Considering the game, a few questions

Hi all;

First let me say how refreshing it is to read some posts about this game that are not negative. It seems that other areas of the net tend to really trash talk anything that is not perfect.

Having said this, I have downloaded the demo and was quite blown away by it. I would like to purchase the game with the intent of playing MP co-op with a friend and perhaps with others on the net.

There seem to be a few posts that indicate there are problems with the MP. Since MP will be my primary battleground, I'm wondering what these areas are and if there have been any fixes?

Also:

1) Im considering a d2d (download) version. Is there any documentation or any other component that is omitted from the download version that I absolutely must have? (Please keep in mind that Im relatively new to the GR series)

2) My buddy runs a P3 3.0, 1 gig ram with an Nvidia geforce 6800 w/ 128 mgs. Has he enough computer power to run this puppy reliably?

Thanks for any and all feedback

Having said this, I have downloaded the demo and was quite blown away by it.

According to a few people here, you are probably wrong. Play the demo again and you will realize you did not have fun; you only thought you did. You actually hate it.

1) Im considering a d2d (download) version. Is there any documentation or any other component that is omitted from the download version that I absolutely must have? (Please keep in mind that Im relatively new to the GR series)

Don't. Buy the retail version instead. Lots of problems reported here with d2d.

Edited by Cangaroo[TNT]

This was from another user here...

I foolishly purchased GRAW via D2D. The first time I attempted to reinstall the software after putting a fresh build of XP on my rig it would not activate requiring that I contact customer service. This was on a Friday. I sent an email to customer service which was not returned until the following Tuesday after which I was able to once again activate the software. Since this happened I've acquired a retail copy of the game. I am no longer using the D2D version. What a headache!

Like Cangaroo says, BUY the retail version.....

Edited by Stormin

Hello Tangogulf,

I can only tell you my experienc, can't inform you about Co-op; since i havnt played it yet.

-Well i like this game alot the sounds (gun, inviroment) are in my opinion really great.

-the playermodels look awesome (animations, reloading ect.)

being a modern combat freak :).

-the best part is that you have the feeling you fire a gun, from pulling the trigger to the impact on the foe or an object, and the grenades explosions damn.

you see i ain't negatieve on this game, most ppl that are negative on this game are die hard Ghost Recon fan's, you must read some treads about now.

the mode i play is Hamburger Hill btw, i think you and your mates will have fun playing this.

well i aint a detailed story teller, just telling i like the game!

Thanks so much for the replies.

Enough said about the downloadable version. Makes me very glad that I posted here.

I like the game.you should definatly buy it.its awesome. hehe... :ph34r:

I would listen to this advice, its nonbiased, and he has nothing to gain from the purchase you make.

Buy retail, 1 gig of ram will work, but playys smoother with more. Coop is a blast. I have one friend that has a problem with Coop crashing at certain points everytime, but he still cant stop playing it. Sp is great. Mp and Coop, are getting a better by the patch.

There are still issues with the game, but the guys at GRIN have been more than willing to listen to us, and do what they can to fix the problems.

I hope you enjoy the purchase as much as some of us had, and look forward to seeing you ingame soon. take care.

Good thinking by downloading the demo first. If you liked the demo, you'll LOVE the game. As per the above advice, you've hopefully settled on the retail version. D2D has some issues to work out yet. And yeah, upgrade your RAM as well as you can without breaking the bank. More is always welcome, as there's never an incompatability issue with RAM upgrades. Can't hurt, right? RAM is cheap anyhow.

Welcome into the fold. GRAW has you now. Resistance if futile...

I agree with the "New" positive posts. A month ago, you wouldn't believe that anyone even liked the game, let alone loved it. GRIN has worked very hard to keep the loyal and not so loyal happy. With all the patches the have the game has progessed from good to "GREAT!". If only it could be re-reviewed by the "experts", I believe it would get a much hogher score (even though it requires a VERY good computer to run it well).

Anyway, welcome to the group...you will learn alot about gameplay and fixing problems with the game. Most members are very cordial and having the developers reading and joining in is great.

Back on topic. buy the game, get at least 512 MB more of RAM and have fun! :g_withgrin:

1GB of RAM should be ok, more is better though. Buy the game, it really immerses you like no other similar game I've ever played.

