Is GRAW the Lockdown of the Ghost Recon Series

I dont dislike it, I think it is worth buying BUT I would wait until say Sept. when it will be "finished" I may play it once a week thru my SP Campaign till my AI ###### me off then I turn it off. besides at this pace it may be in the Bargain Bin before we get the whole game.

Well said that man.

But I would also add - don't be conned by the 'Ghost Recon' tag - think of it more as a new game called 'Advanced Warfighter'.

(Oh - and try the demo).

(And if you have any interest in what happend to Lockdown, try here http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/8081011862)

Edited by OliverReed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the game because of the series' history as well as the future modability of this version.

GRAW is going to be the starting point for many years of incredible mods, maps, redesigns, etc.

It's only the beginning...

I agree, I have never played a ghost recon game before this one because I like fps games, that being said I LOVE THIS GAME! It will only get better and this game is raising the bar for fps play. (even in its glitchy state)

Patch Patch Patch this game so we can see the total potential that it will have.

I am considering buying GRAW but only on the reputation of the previous PC versions of Ghost Recon that i liked so much.

Unfortunately it seems like a completely different game from the Realistic tactical games of the past. From what little i have seen it reminds me of the way great games like the Rainbow Six series and to some extent the Swat series have gone.

So is it worth buying and why?

In a way it is, but it IS worth buying it.

Save your money and don't buy this half baked turkey as it sounds like the MP aspect is in need of a transfusion and the SP aspect is missing all the gameplay modes that made GR great. Heck it's now up in the air as to IF there will ever be any way to ever mod this as GR so wonderfully allowed us to do. :( I didn't waste my money after playing the demo and hearing what the game lacked. I was even going to get this as a birthday present in a few days but told the person to please not waste $50 on a game that would only allow me to play the SP campaign and nothing more. :wall:

Save your money and don't buy this half baked turkey as it sounds like the MP aspect is in need of a transfusion

Since when? We're getting TWO new MP modes, when most of the MP folks only screamed for TDM. They're getting HH as well. Just give the god damn game some time and stop being an impatient person. Wait.

Since when? We're getting TWO new MP modes, when most of the MP folks only screamed for TDM. They're getting HH as well. Just give the god damn game some time and stop being an impatient person. Wait.

Put that thing on safe...everybodys got an opinion and a right to express them. As a matter of fact, I think I recall you posting along similiar lines not long ago.

Well, despite the fact that the OP seems to have already made his/her mind up, I'll toss my two pennies into the fountain. D_E_M_O_, that's the only way to go!

I shoulda been a cheerleader like Scott Mitchell.

It WILL get better...

Save your money and don't buy this half baked turkey as it sounds like the MP aspect is in need of a transfusion

Watch your mouth, no sense in using that language. :nono:

I had fun with Lockdown. I didn't really try it in MP which I read was really bad though. I'd say it should have been a $30 maybe $35 retail game. The SP portion just felt like a strung together pointless level romp. Fun in its own way, but not really an R6 style game. I think GR:AW is a far from being the "Lockdown" of the series though.

One big problem with GR:AW pc is that it has too many people to try and satisfy to answer the question "is it worth buying?" You have the people who only play MP adversarily type games, coop people, sp people, people who enjoy modding, people who want a game they can play for 2.5 years, people who do it all, the list grows. It's a lot to satisfy in one package and not quite fair to lay blame on the developer only when all of those criteria aren't met on day one.

The other problem with GR:AW is that it's hard to run with nice looking settings and resolution unless you have a fairly recent cpu, vid card, and enough ram(seems 1gig isn't so great).

If you like military / special ops type FPSs, I'd say it's worth buying. On the other hand, if you really love [GR] like there's no tomorrow and don't give many others a try, there's a good chance you might not dig GR:AW pc much.

It seems to have a better following among folks who didn't have the [GR] experience upon which to bias their observations of GRAW. I've tried to approach my experience with this game lately keeping in mind that it is NOT a sequel to [GR], and that changed my attitude on it considerably.

When I first started posting about the game, I was mad. VERY mad. I was on the ol' "It's not [GR], darnit!" bandwagon. And those who maintain that position on the game ARE ENTITLED TO THAT OPINION. But I've had a much more satisfying overall gameplay experience, both SP and MP, taking it as the whole new game that it is. And I've played a bit more [GR] as well, but let's not go there.

Point? I have none as usual. But it's too early to go to bed and too late to head out for dinner, so here I am. Typing. Bored. About to go play some more SP...

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME - YOU ARE NOT MISSING OUT BY NOT PLAYING THIS. YOU WILL BE LUCKY TO FIND 50-100 IN A SERVER ONLINE. THIS FROM A GAME THAT IS 3 MONTHS OLD?!?

