1.21 Editor Issues

AlexSledge

Ok, this may come off a little ranty, and maybe it is, but I believe the points are valid regardless.

BUG: The 1.21 version of the editor no longer handles Props Brushes "properly". Specific issues are - no longer saves props brushes changes when you click "Save", no longer saves them if you export the map. This basically negates the ability to add or remove any brushed props. Deleting the massunit.bin no longer causes a new one to be created, but instead crashes the editor on export of the map due to the missing file. Work Around: Revert to 1.20 :(

PROCESS BUG: Objects were removed from the editor. Missing objects causes upgraded servers and clients to crash when using existing maps that contain removed objects. :wall: Discovered so far: Industrial Highway Stairs (Deformed).

PROCESS BUG: Inclusion of objects in the editor that are for all intents and purposes unusable. Off the top of my head... Lighthouse, Industrial Bridge, Ghetto Bunkers 1-4. It's late but I'm fairly certain there there were others. Hint: Editor is modular, these components are not. Yes I know we can make our own, but why give us a non-modular component we can't use? Just to taunt us? :)

PROCESS BUG: No documentation on any changes on the editor.

I Know Ubi's on your rear to get these out the door, and I know what working late nights to meet a ship deadline and to make the market happy are, but anything you can do to avoid these types of things in the future would be much appreciated.

Edited by AlexSledge

Ok, this may come off a little ranty, and maybe it is, but I believe the points are valid regardless.

BUG: The 1.21 version of the editor no longer handles Props Brushes "properly". Specific issues are - no longer saves props brushes changes when you click "Save", no longer saves them if you export the map. This basically negates the ability to add or remove any brushed props. Deleting the massunit.bin no longer causes a new one to be created, but instead crashes the editor on export of the map due to the missing file. Work Around: Revert to 1.20 :(

PROCESS BUG: Objects were removed from the editor. Missing objects causes upgraded servers and clients to crash when using existing maps that contain removed objects. :wall: Discovered so far: Industrial Highway Stairs (Deformed), Hemitt (Vehicle), SCAR Grenade.

PROCESS BUG: Inclusion of objects in the editor that are for all intents and purposes unusable. Off the top of my head... Lighthouse, Industrial Bridge, Ghetto Bunkers 1-4. It's late but I'm fairly certain there there were others. Hint: Editor is modular, these components are not. Yes I know we can make our own, but why give us a non-modular component we can't use? Just to taunt us?

PROCESS BUG: No documentation on any changes on the editor.

I Know Ubi's on your rear to get these out the door, and I know what working late nights to meet a ship deadline and to make the market happy are, but anything you can do to avoid these types of things in the future would be much appreciated.

no these "non-modular objects" were not made to "###### you off" they were made to fit in a landscape that required them to be custom made in the game. the objects in the editor is not objects that we "give you" , they are objects that are in the actual game that we have used in the maps.

the rest of your points seems to be bugs, ill have to check that on monday when I get back to the office.

Also its nice to hear that you are disapointed in our treatment of the mod community, taking into consideration how many hours we have spent answering Pms and writing tutorials and talking in the mod forum. nice

There are ways of posting problems, the above is not the correct way.

Its disrespectfull to say the least.

As modders you have to work with the makers to achieve your goals, this also works both ways, respect for each other is the first step, lose that and you lose the link.

I for one and I am sure many many more believe GRIN has done a great job supporting the modders/map makers. I don't know of any other games that the devs have created a tutorial on importing objects, props, etc. from 3ds max into the editor or even truly active on forums for that matter. That was something that had to of taken a great deal of time and energy, so thx for that.

But there are issues with the editor and I am sure GRIN will try to correct as many of them as possible. Being civil and respectful will get those question answered and solved a lot faster than ranting.

One issue that I am having as of late. I believe since 1.2 maybe 1.16 but certain sections of the minimap come up as blue. I use the medium quality with 3 passes for rendering. To be more precise I am working on a HH map right now and the static object called gi_grass_01 is rendering all blue in the minimap. When I open the .tga file in photoshop it looks normal with a few spots that are still blue.