My only gripe is that I like to play co-op with my mates and you can't re-spawn once you die, or if the host dies, the whole game ends for everyone. I want it to be like GR1 was, with options for that kind of thing that the host can choose from.

SP is great (imo) and GRIN seem to be doing their best to listen to and impletent a lot of the stuff that is discussed here.

Good thinking by downloading the demo first. If you liked the demo, you'll LOVE the game. As per the above advice, you've hopefully settled on the retail version. D2D has some issues to work out yet. And yeah, upgrade your RAM as well as you can without breaking the bank. More is always welcome, as there's never an incompatability issue with RAM upgrades. Can't hurt, right? RAM is cheap anyhow.

Welcome into the fold. GRAW has you now. Resistance if futile...

Don't listen to this guy. He's actually a cocaine-addicted monkey with a keyboard.

there's never an incompatability issue with RAM upgrades. Can't hurt, right?

Actually, despite what this cocaine addicted monkey with a keyboard is blabbing on about, sometimes there can be severe issues with having RAM on certain motherboards. But it's usually the high end ram and motherboards you would have to look into. :)

Great game, do buy, but realize that the MP community is very split on how its panning out. I love it, my clan doesn't yet (still waiting on the dedicated server files; GRiN has provided all the other fixes that we were waiting for - search through the boards and you'll find flame after flame about what is / was missing).

Do get the memory upgrade! I've been able to get all graphics to max with the addition of another gig and its gorgeous and very immersive. You can search the boards for the .xml edit to get high level graphics if you don't have the top end graphics card needed...

Oh, and the cocaine addicted monkey usually makes sense (as do the of the others that have responded!) and as you can see, the dev's (as denoted by the GRiN tags) actually hang out here and actually listen to the comments from the community!

Hi all;

First let me say how refreshing it is to read some posts about this game that are not negative. It seems that other areas of the net tend to really trash talk anything that is not perfect.

Having said this, I have downloaded the demo and was quite blown away by it. I would like to purchase the game with the intent of playing MP co-op with a friend and perhaps with others on the net.

There seem to be a few posts that indicate there are problems with the MP. Since MP will be my primary battleground, I'm wondering what these areas are and if there have been any fixes?

Also:

2) My buddy runs a P3 3.0, 1 gig ram with an Nvidia geforce 6800 w/ 128 mgs. Has he enough computer power to run this puppy reliably?

Thanks for any and all feedback

Hi TangoGulf,

I am playing purely Co-Op and I like it a lot.

I think it still needs some tweaking before it reaches the level of GR1, but its getting there very fast (with every patch).

IMO a few issues are still holding GRAW Co-Op back from being all it can be and thats:

1) You can't re-spawn when you die

2) The game ends when the host dies

3) You cant choose how many AI backup players you want in the game. When I play with a friend, there are 2 AI backup players. We "park" them at the beginning of the map instead of bringing them along, so my friend can spawn into them when he dies. In some maps, he will be getting accused of going AWOL when spawning into them and he just dies 2 times.

All this - it seems - will get changed/tweaked over the summer maybe even in the next patch. If you search the Co-Op threads in this forum, you will find a list of things to come in upcoming patches and many of them are Co-Op related.

EDIT: Found the quote from UBISOFT:

"Throughout the summer:

Team Deathmatch, Hamburger Hill modes, Original GR co-op mode, Map editor for TDM, HH, [GR] co-op, GRAW co-op improvement (quick start and respawn) and Dedicated Server pack"

GRAW Co-Op is good fun right now, but it is my clear belief that once these things get changed/tweaked, GRAW Co-Op will be every bit as addictive as GR1 Co-Op and thats a hell of a lot (still playing it on my 5th year so...) :)

/MadMike

Edited by MadMike

I like the game.you should definatly buy it.its awesome. hehe... :ph34r:

I've even heard it's GRAWsome

oooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! :hehe:

Wow, humour on a game board?!! Unheard of. Sounds like you have a decent community here as well!

We do have a decent community here. Welcome!

Unlike the other forum, this board doesn't...what's the word I'm looking for...oh, yeah...suck.

Sorry to disappoint you, though, I have no humor. No, seriously.

2.gif