Map Pack #2 Info

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are in a state of confusion over the killcam/deathcam/that-cam-thingy-they-are-putting-in-the-next-patch, this quote is taken right from the source, http://ghostrecon.com/us/newspost.php?id=16089

"Additionally, this map pack will implement the death cam, a feature showing you how you died and who shot you, and allowing you to see the game through the remaining players. This pack is still in development, aiming for a release at the end of July or beginning of August."

So, it is a killcam, showing you who killed you and how, I would assume through the eyes of your killer, as in COD2, AND it is a deathcam, allowing you to spectate from your teammates view until the next round.

Hope that helps clear the confusion for some of you.

The death came sounds like a good anti-cheat tool, so you'll know if someone shot you though the smoke screen or was tracking you behind a wall until you came out from behind it.

However I can see where it will give the enemy too much info that could be shared on Comms. It will probably be disabled in most matches as long as there is some kind of replay engine.

The death came sounds like a good anti-cheat tool, so you'll know if someone shot you though the smoke screen or was tracking you behind a wall until you came out from behind it.

However I can see where it will give the enemy too much info that could be shared on Comms. It will probably be disabled in most matches as long as there is some kind of replay engine.

what's the point of a good anti-cheat tool if you're going to disable it for a match when that's where anticheats are needed most. who cares if you're cheated in pubs.

For those who are in a state of confusion over the killcam/deathcam/that-cam-thingy-they-are-putting-in-the-next-patch, this quote is taken right from the source, http://ghostrecon.com/us/newspost.php?id=16089

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=401656

According to a dev, that news post at GR.com isn't right...

And we've all learned over the last couple months who knows better: GRiN. LOL, or maybe there's an XboX 360 bonus in there. Who knows?! Hopefully we'll all know for sure in the next week or so...

And THEN we'll get like 50 more threads about "What I'd do with the Killcam if I had a million bucks"...

what's the point of a good anti-cheat tool if you're going to disable it for a match when that's where anticheats are needed most. who cares if you're cheated in pubs.

Everyone in a match will be on comms with their teammates. Its bad enough dead players can tell live ones where they think they got shot from, but its even worse if they can say with absolute certainty because of the death cam.

A good replay system will make the death cam useless, as having a few seconds of someone's view go by real quick doesn't even compare to the ability to review the entire game later.

The other 90% of us that aren't involved in matches or units or clans or whatever. We care.

The other 90% of us that aren't involved in matches or units or clans or whatever. We care.

And who do you think pays for those servers you play on? The clans are the ones forking out $150+ a month. I don't fault you or anybody else for not being in a clan or wanting to be in one but it takes alot of time/patience/money/energy to keep a clan organized and the servers clean and ggz especially for matches. I give you that most people who play online don't match but without the teams that do ladder and pub alot to keep competitive, the MP side of a game would die pretty quickly for most games. I think GR:AW is a perfect example of it. There aren't many people who play online right now. The reason for that is because there are no dedicated server files and not much an AC so laddering is nonexistant right now. But if the dedi's come out and a decent AC also then you will see alot of clans get their own servers>>>recruit new players>>>>alot more people online.

Edited by [99]-Athenian

For co-opers... at least the kill cam will be nice ;) when you die you can watch your teamie in action.

this is already possible since day one. just press "1", "2", "3" to watch the other guys who are still alive... so nothing new for coopers in this patch/mappack :(

This is already possible since day one. just press "1", "2", "3" to watch the other guys who are still alive... so nothing new for coopers in this patch/mappack :(

There certainly is something new for COOP players here. The fullscreen crosscom that you speak of is not an adequate observation mode for COOP. It was the only observation device available in the game when it shipped however, so it has been better than nothing. Many COOP players, including myself don't stay around very long to observe after dying as the whole "shaking camera" deal you get with the fullscreen crosscom can make one nauseous, not to mention the fact that on night missions you can't see anything that is going on. The standard observation cam coming in the next patch will finally give COOP players an acceptable way to observe in COOP once they are dead. I only hope that the game devs ensure we can turn on and off nightvision while observing, otherwise we still won't be able to observe much of anything for those COOP night missions. We should also have the ability to zoom in and out while observing. Lastly and this is a given, said observation cam(s) should be available for all game types, both Cooperative and Adversarial game types. Edited by Low Profile

This is already possible since day one. just press "1", "2", "3" to watch the other guys who are still alive... so nothing new for coopers in this patch/mappack :(

There certainly is something new for COOP players here. The fullscreen crosscom that you speak of is not an adequate observation mode for COOP. It was the only observation device available in the game when it shipped however, so it has been better than nothing. Many COOP players, including myself don't stay around very long to observe after dying as the whole "shaking camera" deal you get with the fullscreen crosscom can make one nauseous, not to mention the fact that on night missions you can't see anything that is going on. The standard observation cam coming in the next patch will finally give COOP players an acceptable way to observe in COOP once they are dead. I only hope that the game devs ensure we can turn on and off nightvision while observing, otherwise we still won't be able to observe much of anything for those COOP night missions. We should also have the ability to zoom in and out while observing. Lastly and this is a given, said observation cam(s) should be available for all game types, both Cooperative and Adversarial game types.

according to this:

Just to clarify, it is not a "kill cam" that's been implemented. It's a "death cam", being able to spectate through the eyes of your remaining team mates when you are dead and have no respawns left.

