Transition from playing GRAW to matching GRAW

Over the past few weeks i have been trying harder and harder to make it thru playing GRAW ( in DOM and DM modes ) without dying in the round. I do this to try and prepare myself for matching and when we are given only 1 death to match with.

I find myself camping i guess because if you make the smallest movement then pretty much everyone on the map can hear ya if they have a decent sound card. I have managed a few rounds of zero deaths just to get the "camper name" thrown at me at the end of the round.

With the current sounds of movement in the game i feel when it comes time to match that pretty much everyone will end up having to camp to try to win the match but thats just MHO!

What do you guys think?

Since you're supposed to stay alive I don't really mind camping. I mean, it's a Tom Clancy game, slow paced and easy kills. I guess to many ppl play BF2 or CS where you can take a hundred bullets without dying... or something like that. Also, if you walk, even a camper will have a hard time to spot you.

Thats just it, i can hear people walkin, crouched and moving, even sitting in one place looking around....i can hear all that! There seems to be no reward for moving slow or moving crouched. This is why i feel matches are gonna be very long and hard.

I love a tactical game but it doesnt matter how much tact you use.....i will hear ya from quite a distance away. As will anyone else with a good sound card.

IMO great sound is a must for a good matching game. I love DoD source but the sound in that game was terrible... Id get flanked all the time and hear nothing. In Ravenshield we could hear far away and it didnt make it anymore campish. I used the sound to my advantage like running right up to corners and stopping just before to get someone to waste his bullets or just get someone to give away their position. Hell sometimes Id fire my gun as I ran away so people couldnt get a great bead on my movement when I decided to stop and hide somewhere. You could draw people out by pulling your frags out if they didnt know a teammate was covering you or rush someone who pulled out nades. Its great for gameplay.

There is oftena legitimate NEED for movement in the game, just to stay alive. As time goes on and more people play the MP maps, they'll startt figuring out where all the good campsites are. Your safe camper haven will become a grenade-attracting nightmare. Oil slick on the beach, if you will. No longer suitable for human habitation.

Sound is a compromise here. You can try to engage a badguy from range, or up close. At range it's harder to hit and kill him, but he also has less of a clue where you are. Up close kill shots are easy, but he'll hear you there. You'll find yourself having to weight your options, especially in the case that your teammates are COUNTING on you to pull out the draw or victory outnumbered in their absence. The enemy will likely camp out once they've got a significant numberical advantage, in order to win the round, and thereby force you to accept a loss or take the chance of moving. Will you let your team down?

I don't think you will, and I think the next enemy you PWN will have heard you coming and been helpless to stop the irresistable force that is a Ghost...

Mate, this game dont have Admin control, AC, dedi, and only has 5 maps and one game mod ( im not counting "shoot_everything_that moves_around you" DM mode). So save your time and strenght and dont train for matches yet ;)

Edited by Joseph_Q

Well ive always been the type to be prepared for the future. Up until a few weeks ago i was just running arond trying to get the most kills and learning the feel for the gameplay but now im trying to hone my skills for matching as well. This is a very hard task when everyone else on the map is just run n gun but it helps out some.

I know there is really no way to match yet but the time will come and i wanna be ready when it does.

AOD has matched 5-6 times in GRAW using domination and no-respawn.

In domination, a team who is up people has a huuuge advantage as long as there is time to convert zones. There is little camping as dom requires active movement for zones and pts. If you see the opposite team converting a zone, you move to squash em from good vantage pts. Sound is not an issue.

In TDM, I do have concerns about camping being king. Maps are large with lots of nooks and crannies. With no zone notification of someone being close, the team who is down kills will have to move to find the campers. This doesn't bother me, as I plan most of my shots for medium to long range. But going in short range where the sound will give you away will be a disadvantage for movement. I wasn't a sensor fan in GR1, but sensors may be a way to even some of this out. Have to assault a nasty campage spot? Lay a sensor, red up the map, and then start fragging. Better map design for TDM, smaller and less crannies will probably be the direction we'll have to take.

AOD+AFZ vs BDA the other night we had an 11 vs 11 and it was a freakin blast. Aggressive movement on the front, slower movement in the end. Good mix of action, firefights, explosives. The only downside is the altered-game-files-glitch-boot that occurs which impedes match flow (please fix this soon GRIN).

All the pansies here and in other forums who's teams are afraid to match are missing out on good times. So far we've only been able to get matches/scrims with only a handful of teams. Jump in the water, its fine.

In TDM, I do have concerns about camping being king. Maps are large with lots of nooks and crannies. With no zone notification of someone being close, the team who is down kills will have to move to find the campers.

Yep, indeed this is pretty much what is going to happen in TDM.... Therefor, I think Domination, or HH, both with zero spawns, will definitely be the matching of choice.

I believe the traditional US preferance of TDM will come to an end and be replaced by HH or Dom.

(HH for GR was always more popular in Europe than in US).

By the way, God fun the practise match BDA vs AOD/AFZ the other day! :thumbsup:

In TDM, I do have concerns about camping being king. Maps are large with lots of nooks and crannies. With no zone notification of someone being close, the team who is down kills will have to move to find the campers.

Yep, indeed this is pretty much what is going to happen in TDM.... Therefor, I think Domination, or HH, both with zero spawns, will definitely be the matching of choice.

looking at the direction GRIN took in map design, i guess you're both right. as much as i would want to see full scale insanity on the front line in matches, it'll probably never happen. well, at least not before players feel confident enough to rush through emty-looking areas. TDM will still work though. imo, it will be the ultimate mode for matching, especially for bigger matches. being blind on the battlefield is what's gonna bring out that original feeling from GR matching. no sensors, no flashing zones, just you, your rifle and your team.i believe it's gonna come down to the exact same tactics we had to use in [GR]. smaller maps can be rushed, bigger ones camped, and so on... as long as the game format is the same(the likes of TCZ) - it will not get boring.