How much longer for AW?

A question to GRIN I suppose.

How much longer do you have to turn this game around and make it a success? How much longer does your budget give you to develop this game?

It’s all very well that the GRIN guys post to this forum and get their proverbial legs humped by the AW faithful – but you are a business and not a charity.

So how long can GRIN continue to apply fixes before the economics bite and somebody says ‘Well there are so few people playing that it’s just not economical to continue’?

How much longer do you have to turn this game around and make it a success? How much longer does your budget give you to develop this game?

It’s all very well that the GRIN guys post to this forum and get their proverbial legs humped by the AW faithful – but you are a business and not a charity.

So how long can GRIN continue to apply fixes before the economics bite and somebody says ‘Well there are so few people playing that it’s just not economical to continue’?

I think this is greatly dependant on how many rejoin when dedi files and admincommands arrive ...

Off topic but: Thanks Wille. You GRiN guys must wear armoured underware and have really powerful self esteems to keep putting up with the rampant hatred that abounds on these boards. I "grin" when I see the GRiN posts, please keem 'em coming! Its so rare (and much appreciated) to have the developers to chat with.

sorry oliver, but this is a business issue and not something we can answer in a public forum, but I can just say that we are not going anywhere for a long time.

OK - then why not get one of your business peeps to post us all an update.

I for one would like a reason to be upbeat about the future of this game without relying on blind faith....

Have you any idea how many copies have been sold.

I think you need to check , its paid for itself and then some.

Patches and add ons normally relate to how well a game has sold.

Do the maths, 1.10 .1.16. 1.20 .121 and more to come.

This game has sold over and above 570.000 copies on both formats.

And yes its still selling.

Browse your calender - the answer is there:

"When there are two Tuesdays in a week"

Give them a break - they work on the next patch before a previous patch has even be released.

Nobody's perfect and nothing is perfect so nor is GR:AW but GRIN works on it and note: not on their premises but on the community's.

But if they had to respond to a plus 100 requests we'd end up with a game that no one wants to buy or play.

I for one am not happy with the coop part and as it is now, our team will never play GR:AW in coop as we don't want some of us stand on the sideline: "One for all and all for one".

But heck it does not spoil our day or life as it's a great SP game. Almost perfect even :ph34r:

sorry oliver, but this is a business issue and not something we can answer in a public forum, but I can just say that we are not going anywhere for a long time.

OK - then why not get one of your business peeps to post us all an update.

I for one would like a reason to be upbeat about the future of this game without relying on blind faith....

OliverReed, the "business peeps" are called UBISOFT. Why dont you ask them on their official forums? :rolleyes:

The patches are bringing the game from a beta to a final product. The patches should have been in the retail release. also what are the figures for the PC sales? I would like to know that but have been unable to find it.

Yeah, the part about not going anywhere for a long time is promising. Little things like that do much for my confidence both in GRiN and in GRAW. Even in UBISOFT, much as I AM pretty disappointed in them for making us the second-class players behind the XboX360 crowd.

The patches are bringing the game from a beta to a final product. The patches should have been in the retail release. also what are the figures for the PC sales? I would like to know that but have been unable to find it.

It's been said many times that there wasn't enough time to program everything prior to the initial release. IMO, the community would have revolted if an additional 6 months of programming were tacked on after the Xbox version came out. I remember the hate and gnashing of teeth that we all went through this past Spring when UBI delayed the game 5 weeks.

This is a different situation than other FPS games that have been released in the past while. The developer is actually using the community to "test" the product. Like it or not, it is unique. Who knows...maybe (and hopefully) when everything is finished, hordes of gamers will come to GRAW for it's style, engine, and flexibility.

when everything is finished, hordes of gamers will come to GRAW for it's style, engine, and flexibility.

not for its maps though. this is one area of the game that really suffered on the PC platform. to refresh your memory, there are no weather effects, no fog, and the design in general is sub-par. looking at Avenues, we know they can be made bigger, but it isn't hard to realize that Avenues is the least played MP map at the moment. why - poor design. no that it isn't pretty to look at... this was the case with dead horse's clear modded maps. Ghost Town, a great [GR] map, yet GTC was an abomination just because the fog wasn't there. a well thought out battlefiled would suddenly turn into a lame point and click practice shootout.

big open maps don't work without fog. period. that's why the small ones are so popular in GRAW, as the "within 500ft gameplay" rocks. being able to see beyond that distance, but at the same time _not_ being able to see an enemy at that distance really cripples the flow of the game on maps like that.

we need fog, GRIN. fog. i'll say it again. fog. please.