...there's nothing new for me to coop.

Everyone in a match will be on comms with their teammates. Its bad enough dead players can tell live ones where they think they got shot from, but its even worse if they can say with absolute certainty because of the death cam.

A good replay system will make the death cam useless, as having a few seconds of someone's view go by real quick doesn't even compare to the ability to review the entire game later.

What if... during the match... the clips are saved?

...to pull this off also... it sounds like the game may be tracking and saving everything, then just sending the player a clip of some sorts.

That may mean... server has some sort of replay... and client gets to see a brief scene of what happened.

Only speculating here... but it may be happening.

I'd tend to think that the case. Of course, doubt it needs mentioning, the server would only store data and not actual VIDEO. But from that raw data (position, rate, attitude, actions, stance, etc.) the video WE see could be reconstructed from any angle and at any distance. Blahblahblah. It would be FAR more reliable than trying to playback the actual video that was displaying on some client somewhere. And with THAT in mind, it might only be a matter of time until some 1337 H4K3R (is that even close?) tries to sell you an app that both makes beautiful replays AND lets him run around your server killing invisibly with an M9 pistol...

There certainly is something new for COOP players here. The fullscreen crosscom that you speak of is not an adequate observation mode for COOP. It was the only observation device available in the game when it shipped however, so it has been better than nothing. Many COOP players, including myself don't stay around very long to observe after dying as the whole "shaking camera" deal you get with the fullscreen crosscom can make one nauseous, not to mention the fact that on night missions you can't see anything that is going on. The standard observation cam coming in the next patch will finally give COOP players an acceptable way to observe in COOP once they are dead. I only hope that the game devs ensure we can turn on and off nightvision while observing, otherwise we still won't be able to observe much of anything for those COOP night missions. We should also have the ability to zoom in and out while observing. Lastly and this is a given, said observation cam(s) should be available for all game types, both Cooperative and Adversarial game types.

according to this:

Just to clarify, it is not a "kill cam" that's been implemented. It's a "death cam", being able to spectate through the eyes of your remaining team mates when you are dead and have no respawns left.

...there's nothing new for me to coop.

Unless you plan to continue only using the fullscreen crosscom and not the "new" observation cam than I guess you are right. There is nothing new regarding this for you. If we are actually able to enable nightvision when using this "new" observation cam I guess you'll continue observing night missions in the dark instead via the fullscreen crosscom, since the "new" observation cam won't bring anything new to the table for you. Somehow I doubt that. You can split hairs all you like quoting prior comments in this thread which (in your mind) substantiate your original reply. That's all well and good. The fact still remains however, that this is a "new" feature for COOP players (and Adversarial players alike) that I see each and every COOP player using. Edited by Low Profile

-Athenian' date='Jul 26 2006, 12:55 PM' post='403183']

And who do you think pays for those servers you play on? The clans are the ones forking out $150+ a month. I don't fault you or anybody else for not being in a clan or wanting to be in one but it takes alot of time/patience/money/energy to keep a clan organized and the servers clean and ggz especially for matches. I give you that most people who play online don't match but without the teams that do ladder and pub alot to keep competitive, the MP side of a game would die pretty quickly for most games. I think GR:AW is a perfect example of it. There aren't many people who play online right now. The reason for that is because there are no dedicated server files and not much an AC so laddering is nonexistant right now. But if the dedi's come out and a decent AC also then you will see alot of clans get their own servers>>>recruit new players>>>>alot more people online.

What do you think, only adversarial players have organized "clans" or groups? The CO-OP side of MP also has mature players with money, patience, and organization skills. I belong to a CO-OP group, Phoenix Soldiers. We're a GR1 CO-OP group. We would be running GR:AW CO-OP on our high speed server if there were at least dedicated server files (plus more CO-OP player slots). Believe me, there are a lot more than just my group who are CO-OP players. There are also CO-OP based tournaments. Adversarial is not the only side with tournaments. GR:AW's weak online presence is exactly as you mentioned, due to the lack of dedicated server files for all.

silent_op

Edited by silent_op

-Athenian' date='Jul 26 2006, 06:55 AM' post='403183']

You missed my point. I meant that the majority of us care if we get cheated on public servers. It wasn't an attack on clans or anything, just on someone commenting on how public servers are, in their eyes apparently, pathetic and useless.

Killcam works great in COD2. It definitely weeds out alot of BS whining about being killed by hackers when a killcam will embarass you as to how blind you were to your opponent. And yes, I have uncovered some hackage because of it. This is a great addition, and alone may be recordable since it might enable client side recording.? Either way, its a step toward replays.

I dont know what ur going on about, i am able to do that now with 1.20....once dead juat hit 1,2,3, and watch what they are doing...

Killcam works great in COD2. It definitely weeds out alot of BS whining about being killed by hackers when a killcam will embarass you as to how blind you were to your opponent. And yes, I have uncovered some hackage because of it. This is a great addition, and alone may be recordable since it might enable client side recording.? Either way, its a step toward replays.

I dont know what ur going on about, i am able to do that now with 1.20....once dead juat hit 1,2,3, and watch what they are doing...

THEY ARE talking about online MULTIPLAYER NOT ONLINE CO-OP .... for the 32 player games !

best regards

viii