DOM maps -> HH maps

Since I've played GRAW I can say one or a couple of things about the maps.

1) they are always so darn small. take the cape map. It is a small map but, if there are the usual 1,000,000 players on the map, then 750,000 on the zone and raping the snot out of the remaining 1/4 million. being sarcastic but i need to get your attention anyway.

2) sometimes the maps aren't too well thought out and the spawns are lame.

3) some or most of the maps are made in such a way that spawn campers just sit there and camp. alleviating the fun and purpose of the game. but i think alot of peeps came from OTHER games where run n' gun are the order of the day. they come to GRAW and increase the insanity.

Tactical gaming: of or relating to combat tactics : as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <a tactical defense> <a tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront.

Now GRAW is run n' gun which doesn't fit the concept of tactics that I've used in the military or what the idea of tactics is. the maps are designed also with a focal point, one that everyone jams like kids playing mob soccer kids kicking each other in the ankles getting nowhere fast. there are other choke points around the outsides of the maps. there someone who's desperately trying to use tactics all the while nades are flying worse than artillery.

I'm was getting the lag that i was getting since the release of the game(1.0 - 1.21) so I uninstalled the thing and have moved on. I hope Grin has learned that, just because they got work with a huge publisher doesn't mean success just alot of $$$

Edited by Papa6

yes the maps are ###### - small, repetitive, spawnrape-fests, nade fests - utter garbage (30 minutes is generous before the boredom kicks in).

GRAW is continuing to claim its stake as one of the worst games of the year.

Again I raise the question - how could GRIN take a classic game with nearly everything built perfectly, all the steps set out before them, and then proceed to disassemble the beautiful game into GRAW?

Just to let you know there are more maps you can play these gametypes on in the dload section and some of them are very good and very large.

With all respect for the moders, most of custom maps are not so great also its hard to find a server runing custom map.

I agree with the heading of this thread. I'd really look forward to seeing all 5 of the lovely Domination maps in HH variants... :grin3:

PS would be nice too if there could be 4 spawn zones (like in [GR]) and a random insertion zone option (like in [GR]), at least for TDM and HH. That would make the variability of the maps so much greater (you do not know where enemy will appear after insertion)

Just to let you know there are more maps you can play these gametypes on in the dload section and some of them are very good and very large.

With all respect for the moders, most of custom maps are not so great also its hard to find a server runing custom map.

I've been spending the majority of my game time on BeerDrinkingAssassin.com 's server which runs custom maps. I'm not a big fan of their latest tdm maps, but many of their dom maps rock hard! It's also the best server i've been on connection wise. Many many of the other servers I've tried have crazy lag. but if you feel like trying some pretty cool customs you should check out their server. very cool stuff.

the one thing i miss is the fact that when i don't have the modded map, [GR] was great at telling me where I can get the map/mod

I don't remember [GR] ever telling you where to get a map/mod. It might tell you the name of it depending what was in the modcontent.xml (I beleive that's the correct name) file, but usually it was some abreviation that had to be deciphered.

i said this in another post, but i think it's more appropriate here:

ya know what would be cool... if the server could set up some sort of disconnect message. So if you don't have the map, a little window pops up with a message and a webaddress telling you where to download the map. They had a cool type of system like this in Descent 3(old but great game). It actually downloaded the map into your directory for you after you picked the address you wanted it downloaded from. Something like that would be really cool i think.

I've been spending the majority of my game time on BeerDrinkingAssassin.com 's server which runs custom maps. I'm not a big fan of their latest tdm maps, but many of their dom maps rock hard! It's also the best server i've been on connection wise. Many many of the other servers I've tried have crazy lag. but if you feel like trying some pretty cool customs you should check out their server. very cool stuff.

I stoped visiting this server after "certain server customisation" case :whistle:

GRAW should download a map which is played on server which you are trying to connect.

I stoped visiting this server after "certain server customisation" case :whistle:

huh? :huh:

Search the forum my friend.

yeah i have no idea what i should be searching for. searched for beerdrinkingassassin server, server customization, server customisation case, a few random words with server, searched for your name and bda's, and i'm not coming up with anything..... what am I supposed to be finding?

