Is GRAW the Lockdown of the Ghost Recon Series

I am considering buying GRAW but only on the reputation of the previous PC versions of Ghost Recon that i liked so much.

Unfortunately it seems like a completely different game from the Realistic tactical games of the past. From what little i have seen it reminds me of the way great games like the Rainbow Six series and to some extent the Swat series have gone.

So is it worth buying and why?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES. Because it will get better, and is already pretty good. Sure it's NOT the old GR, but then who would pay $55 to get the old GR in a new box? (oh yeah... WE would) It's a bit different, sure. But it's worth the investment unless you have to choose between this and food for the next week. Then take the food. Though I wouldn't...

I pre-ordered the game based on the reputation and enjoyable gameplay from [GR]. I'll never purchase a game based on that again. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's not. But, I won't be so hasty as to buy a title that I will play for a month then put it on the shelf, waiting for something to happen.

Just try the demo. If you like it, you will like single player. Couldn't say the same thing for Multiplayer as it was terribly implemented and not many people play online as the result of it. The previous patches failed to offer anything spectacular, but fixing several bugs. If you have played SWAT 4, then you would have an idea where GRAW multiplayer is heading to. The only difference is, there are more people playing SWAT 4 online.

Edited by intelfactor

If you want my advice , id say - Dont buy it ! wait and see what next patches will bring, this game is late beta imho (lots of bugs and lacks many things). Personaly im a big [GR] fan and im very disappointed with GRAW, im planing to wait 2 more patches and if they dont fix ( finish) game then im going to sell it.

Buying GRAW is like buying ticked for a 120 min long movie in cinema, then after 90 min movie ends and you receive message like " Dont wory ppl we are still shoting this movie ! next month we will release next 10 min and we will fix the soundman who shows in some scenes and we will add muzleflashes in firefights ! stay tuned !"

Edited by Joseph_Q

Thanks for your advice.

Ive tried the demo but on very much reduced settings. Will i buy this game? the short answer is no

Unfortunately my PC just about managed to run GRAW demo. I would need serious graphics card upgrade to run it well (which i would have been willing to do had the game been of the same standard as GR 1 was for its time) Its not that its a bad game but IMHO it doesnt deserve the title Ghost Recon as it seems like just another "tactical shooter" if you could call it that.

I think i will stick to Swat 4 despite its many failings

Its not that its a bad game but IMHO it doesnt deserve the title Ghost Recon as it seems like just another "tactical shooter" if you could call it that.

You have hit the the nail on the head with concerns about the game. After playing the game since it's release, it doesn't carry on GR very well or at all. none the less, I try to keep reminding myself this isn't GR and just play it anyway.

I played the Lockdown demo last night.

There is no way in Hell that GRAW is along the likes of Lockdown. How the hell can you even give the R6 name to Lockdown to that hunk of ######? They turned a slow-paced, "Check the corners" tactical FPS into a fast-paced, spray and spray FPS. That's not R6.

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield being my favorite Tactical FPS as of today, I was so ###### off how they ported the PS2 version of LockDown to the PC. There was so many broken promises from Ubi it was just unbelievable. I remember watching the Dev trailers on gamespot.com. UBI tried to BS about how LockDown was not a console port and that it was brought up to PC standards. Then after weeks of turmoil in the LockDown forums as a result of its release, the R6 Council admitted it was a mere port from the PS2 version.

Edited by intelfactor

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME - YOU ARE NOT MISSING OUT BY NOT PLAYING THIS. YOU WILL BE LUCKY TO FIND 50-100 IN A SERVER ONLINE. THIS FROM A GAME THAT IS 3 MONTHS OLD?!?

Save your money for a couple of months and buy Armed Assault - guaranteed to have full servers all over the world for years to come, and then theres Obsidian Edge 2 which will be out in 6 months or so.

Save your cash, stick with your older games for a few months.

You buy this, you waste your money. Period.

rossiski, in years to come ppl will have forgotten this game. "Remember GRAW?" "Vaguely, I think thats when I realized GR was dead...."

Edited by PoW_LigHtsPeEd

as lightspeed so eloquently tried to explain, he is not a big fan of GRAW, funnily enough he has spent a surprisingly large amout of time making maps for it.

anyways, as you can see, the opinions differs quite greatly from person to person, like always, but I think its best to form your own opinion and download the demo.

cheers

as lightspeed so eloquently tried to explain, he is not a big fan of GRAW, funnily enough he has spent a surprisingly large amout of time making maps for it.

Im not sure if it is a best thing to do talking with irony about someone who paid 50 $ for unfinished product with false advertising campaign and tells that he is disappointed and mad. You better work on GRAW to finish it for ppl who already bought the game, it might make them stop discourage others who ask if the game is worth 50$ and who knows maybe GRAW is not going to be a total flop as it seems to be right now.

cheers

PS. Posts like this make me wana sell this crapy game without waiting for next patch.

Edited by Joseph_Q

GR:AW is in no way as bad as the last R6 "Letdown". However if you are looking for GR:AW to be like [GR], then just play [GR].

In my opinion GR:AW is best when modded. For example when all diamonds are turned off, the blood effect is modded like [GR], the HUD is cleaned up (removing the camera windows and video windows, etc.), this is when GR:AW begins to show its potential. There are quite a few mods out that will allow you to tailor GR:AW to your taste and expectations.

Buy a used version of GR:AW, install all the patches, and then ask around about some mods. That would be the cheapest way to test GR:AW fully.

silent_op

This forum reminds me of the Swat 4 forums.

People complaining about there not being a proper anti cheat and what looks like a game thrown out before it was ready without the proper support , Other more hardcore fans complaining about how poor the new game is compared to its predecessors having to rely on mods to make up for a game that was put together poorly.

I think that while you can have fun with this game, you are kidding yourself if you think it's a worthy installment of the GR series.

I would love to go onto [GR] and play some Coop but like Swat 3 there really is only a handfull of players ever around.

As for Armed Assault i will probably get it but the difference with the games i mentioned before was that they were all small squads and you felt elite whereas in AA and OFP you are just a grunt in a bigger army.

I guess all good things really do come to an end

If you like tactical simulators, then you shouldn't buy GRAW, because it is not a simulator. GRAW has a good grafic, but it is too much arcade game. [GR] better.

So, if you like a perfect grafic and you can spend 400 bucks to have a superb videocard, then you may buy this game. But it will cost 400+50 bucks.

And yes... GRAW is Lockdown of Ghost Recon series.

Edited by RLT-Olegrus

I dont dislike it, I think it is worth buying BUT I would wait until say Sept. when it will be "finished" I may play it once a week thru my SP Campaign till my AI ###### me off then I turn it off. besides at this pace it may be in the Bargain Bin before we get the whole game.