Terrain creation!

Lognoreng

First i wanna say hi to everyone here (first post),

And so, after reading thru the documents supplied by GRIN, checking around a little here and there, noticing the complexity of this engine (as compared to other game engines I have worked on).

So, for the terrain, i am not at all familiar with vertex painting. But i do understand how it works. I can't however understand how/where the textures end up where they are supposed to be. I have always used different material channels when modelling and that's more logic.

So, bottom line, have anyone stumbled upon a more user friendly guide to it, that can describe a bit more in depth or step by step. Since i personally seem to have an easier time understanding the stuff if its arranged a bit better.

Sorry if there already is a thread like this one, and i'd appreciate any help!

yes , material id's are still the way to go , however under the tools menu ( top of screen ) there is a vertex colors tool , you then go into sub object mode with vertices and select the bordering vertices and apply a midtone greyscale color .

your differing materia;s will then become white or black , so the transition you painted ( selected by the vertices ) will have white for one texture , grey for the blend , and black for the other texture .

i dont know how many textures you can vertex paint at once , you may have to collapse the stack or convert it to an editable mesh for thee next etxture blending process .

Edited by Dimz_RR

you still use texture ids like you normally do, the vertex colors are merely there to create a blend between the diffrent id areas. you should really open up the material xmls for the terrains and see what they look like, might give you some more understanding!

I believe Grin_bumbis tutorial is how low level we can get without it turning into a 3dsmax tutorial, and there are plenty of other places to find 3dsmax tutorials for game art:)

like www.polycount.com

www.cgchat.com

www.cglibrary.com

www.cgtalk.com

www.3dbuzz.com

etc etc :)

we cant really provide 3dsmax tutorials as we dont have the time for that, we can only give you whats engine specific, otherwise the workload would be too huge and we would spend our days writing 3dsmax tutorials instead of making games! :)

dimz is correct on the two first parts of his reply but the third one is wack ;) what textures blends with what is decided by what materials it has in max and how that material is setup in the xml, again, refeer to the xmls!:)

toodles

Oh!.

I think i just realised something.

The mesh included is all material id #1, that was why i thought there were some other wierd way you did it. And i got all confused and stuff.

But then i realised, its up to the user to apply those textures, both the ID's, to generally map out the textures, and adding the blends, as a part of learning the procedure.

However the Vtex paint looked like it was painted on, that might have been one of the reasons for the confusion.

I hope i got everything correctly now, if not, i'll uninstall max and load paint and draw a nice boat.... :o

Oh!.

I think i just realised something.

The mesh included is all material id #1, that was why i thought there were some other wierd way you did it. And i got all confused and stuff.

But then i realised, its up to the user to apply those textures, both the ID's, to generally map out the textures, and adding the blends, as a part of learning the procedure.

However the Vtex paint looked like it was painted on, that might have been one of the reasons for the confusion.

I hope i got everything correctly now, if not, i'll uninstall max and load paint and draw a nice boat.... :o

hope it works out:) we dont want you to quit your modding!

1st thing.. welcome :)

bumbi did a great job with that tutorial but if you really wanna understand the terrain's creation process, let me suggest you to start from scratch, with a new mesh and new simpler textures (eg: colored dots and lines, just keep the materials.xml structure) this way you'll easily see how the blending works.. :thumbsup:

I managed to blend 2 random materials with Vtexpaint. So now i know that.

I'd still love to have a look at a fully textured and blended terrain that is GRAW-ready.

Someone should have one laying around. It will spare me some time..

Back to fiddling ------>

Read the tutorial and understood it right, Now im creating a more advanced one, and see how it works out.. (Woodland theme FTW)

@Obmanta

The blue/yellow squares indicates that the texture couldnt not be found, i had it on a terrain when i forgot to add the texture to the texture scope.xml. So something is wrong =)