Save your money for a couple of months and buy Armed Assault - guaranteed to have full servers all over the world for years to come, and then theres Obsidian Edge 2 which will be out in 6 months or so.

Save your cash, stick with your older games for a few months.

You buy this, you waste your money. Period.

rossiski, in years to come ppl will have forgotten this game. "Remember GRAW?" "Vaguely, I think thats when I realized GR was dead...."

Apparently, it didn't take you years to forget what you posted two months ago:

Well, it is brilliant, and highly addictive. In fact, it is exactly what I and many others were looking for as the next step in the GR series.

Make up your mind mate. You like it, or you don't.

Not being much of a GR fan I cant really say how this version matches up I bought this game due to a friend of mine who told me the owned it and played it online and said it was amazing ....after I bought the game they then decided to tell me "ow yeah I play the x-box 360 version not the pc version" again not being a x-box 360 owner I dont know if that version is better .

I'm an ex OFP player I loved that game with a passion I know OFP did not suite everyones taste but I loved it .....the same can be said for every game I guess really you just have to take a chance you'll either love it or hate it.

At the moment I'm staying neutral about my feelings for GR:AW ....as in ...Would I have bought the game if my friend hadn't said he had it ..NO

Would I have bought it if I knew I had to update my pc to play it properly...NO "old RIG ..alienware ..Amd64 4200 proc...nvidia 6800GT..1gig ram" ..."New rig Amd64 4400 x2 dual core proc...Nvidia 7900 x 2 in SLI...2 Gig RAM" total cost = £40 for the game ....£1400 for the new rig .

All this just so I could play a game on decent settings....not really worth it to be honest ...but as the saying goes a fool and his money are easily parted ....I must be Homer Simpson ....Doo!!!

Anyways getting back to the game ...overall its not a bad game seen better seen worse will just have to see what these next few patches bring ...but if after these next patches the game is still falling short then I'm gonna put the dvd back in its case.....stomp the crap out of it and throw it in the bin !!!

I just hope they can find the time to implement some anti-cheat software and something for the people running the servers to enable them to file check individuals that seem a bit suspect shall we say .

Ow yeah I forgot to mention something amongst all my rambings.....

If a server is hosting a map you dont have in your game register you simply get booted from the server this is annoying !!

Wouldn't it be better if you could simply download the maps from the server just like you could in OFP for example .

Single player.. GREAT! Not like [GR] but still a great game. If you want the game for multiplayer, i'd stay far far away... even with these updates, it probably won't fix the awful net code... like i'd like to know why a person running around a corner always seems to have the advantage? Realistic.. BS!

I would say lockdown is better than graw

:o

I would have to agree with Jay316 tbh.

As everyone here likes to keep pointing out, GR:AW shouldn't be compared to [GR]. Fine

If we apply the same to Lockdown (don't compare it to the rest of the R6 series) then we have a game that you can at least play online, has multiple modes of online play, good Co-op (ok more than 4 would have been nice but at least you don't end the mission if someone dies), and it has infinetly less bugs than GR:AW has.

So it's a different game, but all in all at least you can play it with a moderate spec system without it falling over all the time and can play it in loads of modes online.

That in my book makes it better.

I would have to agree with Jay316 tbh.

As everyone here likes to keep pointing out, GR:AW shouldn't be compared to [GR]. Fine

If we apply the same to Lockdown (don't compare it to the rest of the R6 series) then we have a game that you can at least play online, has multiple modes of online play, good Co-op (ok more than 4 would have been nice but at least you don't end the mission if someone dies), and it has infinetly less bugs than GR:AW has.

So it's a different game, but all in all at least you can play it with a moderate spec system without it falling over all the time and can play it in loads of modes online.

That in my book makes it better.

Good points, well made. Can't argue with your reasoning, Dai-san; I retract my previous emoticon.

I am considering buying GRAW but only on the reputation of the previous PC versions of Ghost Recon that i liked so much.

You will be sorely dissapointed if you buy it for that reason my friend. Save your money. Watch this forum for patch updates, though, they may fix it eventually. Right now, it's not even close the the original.

Actually single player is a blast, and multi is almost complete.

Very fun game.

all we need now is fresh meat. i want to see GRAW PC commercials on TV. just like everyhting else in life, this is a game of numbers. out of 300 people hearing about the game, 30 will find their systems suitable for gameplay, 10 will try the demo, and 2 people might buy a copy. and then it's a 50/50 chance whether either of those 2 will go online or not, and whether they'll keep playing online. all in a day's work.