I think what Josef there is crying about is that BDA's server runs various MOD maps. Instead of having to go through the extensive tedium (yes, that IS sarcasm you detect) of finding and downloading the correct maps to play that server, Joey wants GRAW to do it for him so he can go on about his seemless conquest of the known universe, or at least virtual Mexico. Apparently there are other games that do this. What a certain somebody fails to understand is that these modded maps are not always 100% reliable (though most are freegin' GREAT). Ubisoft and GRiN can't go publishing paid software that automatically downloads every other Tom, Dick and Harry's aftermarket maps to customers' computers. Aside from the potential for liability in the case that a single customer's computer gets hacked (ever hear of identity theft? thought so) via this hands-free download MaliceWare thingie, if the maps suck or cause crashes then the publishers and developers just tee'd off a LOT of fans (read: PAYING CUSTOMERS). Not smart business...

Count on expansions to bring more APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE maps. Even patches (hence the term, "Map Packs"). But what Joseph Q wants, I'm glad he doesn't get to have. I wouldn't have bought such a game...

My bad, man. Perhaps I should have been more tactful. It's just that it seems more and more people are ASKING for BF2:AW. While I agree that BF2 (suck as it may) has some good points (commo roses and orders, server management, profile/preferences management), I'd like to help keep this game in perspective. This isn't BF2:AW, nor is it GR:S, or even QuakeGR. It's GRAW. And that particular thing Joseph said he'd like to see here, we can CERTAINLY do without. The LAST thing any of us needs, considering the high demand the game already places on our hardware, is the game's embedded applications automatically sucking-up our precious connection bandwidth and memory/CPU processes with downloading JimBob's Crossburner MapPack v2.killblackie. I don't know JimBob. And honestly, I'm not sure I should trust JimBob's mapmaking skillz. I think he's out to further his own fascist agenda. Which brings us full circle (though slightly off-topic) to JosephQ, who lives in a country that knows all too well about the evils of fascism, and should by no means wish to bring the fourth Reich (internet) down on GRAW. It's just that important to this kid...

As for the bad mood, I'm waiting to hear when I get to go for surgery to my lower back, after only 11 1/2 years of pain. TriCare is more like TriCareless. And to think the military folks used to complain about CHAMPUS.....

As for the bad mood, I'm waiting to hear when I get to go for surgery to my lower back, after only 11 1/2 years of pain. TriCare is more like TriCareless. And to think the military folks used to complain about CHAMPUS.....

I remember when Tri-care was getting big with the Military, I had to put my wife and kids on it, what a nightmare. I can only imagine what your going through. Good luck on the surgery, its never fun when its back related. Here is to a speedy recovery :cheers:

gulp, I dont think we should drag our respective contries into this, even if its not meant in a nessescarily harsh way, things like that tends to get ugly in the end:)

lol im not helpfull at all tonight, am I? I just run around and tell people to be nice without really contributing myself.. ;)

I am kinda in favour of auto-downloading stuff..in theory atleast, or with the help of some sort of rating system that makes sure that its no bad stuff that gets sucked into our precious computers( not that it really matters to me since I just bought a new indestructible Mac mini instead of a pc for a home computer, that cant be touched by the rest of yous pc-plauges:) and at work where I actually play games I dont really care since its not my computer anyway and ill just get a new one later on, hehe ;)

it would be nice tho, not having to quit the game and go on a google-trip around the world to find the map you want to play!:)

Thanks man! TriCare, as of three days ago, thought I was still overseas in South Korea. I left there sixteen months ago and have inprocessed TriCare at two different CONUS locations three times (Bragg, Hood, and again at Bragg). That held-up my referral to an off-post hospital, which led to an Army ###### orthopaedic surgeon referring me BACK (foir the fifth time?) to Physical Therapy. My flight surgeon was some sort of MAD when I told him he needed to rewrite my consult to neurosurgery. Maybe next week I'll have a date. Then I'll be on here 24/7 for a couple weeks while I recover! Won't y'all be HAPPY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No?

Then maybe I should start posting on-topic for once and be more popular around here....

@GRiN_Willie: so you'd support the idea of an auto-downloader? OK, consider my rpevious post to Joseph_Q to be in error. SORRY JOE!

@GRiN_Willie: so you'd support the idea of an auto-downloader? OK, consider my rpevious post to Joseph_Q to be in error. SORRY JOE!

:rofl:

Rabbi, i told that i like idea of autodownloading maps from server, and You told something about BF2 and Quake, im not sure what this two things has in common ? :wacko: Autodownloader is a part of 80% MP games these days. Wake up dude and start thinking not defending in agresive way with your eyes shut.

Anyway back to the main case..GRIN what You say about this idea? Is it chance that these maps will be converted to HH, should we wait?

RAbbi --> there is one game (which I know) that is downloading necessary files from server - Half-Life & all games on this engine. Of course you can select on/off this option as an admin.