Microsoft Update Broke GRAW!

BreezyCool

I could not run my newly purchased copy of GRAW on a machine which did run the demo. By going to my backups I found a working copy of my system. After several hours I finally narrowed it down to this:

GRAW will not work if I install one of the latest Microsoft Updates: KB917422

After uninstalling this update, GRAW works just fine. I don't feel safe running an unpatched version of Windows. Any suggestions?

System:

Pentium 4, ASUS P4C800-E

2 Gig DRAM

evga NVIDIA 7800GS

Audigy 2 ZS Plat. Pro

WinXP Pro on Raid 0 (2xSegates)

Running KIS 6.0

I'm configured to receive automatic updates and this security update was installed on my system (1.20) w/no problems. As Colin stated, you need to post more info, game version, type, patches, mods, etc.

Link to KB917422 info...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917422

EDIT: Just patched to 1.21 (retail, CD) w/no problems

P4(p) 3.4Ghz(HT), 2GB PC2-4200, geforce 6800GTO, Audigy2

Edited by noquarter

Would Not Start:

Nothing happened when executing the program. Using <ctl>-<alt>-<del> to bring up the task list, I saw the program appear on the task list for about 2 seconds before dissapearing. No error message, nothing in my system logs, nothing on the screen.

This happened with the demo version, with the CD Retail version and with the CD Retail version with the latest patch installed.

All versions of the game responded when I uninstalled the update in question. This update was a critical update that was released this past Tuesday. I first tried to play the game Tuesday night and after trying everything from reinstalling my drivers or turning off my antivirus to several reinstalls of the game, I tried going back to an earlier version of my system (drive image backup). That is how I started to narrow it down - luckily I had backed up my system Tuesday morning before the updates were installed.

Edited by BreezyCool

UPDATE

I've found the missing link in this puzzle. It seems that the latest update from Microsoft + Kaspersky Antivirus (latest version) = NO GRAW.

Fortunately I was only trying the demo of Kaspersky. It also caused my Mother Board Monitor to crash my system about every 3rd startup. I don't think I'll wait for a 3rd strike.

The think that threw me off was that GRAW worked fine with Kaspersky before the recent MS Update.

Edited by BreezyCool

Same for me. GRAW won't run in the following configuration:

WinXP Pro + Kapersky AntiVirus 6.0.0.303 + GR:AW 1.21 + Window Update KB917422

Note that the securom analysis (Launch Analysis) does not run either.

Disabling all Kapersky functions does not help.

Uninstalling Windows Update KB917422 works around the issue.

I am having the same problem and so does my friend. We both just formatted and installed GRAW after all other updates & drivers were installed. Result: both of us can't launch GRAW. Nothing happens.

It was running well on my previous XP install right before I format, all updates were also installed on that previous XP install but the only diff was that I pathced 1.21 over 1.20.

Uninstalling the mentionned Win Update did solve the problem, GRAW now starts normally.

I too would feel better with a fully patched Windows :ph34r:

Cheers,

Edited by Tech

• 8 months later...

Same for me. GRAW won't run in the following configuration:

WinXP Pro + Kapersky AntiVirus 6.0.0.303 + GR:AW 1.21 + Window Update KB917422

Note that the securom analysis (Launch Analysis) does not run either.

Disabling all Kapersky functions does not help.

Uninstalling Windows Update KB917422 works around the issue.

You can re-install the Window Update KB917422 AND still run GRAW without any problems. I went through the same probelm.

You will need to install an update from Windows that will NOT come up automatically with Windows Updater.

The solution can be found at this post:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...mp;hl=kaspersky