Some additional info: 3 passes @ medium quality, windows xp sp2, 2GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM, P4 650 3.4 GHz, nVidia 7800GT 256MB PCI-E, screensaver turned off.

I just can't seemed to get anywhere with fixing it. I believe there has been a thread started about this but nothing came from it.

To the origianl poster: I am not trying to flame you or anybody else for that matter but rants don't do anybody any good. Escpecially the ones who need help with mods/map making.

Anyways any help is appreciated.

no these "non-modular objects" were not made to "###### you off" they were made to fit in a landscape that required them to be custom made in the game. the objects in the editor is not objects that we "give you" , they are objects that are in the actual game that we have used in the maps.

the rest of your points seems to be bugs, ill have to check that on monday when I get back to the office.

Also its nice to hear that you are disapointed in our treatment of the mod community, taking into consideration how many hours we have spent answering Pms and writing tutorials and talking in the mod forum. nice

Willie, without a doubt yourself, Desmond, and a few others whose names I don't remember off hand go above and beyond in your interaction with us. I probably should have said "Ubi" since the majority of issues the serious modders are running into could be easily rectified with a section on extensibility related items in the readme file, which probably isn't your call. Editor changes, objects that have been removed, changed, or that don't work.

We received this with the inital editor release, the lack one one in these later patches just stands out in stark contrast.

My intention wasn't to offend, my apologies if I have done so... it was 2 or 3AM when I was attempting to finish this post up, and I simply wanted the information out there so others would be aware and could take measures to prevent their hard work from causing others problems due to crashing, etc. No excuse, but there you have it.

If you have any doubts on my support of your work take a visit to my modding wiki or examine the quality of my maps. I'm probably one of the few who purchased a second copy of the game @$50 so I can have a second machine in the other room exporting maps while I continue to work/play on my primary machine.

Also, the question concerning unusable objects was a somewhat rhetorical one, obviously your artists aren't sitting around thinking "Hey, what object can we make for modders today?". An example however, if you'll permit the segue, the lighthouse could have been used as it had in Com Station just as well if the object was completed on the bottom and squared off as a modular object - while allowing it's use in many other maps. Again, just an example.

Colin et. al.: After re-reading it I fully stand by the text of my original post. It was respectful and to the point. Apparently the only thing that has everyone stirred up is my subtitle to the original post (which honestly I recognized as inflamatory and simply forgot to remove since it was super late).

I think you all are missing the point, besides the fact that it's good and more productive to stay calm and nice, the thread is about a thing that worked prior to the 1.21 patch and now does not.

The point of a patch is to fix things, and the patch itself should be Beta tested prior to release so that issues like mentioned in the opening post don't happen. I admit the post as stated by the poster is harsh to Grin but he did say it was a bit of a RANT. [posts in the General PC GRAW forum are 10x worse, every day].

The point being made is:- Every patch produced has created bugs with items that worked prior to the patch ? I for one would gladly BETA TEST any PATCH prior to general release, as would alot of other GRNET members.

I hope grin has better luck with the next patch [August] and that there Beta testers get things right too. Someone should of tested the editor, prior to map patch 1.21 release.

Grin We all appreciate your communication and input it is second to none but your attention to detail is something else, please have the next PATCH on a 24/7 beta test.

viii

BUG: The 1.21 version of the editor no longer handles Props Brushes "properly". Specific issues are - no longer saves props brushes changes when you click "Save", no longer saves them if you export the map. This basically negates the ability to add or remove any brushed props

i was having the same problem with a map i was working it would save any of the prop brushes i was trying to errase some thing and it wouldnt save it

There are ways of posting problems, the above is not the correct way.

Its disrespectfull to say the least.

As modders you have to work with the makers to achieve your goals, this also works both ways, respect for each other is the first step, lose that and you lose the link.

What!? LOL Disrespectfull? give me a break, Respect? personaly my respect went out the window after the first patch recall. Respect? Frown is the "A" team right, you do get payed for this right? What a great racket I paid for the a game and get to be the guinea pig?

quality control-- A system for ensuring the maintenance of proper standards in manufactured goods, especially by periodic random inspection of the product.

