to Logos post

Better yet I'll quote the one's that he listed that were not showing up..

AttackForceZ

Shadow Company Elite

Ghost Squads

UBISOFT Official Chi-01

UBISOFT Official Chi-02

UBISOFT Official Chi-03

UBISOFT Official Chi-04

Ya it was to bad it didn't work out. Like Logos said, if UBI needs an excuse to break contract with Gamespy here is a valid one.

Look forward to trying the next scrim AFZ.

Bad thing was Cutter... Gamespy straightend out at 2:30am GRR!

That was from 9pm (maybe earlier as realized at that point) until 2:30am

direct ip connection has been asked for since the game was released. since we don't have it by now i would assume we won't have it.

The favorites actually use a sort of ip connection. Check out your profile.xml after adding a server to your favorites. That means it is possible once ubi lets the GRin guys make a go of it.

direct ip connection has been asked for since the game was released. since we don't have it by now i would assume we won't have it.

The favorites actually use a sort of ip connection. Check out your profile.xml after adding a server to your favorites. That means it is possible once ubi lets the GRin guys make a go of it.

it's been possible since the beginning and they haven't made a go of it yet...

it's been possible since the beginning and they haven't made a go of it yet...

Maybe UBI has some kind of agreement with Gamespy and direct ip connecting or using something like ASE would break the agreement/contract??

gheyspy is doing more harm than good. if there is a contract surely there is a way out for failing to provide full support. mark it up to ubi being ubi again.