help importing building

Dimz_RR

hey all , i got a massive building i need import to test functionality and scale . was wondering if someone could take some time out to help me import it via im , because the tutorials help as far as exporting , but the materials sections is very uncler to me .

the building is ~10,000 polygons , completely carved out on 4 or 6 floors ( cant remember which ) , so this will be the most difficult import i have tried yet .

thanks to anyone who can help out , im sure youll be satisfied with the work im doing for the community .

For all you guys (and gals) hungry for making your own buildings, here are a couple of guidelines to get the size right :

A big city block in the historical missions consist of 6500 tri's.

The Shanty guardtower is 3000 tri's.

Industrial barrack is 800 tri's.

And finally...

The Tequila factory WITH surrounding walls and the big yard outside (as seen on the first SP mission) is 16000 tri's (for the building) and 12000 tri's (for ground and stairs), adding up to a total of 28000 tri's.

Keep in mind though that it's a unique building, used on a fairly small mission.

We always try to use the bump in the textures for details instead of meshing it out, with a 3m=1024px (high res) texture ratio for ground levels (first floor) and a 6m=1024px ratio for the second floor and up.

Also, try to use the existing textures for new buildings, or, create a completely new set of textures for your map - don't mix, since mixing is never good (and the engine has to load much more textures than it should...)

There will be a tutorial for building, exporting and setting up a modded building. Just not quite yet.

So, to sum it up:

Keep your buildings around 4000 tri's, with big city blocks or huge buildings around 6500 tri's.

Smaller ones (two floors) should never go over 1000 tri's.

That's it.

/Brim

i was wondering if you could help out a bit with the incoming tutorials , since i want to test max poly useage in view , i know its very different , but the shanty buildings and construction sites are ok , but a denser , more complex building would be a good thing for some cqc/midrange/sniper mixups .

i went fricken nuts with this hotel , and i know that its too high , but if i can manage solid occlusion , then it will have been worth it . plus i can always ditch the tv dishes and save ~12,000 polys lol .

[EDIT] without the tv dishes its only 9,500 tris !! LOL

textures are 1024 x 1024 for the facade , 512 H x 1024 for the interior rooms , and 512 x 512 or less for the detail meshes .

wireframes :

building_wires1.jpg

building_wires2.jpg

Edited by Dimz_RR