TS and How Are YOU managing it?

I am very serious about "renting" a TS server, for about 10 slots or so. It really is not that expensive, and I think it would make Co-Op so much better.

My question is this, should I be concerned about people using it when I am not around?

Would I be able to change the PW all the time?

Any suggestions are welcome................thankyou............Kingkat

for that few people i would say just host your own. i would say any cable/dsl connection would be able to hose that many people without a probelms, as when i had a dial up connection i could host 3-4 people witout a problem.

but if you do end up renting one only you or the peerson that you give the server login pass and username (loaded up in like ie or firefox) could change the pass to like join the server. and you can amke it where guest cna only join hte main channle nad has to be moved by a sa to another channle and only sa's will be able to create/edit the channles in the server

You'll get an admin control panel for changing the password, though you could also keep it public and only allow registered users to change channels out of the lobby.

BTW if you're cheap like me, the free download has 16 slots. All you need is a computer that will stay on 24/7 on a good cable connection or better.

In addition if you need more slots you can get up to 100 for free in a self hosted manner. Any non profit clan qualifies.

So, between Vent. and TS, which takes the lesser toll on bandwidth? IE, which causes me less lag?

A scientific explanation which I could not possibly understand but looks credible would be nice here. Y'know, from someone who understands the intricacies of the interweb and stuff...

A scientific explanation which I could not possibly understand but looks credible would be nice here. Y'know, from someone who understands the intricacies of the interweb and stuff...

I would try both, if you are on cable you shouldn't have a problem. My opinion is Ventrilo sounds better then TS.

Edited by Pulaski

I would try both, if you are on cable you shouldn't have a problem. My opinion is Ventrilo sounds better then TS.

AGREED...

I have been renting a Ventrilo server off Primary Target for years now, its up 24/7 and apart from being my guild/clan comms, mates and my family use it to stay in touch around the world, and I have never had any problems with peeps crashing it, those wiseguys that have tried in the past during gaming fests were easily banned.

I also agree that Vent sounds better than TS, whatever the reason is I dont know. The cost for a 16 peeps is minimal per month and I have never ever had a problem with it.

JF

Edited by JFSebastian

Each has it's pro's and con's...

Q: Which is easier to use?

A: Both are equally easy to use.

Q: Which sounds better?

A: Depends on soundcard, but mostly what you are accustomed to hearing.

Q: Which uses more bandwidth?

A: Depends on both which codec that you are using.

Q: How many can you host on each?

A: Ventrilo is limited to only 8 slots for the free for personal use, while TeamSpeak can host as many as your connection will alow for free.

Q: Which is easier to administrate:

A: That again depends on what you are comfortable with.

Q: If I wanted to rent either one, where would I look?

A: There are a lot of places that host one or other, and/or both.

Q: If I wanted to host my own, what system requirements are there?

A: For the best info on each, you can look through the forums of each company. For TeamSpeak, you can find the site at http://www.goteamspeak.com and Ventrilo can be found at http://www.ventrilo.com

Q: Have I asked enough questions?

A: More than likely.

Enjoy our local Q-n-A, brought to you by GR.net & Family.

I don't understand how vent can sound better than TS, when to me TS sounds like a normal conversation, crystal clear. Maybe you guys didn't have the best sound codec enabled?

Its simply that u have english as 1st language :D (it doenst matter the codec)

Anyways i know what u mean, its that the sound in TS is "closer" to the sound u would have when u talk to that person in "real" life. That, i think it could be true but when using ventrilo u can understand the other much better.

For the rest i think Ventrilo is 10000000000000 times more clear.

And also on ventrilo u have the BEEP when u start/end the conversation which is nice, cause when u hear that sound u are ready to start listening. Again it has to do with not talking english in "real" life :D

PS: when u read this post u will understand my problems with english :rofl:

Q: How many can you host on each?

A: Ventrilo is limited to only 8 slots for the free for personal use, while TeamSpeak can host as many as your connection will alow for free.

Wrong, it depends on the ventrilo version.

Thats why we use 2.1.3 :D

Edited by bati_gol_20

O-o whenever ive been on vent ive had trouble understanding what the other people was saying (plus if you want to talk to anyone with dial up vent is a NO go lol) but can understand them on ts. one plus about vent is knowsing when someone joins a channle you ar ein that would be a nice addtion to ts

Our clan is swithching from running both Ventrilo and TS to only TS.

Sure the sound quality seems better in Ventrilo but the slot limitation in Ventrilo and the better adminitration possibilities in TS (compared to version Ventrilo 2.1.3) and that TS is avaliable for PC, Linux and Mac made the decision for us.

My team tried switching from Ventrilo to TS, we just could not get over very noticable difference in sound quality. TS definitely has the better channel features though. Just wasn't worth everyone sounding the same when they talked though. :D

Just wasn't worth everyone sounding the same when they talked though. :D

There is a nice little ad-on to TS called TS-Overlay.

TSO, an addition to your games HUD, allows you to see whos talking without having to switch out of the game. It also tells the time and lot of other nice features.

TSO is freeware and can be downloaded from here http://www.teamspeakoverlay.com/