Well you do have to keep in mind that the PC community was already jacked around by UBI with GR2..... of course, that is in no way the fault of GRIN.... but some bad feelings toward UBI should be understood....I know I was really peeved when GR2 was delayed time after time then finally cancelled. But, I feel that GRIN has been doing some good work with GRAW.

I am pleased to finally have TDM to play. I do hope that some server files, maybe a developers kit, and definitely some admin tools (to kick/ban the "tools" which are showing up on servers starting tk fests) will come out sometime soon, as well.

I hope that some of the old GR community which got torqued at the lack of true MP play in the initial release will give the game another look.... GR was really the first MP game I really got into...I hope to see some of those old clan tags I got used to seeing around on servers showing up on the GRAW servers...

when everything is finished, hordes of gamers will come to GRAW for it's style, engine, and flexibility.

not for its maps though. this is one area of the game that really suffered on the PC platform. to refresh your memory, there are no weather effects, no fog, and the design in general is sub-par. looking at Avenues, we know they can be made bigger, but it isn't hard to realize that Avenues is the least played MP map at the moment. why - poor design. no that it isn't pretty to look at... this was the case with dead horse's clear modded maps. Ghost Town, a great [GR] map, yet GTC was an abomination just because the fog wasn't there. a well thought out battlefiled would suddenly turn into a lame point and click practice shootout.

big open maps don't work without fog. period. that's why the small ones are so popular in GRAW, as the "within 500ft gameplay" rocks. being able to see beyond that distance, but at the same time _not_ being able to see an enemy at that distance really cripples the flow of the game on maps like that.

we need fog, GRIN. fog. i'll say it again. fog. please.

Agreed.

I lived in Mexico City for several years. It rained everyday for 8 months during the monsoon season. I'd like to see some weather also.

Additionally, if you'll allow, I'd like to correct your fog statement. I remember precisely two days that I could see as far as they depict in GRAW and that was after major thunderstorms cleared the air. Why? There's no pollution in GRAW. Where's the thick clouds of car exhaust and industrial pollutants? If this is going to be a real-life simulation, where's the "smog?"

OK, rossiski, if we go THERE, then we have to ask for tens of millions of Mexicans to get in the way of our firefights as well. I'd suppose that since the entire population of Mexico City was evacuated (what a task THAT must have been) for the NAJSA thing, and it would have been DAYS before, that the smog has cleared substantially for all the cars and buses that aren't emitting noxious fumes into the air (Nitrous Oxide, Carbom Monoxide, and various hydrocarbons). Or maybe in the future, everyone in Mexico City drives the same (looks like a Ford to me) sedan with a horribly efficient, Zero-Emissions hybrid or hydrogen fuel cell drive system. We've got seven years to go yet, which is 6 years or so more than the hippies seem to think it'll take for kittens and rainbows to be coming out of our respective tailpipes...

Ya know I luvya....

OK, rossiski, if we go THERE, then we have to ask for tens of millions of Mexicans to get in the way of our firefights as well. I'd suppose that since the entire population of Mexico City was evacuated (what a task THAT must have been) for the NAJSA thing, and it would have been DAYS before, that the smog has cleared substantially for all the cars and buses that aren't emitting noxious fumes into the air (Nitrous Oxide, Carbom Monoxide, and various hydrocarbons). Or maybe in the future, everyone in Mexico City drives the same (looks like a Ford to me) sedan with a horribly efficient, Zero-Emissions hybrid or hydrogen fuel cell drive system. We've got seven years to go yet, which is 6 years or so more than the hippies seem to think it'll take for kittens and rainbows to be coming out of our respective tailpipes...

Ya know I luvya....

Touché.

Kittens would be a nice thing to look at coming out of a tailpipe. :rofl:

(Man, more of that humor I'm not supposed to have...wow.)

Actually, I semi-plagiarized my favorite automotive writer, Dave Coleman (Sport Compact Car magazine). Something to do with how automakers probably COULD, in fact build a car runs on water and spits kittens out the tailpipe, but would top at about 5mph and corner like an iceskate on concrete. COMPROMISE is the name of the game.

Coleman's a GOD of sorts...