Mac Mods?

• 3 months later...

I don't know how big GR is on the mac compared to other mac games but there are always plenty of hosts on Gameranger plus many clans. Mac players can join a pc host - you just need the IP address and the latest version of GR for the mac.

PC mods/maps/missions etc will work with macs as long as the files are zipped and not in the form of an EXE file, but even that can be overcome.

For example, Island Thunder hasn't been released for the mac but if I bought and installed it on a friend's pc I could then just burn the IT folder to a CD and copy it to my mac's mod folder.

So if any pc GRers host mod files on their websites, making them zips rather than exes would make mac Ghosts very happy ; )

ps. I play GR on a 700mhz iMac (with most settings turned down) so your friend will be okay.

Edited by Streaker

so is everything in the IT folder an exe file now that would have to be zipped before burning? lets say not since i don't have my pc here at work to check. so if i burn the IT folder and he copies it to his mods folder on his mac, where should he put it? free in there or create an IT folder like on the pc? just dump it all into the mods free? and then would you activate it under option/mods just like on the pc? all in one recognizeable mod called IT or individually?

There are a few conversions that have to be done to the IT directories and files; the primary tutorial on installing IT for Mac is here,, while general Mac mod info is here,.

N.B.: UBB mangles the URLs for GameSpy; clicking on either of the above links gives a 404. Add a comma (',') to the end of the URL to get to the page.