Its a new concept I hear its really catching on, you all might like to try it 3 months 4 patches and this was the "Mother of all patches" :thumbsup:

How about the "Makers" working with the "Makers" Thats also a new concept it goes like this

"Bob I am doing X,Y & Z in the next patch. Gee, Sally if you do that then its going to do this in this part of the program. O' my Bob lets work to solve this problem."

Keep up the great work Grinn errr Frown :blink:

Edited by Maj3stic

Honestly if they implemented an ALT-Middle click and CTRL-Middle click to change the Yaw & Pitch of an object the way a regular Middle click changes the roll, I'd be willing to forget the whole thing...especially if they're as cute as that Guinnea Pig :) I don't really use the Highway Stairs Deformed anyway :D

Edited by AlexSledge

I have never seen a patch that didnt cause some side effects to a game. I have played many many pc games and every patch that has ever been made for a game has caused some degree of issues with other aspects of the game but yes....lets keep beating this horse shall we...lmao

Edit...Just realized i wasnt specific. This is directed to non constructive flame type posts!

Edited by }PW{ Postal

I have never seen a patch that didn’t cause some side effects to a game. I have played many many pc games and every patch that has ever been made for a game has caused some degree of issues with other aspects of the game but yes....lets keep beating this horse shall we...lmao

Postal, I've had many a game that had patches that works, end of patch. The point being made here is, every patch has problems and these GRAW patches are the same, except,

The problems are so in your face that withing 3 hrs I noticed:-

GAME CRASHES ON EXIT

EDITOR CRASHES ON EXIT

EDITOR ITEMS MISSING POST PATCH, remove patch ITEMS RETURN

EDITOR FUNCTIONS MISSING POST PATCH.

All with in 3 Hrs, were you a beta tester ? I was not but I wish I was......

This Horse Has plenty of life and gets 100x the flogging in the GRAW: PC VERSION forum here, shall I get a couple hundred threads from the GRNET PC FORUM ?

The problem is I am 110% behind Grin especially with there SUPPORT & COMMUNICATION

but bugs like these are basic, did you notice the editor crash on exit every time since 1.21 it's apparent GRIN DID NOT, it's not a flame but a statement.

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

viii

edit Removed then added back in GAME CRASHES ON EXIT , thx postal.

I was not a beta tester Viiiper but i am trying to be for the next one. All i can say is PM Rocky about being one.

I understand about what your saying with the in your face bugs. I too have noticed a few. Not really in the editor cause im waiting till the next big patch to make anymore but thats mainly cause thats when they are gonna add more mapping support for TDM, HH and [GR] style co-op.

Im not saying not to say anything about the bugs. I can even relate to the frustration that comes with finding the bugs. It just gets under my skin when i constantly hear complaints or bitching because the patch was released with bugs...like it never happens with any other game.

Anyways...i want to become a tester so i can try to help prevent this stuff from happening. I suggest others to do the same so we can have the game that we want.

Sorry if i was abrupt with my last post... i need to not let this stuff get to me... :rofl:

Edit.... I almost forgot about your question. Yes, i had the same thing happen with closing the editor but to take that one step farther is that it happens to me for the game itself everytime i go to quit the game.

Edited by }PW{ Postal

The only crashes I have had with the game or editor is pre- 1.21 with the editor when you tried to load a map when you already had a map loaded into the editor. But since the patch I have not experienced any crashes. I've closed down the editor and game many times. Maybe I am just lucky. Then again I don't mess around with any xml files either except for zones.xml to get the minimap the right size and orientation. So maybe try it with a clean install and don't mess with settings that weren't meant to be messed with and see if the crashes return.

Edited by [99]-Athenian

I just patched up my retail version of graw with the latest patch and I dont get any of those crash-problems you speak of..but then again could be hardware compability issues and what not, but I havent really had any problems

Yeah it does seem hardware related cause not everyone is having this issue. It dont bother me much cause the crashes im having are when i go to quit the game or editor and at that point its no bother...lol

Mine too "postal" but this is the most obvious bug going RE:-

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...mp;#entry406668

Wille is good enough to post answers and I hope he passes on the message to the Dev team on Monday.

viii

P.S. Fridays are a bad time for official patches, no one to shout at. :rolleyes: