So who else?

RAbbi_74

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USAF, 85-87. Trained and worked as a C130 Turboprop Engine Mechanic. Earned expert marksman repeatedly. I've been to Chanute AFB, Illinois, Dyess AFB, Texas, and RAF Lakenheath, UK.

However, have been to Japan for 5 years as a military spouse and to Pope AFB, North Carolina (was there 10 years).

Why does that scare me? :P

Haven't made it to the Middle East yet. I HAVE been to Bosnia i Herzegovina, and Albania, in the late '90's. I miss Eastern Europe...

I think Eastern Europe misses Eastern Europe too :o

swedish armed forces, first batallion, transvestite brigade.

we always had the element of surprise on our side.

Ah just like the germans dressing up as nuns in the second world war.

Makes me think of the tv series Allo Allo.... ;)

Quick word of advice to those who say they are considering joining the military service of their respective home countries...

A few years ago I went back to my old home town for my ten-year high school class reunion. Care to guess how many of my old classmates (graduated class of 150) had since been out of the Continental United States? Six, including myself. The other five had also served in the armed forces. Nearly half of that class hadn't yet been any further than 400 miles from hom in their lives (average 28 years old by then). over 2/3 hadn't bee to the opposite coast of the USA. See where I'm going here? During my time in the US Army, I've been to: Italy (twice), Albania, Croatia, Bosnia i Herzegovina, Poland, Germany, Hungary, Austria, Denmark, South Korea, Singapore, and Australia (twice also). While not all of those were on military business (Australia, Poland, Denmark, Singapore), they were all at least facilitated by my service. I've now seen all three coasts of my country; it's mountains, deserts, and forests; its rich and poor, it's highs and lows. I've picked up at least a little bit of several different languages along the wy as well (German, Polish, Russian, Korean, Italian), even if I can't remember much of them.

THAT alone made service worth my time. In the immediate future may lie the opportunity to see Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Pakistan, and/or other Middle Eastern destinations. Maybe Egypt even. Or back to Singapore for a couple years.

Service has it's ups and downs, and it's not for everyone. Some folks' personalities aren't compatable; others aren't made for the physical stresses. But for those of you who ARE compatable with what the service requires of you, I'd recommend giving it a shot for a couple years. Some of you, of course, live in countries with compulsory service obligations of some sort. For those of you with a choice, though, I say the military is a fine way to serve your country and your countrymen.

And if you never have or never do wear the uniform, at least we have this thing called GHOST RECON in common, so you're all cool in my book! :)

Nah. Simple case of trading patches with soldiers from other nations while I was stationed in Bosnia with SFOR, plus some outright purchases of patches from PX's on other nations bases.

Look closely and you will also see an US 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment Patch, unfortunately the 1st Armoured Division (Old Ironsides) patch that I also got fell off the bag at some stage. Could always hunt up a new one but it just won't be the same.

I'm going in next summer. Serving in the "Kings guard" in the Norwegian army.

Hey, I was supposed to have my service there. Probably in the 2nd VIP proctection company, but I got transfered to Panserbataljonen (armour battalion) instead. Ended up in Stormeskadron 3, but I got discharged after 5 weeks for a lot of reasons.

The army was probably both the best and the worst experience of my life so far. Haven't checked if it's possible, but I might go back some day after getting some education and stuff like that. It'll be a lot easier when I know what to expect, or what not to expect to be more exact.

I never served in the military and live in the United States. Was really thinking about joining the Air Force around the year 2000 but decided against it.

I have some rifle and handgun training as a civilian that allows me to use firearms somewhat proficiently though I could use some live fire (been about six months since I have done that).

I have the greatest respect for the freedoms listed in the Bill of Rights of the United States Constitution and know that many good men have shed their blood in defense of those liberties.

A big thumbs up to those who serve honorably in the armed forces! You guys defend our freedoms and the world would be a much worst place if you didn't do your job.

Just did my maths [re-take] exam yesterday. Will have my results in 2-3 weeks. Once I have my results, I'll be signing up. Also, on the news yesterday the RAF stated that now they are severely stretched ATM, what with the current Middle East crisis and all, so it will be an ideal time for me to join.

