Ghost Recon.net Forums

I found it...in all its beauty. Breaking the limit for the maximum allowable weight for an Intel HS...the limit is 450g it is a whopping 750g+..held up with enforced Aluminum supports , without further adoo the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu

pic7.jpg

pic9.jpg

I just ordered it :P

Edited by Stinger

Stinger,

I hope it fits on your board! :o

Firefly2442,

As RooK stated, copper is the preferred material for a heatsink. Why? Because copper is a better conductor of heat. Many mainstream companies produce aluminum heatsinks, and while cheaper, do not offer as high heat transfer. However, aluminum dissapates heat faster than copper. Hence the reason some manufactures release a heatsink with a combination of a copper core(contact portion) and aluminum fins.

I saw a hsf earlier this week online...CoolerMaster I think. The heatsink was standard, however the fan portion looked like a vertical Orb-style hsf. It directs air sideways instead of straight out. Kind of cool, have to look around for it again and post it.

Now I understand how they work. ;) Thanks. I was reading in a computer mag about a graphics card that doesn't use fans. It uses some other thing to cool it but in the process makes it huge so the slots on either side won't fit. It's super quiet though because of the absence of the fans.

IIRC MaximumPC tried the Zalman Flower like Rocky posted and they found ti didn't cool as well as other styles of HSF combo and that the fan and bracket assembly got in the way of the vid card (IIRC) and was a bigger hassle to use than other more standard designs. One of the top rated HSs was one made of pins that had more surface area than a "normal" type finned heatsink.

WhiteKnight, you're talking about the Swiftech brand of heatsinks. But seeing as they cost $55 w/ fan and a Thermalright SLK-800 cost $37 w/o, I'd take the Thermalright. Not to mention, Thermalright is always being innovative and topping the 'best cooler' chart.

Alpha also makes some good ones, but like Swiftech, expensive.

hey Rocky i have a bud thats running that zalman flower he loves it looks good too

Yeh, it is cool huh? On the quietpc.com site the have a flash movie showing how to install it and all it's adjustments, neat.

yep we were worried that it would get in the way of the video card and or other mobo parts but actualy it sits rather nice, the trick seems to be if you use the supplied fan and bracket is placement.

he runs this system as a gaming rig mostly amd 2200xp sb live msi kt3 ultra 2 and a gf4 mx 440 and hasnt had any problems tho it does run a tad warmer than mine

Yeah Rook I think you are right on that, I couldn't remember the companies name that made them that MaxPC was talking about. My Volcano 9 was $30 so what's another $20 on top of that? When I first built my system it was like 70 F (though it felt cooler, bloody drafts) in my apartment and maybe 40 something outside. Without OC'ing I would only get as high as maybe 46/114 under load. Now with a slight OC equal to a 2700+ I have gotten as high as 50/122 but it was like 80 F ambient inside my apartment. Tho I am not worried about it at this time, if I decide to push my system even more I may want to try a different HSF.

Bad news kinda, I had my mom go upstairs to order the thing cause she has the Credit Card. So last night she went up and I forgot to ask her and make sure it was all good. So I remembered and asked her today and she said that when she went up they were all out ######...she didnt even tell me HA! So I will have to wait till it is back in stock prolly. Cause Newegg is the cheapest. And One guy with a 3.06 took his to 3.7 with this JUST AIR COOLING, and 3.06's run pretty dang hot anyways. :o

If you guys ever care to look into Thermalright (I have an AX-7), you might be surprised. On Overclockers.com, they have a huge list of heatsinks tested. Out of the top 10, 9 are Thermalright. ;)

Their current 'top' performer is the SLK-900-U, utilizing a copper design and a 92mm fan. Simply superb cooling, though it is pricey.

I go to www.forstytech.com for my HS reviews. And it liked the Vantec7 Aeroflow7040 a lot. http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?...eid=1260&page=1

This may be the sexiest HSF ever made...

vantecvp4c7040_perspec.jpg

vantecvp4c7040_bot1.jpg

vantecvp4c7040_nofan1.jpg

That one is cheaper than the Zalman and it would for sure fit so I may go with it instead of the Zalman.

P.S. RooK, that site uses that kinda Watts crap you were talking about on aim the other night.