GOOD FOR YOU! See if you can get a job working on those AH-64Longbows over ther, and then we'll have something to shoot the bull over. I know one of your Boeing Field Service Rep's over there, too. Tony somethingorother. He was one of my instructors at the A-D transition course in Mesa, Arizona. FUNNY dude. You guys got essentially the same bird we did, other than the Rolls-Royce engines. Would be neat to hear what a difference they make, especially with the new T-700-GE-701D engines we're getting here.

But again, GOOD DEAL! Glad to see more good folks sigining up to take-on that responsibility...

I like how you said 'earned' those wings. In the 'Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet', they're simply given to kids who complete AIT for an aviation-related MOS. Even the Flight Ops (paper pushers) and Air Traffic Control joes get them straight out of school. Had a Major ask me once why I wasn't wearing mine. Had he been a lieutenant I might have told him the truth-that they mean about squat and I'd rather not embarass the guys and gals who DID earn theirs...

Further proof that marines make better soldiers... ;)

GOOD FOR YOU! See if you can get a job working on those AH-64Longbows over ther, and then we'll have something to shoot the bull over. I know one of your Boeing Field Service Rep's over there, too. Tony somethingorother. He was one of my instructors at the A-D transition course in Mesa, Arizona. FUNNY dude. You guys got essentially the same bird we did, other than the Rolls-Royce engines. Would be neat to hear what a difference they make, especially with the new T-700-GE-701D engines we're getting here.

But again, GOOD DEAL! Glad to see more good folks sigining up to take-on that responsibility...

My plan is join the RAF Regiment.

USAF 8yrs 4mths, Stationed at McChord AFB, WA, Clark AB, Philippines, and Travis AFB, CA.

I am a disabled veteran from the first Gulf War.

8 decorations, 2 devices.

hehe what happened? Your coffee cup get you in the knee while at a Ramada in Saudi? :D

I almost got into the British Army's Household Cavalry - but the Medical Board knocked me out on grounds of "residual traces of asthma". Nothing that hadn't let me spend all my teens running around the exercise areas of Aldershot and BAOR under a bergen, or going on to row at University level, but hey...

If I *had* got in, I might be playing RPG target practice in Helmand with the Talib, right now. Instead, I'm flying a desk as a writer, adman and not-so-secret [GR] addict. Then again, I did end up meeting and marrying the niece of the man who might have been my CO, so who doesn't believe in the workings of fate?

*Good effort* to all you gents who have, are, and will serve in the future.

:rolleyes:

8 decorations, 2 devices.

I think I got this right...

ribbons.jpg

Minus the devices. ARCOM is 3rd award. AAM is like fifth award. AGCM is fourth award. NDSM is second award. NCOPD is third award. I think that covers it. Give or take...

Add to that the Driver's Badge with Driver-T, Driver-W, Mechanic and Operator-S (can only wear three of those four at once), the Aviation Badge (used to be aircrew member badge, but times are a' changin'), and whatever qualification badge for M16A2 and M9. Used to also have EXPERT for M60, M136 AT4, M2, and M203. But haven't had a chance to qualify with those for many years...

I have. finally back from my second combat deployment to Iraq, this one a little more interesting, was wounded by a road side bomb, sustaining head and neck injuries and lacerations on my arm...

currently serving with the 3rd Ranger Batallion, prepping for Ranger School now.

anyways, got a purple heart out of it, nother ribbon to add to the stack, and free license plates, WOOT!

its good to be back, hope to see everyone around

Hope you recovered well from that, Must be feeling better now if you are heading to Ranger School. Glad you're back.

I have. finally back from my second combat deployment to Iraq, this one a little more interesting, was wounded by a road side bomb, sustaining head and neck injuries and lacerations on my arm...

currently serving with the 3rd Ranger Batallion, prepping for Ranger School now.

anyways, got a purple heart out of it, nother ribbon to add to the stack, and free license plates, WOOT!

its good to be back, hope to see everyone around

Hehe and to think that one exploding under my leg was bad... yeah bro heal up and good luck at school ;)