GRIN_WILLI, Invoke Compiler without the editor? Is this possible?

Obmanta

Willi?

Got a question for you.

Is there anyway that we can invoke the compile process without entering the editor?

This way we could get the benefit of the compile without taking the memory of the graphics in the editor

what do you think?

Thanks,

Obmanta

if you could give an example of when you would ever need to alter something outside the editor that doesnt directly effect the rendering of lightmaps. 99% of alterations to the files directly effect the lightmaps, so basically you would need to re-render anyways.....

and as its rendering lightmaps that take up the processing and such its kinda pointless to do this. so like i said if you give a valid reason as to why GRIN should make time to do what your asking im sure they will consider it.

if you could give an example of when you would ever need to alter something outside the editor that doesnt directly effect the rendering of lightmaps. 99% of alterations to the files directly effect the lightmaps, so basically you would need to re-render anyways.....

and as its rendering lightmaps that take up the processing and such its kinda pointless to do this. so like i said if you give a valid reason as to why GRIN should make time to do what your asking im sure they will consider it.

Map names, menu name, decals, props (brushes), dynamics, vehicles, electrical and other objects that are not involved in the "static" lightmapping. I use the command line tools quite often, but I'd appreciate additional detail.

Additionally, I'd like all the information possible on the creation of the various .bin files within the bundle. How they're created, internal organization, etc.

I've already found that it's quite easy to alter the contents within a bundle without having to deal with another multi-hour export (depending on the objects involved), so it would be nice to have any and all information you have on the specifics within the bundles.

Some particulars:

It appears all dynamics, vehicles and electrical items are dynamically lit, so adding, deleting, moving these items in a pre-existing map only requires some simple .xml editing.

massunit.bin appears to containt he decals/props(brush) items, so if you have some goofs, load the map back in the editor, touch up the decals/brush items, do a quick draft export, and replace the massunit.bin inside your full detail exported bundle file.

Deleting props from world.xml is a-ok (though some space may be wasted in the atlas .dds files from lightmaps no longer needed).

And plenty of other things that can be played around with in there w/o requiring a complete re-export of a map.

SO.... GRiN folks.... please share anything you can!

Willi?

Got a question for you.

Is there anyway that we can invoke the compile process without entering the editor?

This way we could get the benefit of the compile without taking the memory of the graphics in the editor

what do you think?

Thanks,

Obmanta

So like Alex said Obmanta,

and I don't think Grin will be so forth coming with the christmas goodies....yet, but if a Grin is reading... yes me too.

" I'd like all the information possible on the creation of the various .bin files within the bundle. How they're created, internal organization, etc." Alex.

P.S.

O and if Grin is reading.....

GRAW EDITOR:- IN PROPS

ind_hanger_glass & ind_hanger_glass02 are props from the GRAW EDITOR

with no apparent function. Along with one called Water ???

plz

does anyone know there function ?

Hey Guys,

Sorry I didn't back to the thread so quickly.

My question was really, I there a way to run the compiler frim the DOS command line so that I could compile the maps without loading the editor. I think it would take less memory.

Viiper, I think what we need is a question-answer session so that we could ask various questions about the Editor. I think this would be a great way to learn more and to make better use of the information we have been given by the GRAW guides.

Obviously we need to understand the documents provided to us. ANd from that if their are any questions after the documentation we could ask them.

If Grin_Wille or anyone else from Grin does read this, how would you feel about a question-answer session. It won't be a gripe sessin that is not what I want.

Thanks,

Obmanta

hey, alot of us are on vacation(like myself) for a couple of weeks, its summer!:)(we take turns, not to interrupt the patching, dont worry ;))

but that means that people have less time to answer questions and even more that they might not even have computer accesss or access to the game files which makes it kinda hard.

I dont think you can do it without having the game running tho, as Ive never seen any of our lightmap-machines render witout it running but I could be wrong, dont have the man responsible to ask right now:)

ill forward the question as soon as I get the chance

hey, alot of us are on vacation(like myself) for a couple of weeks, its summer!:)(we take turns, not to interrupt the patching, dont worry ;))

but that means that people have less time to answer questions and even more that they might not even have computer accesss or access to the game files which makes it kinda hard.

I dont think you can do it without having the game running tho, as Ive never seen any of our lightmap-machines render witout it running but I could be wrong, dont have the man responsible to ask right now:)

ill forward the question as soon as I get the chance

Thanks Wille,

An truely thanks to you and all of the Folks at Grin for being so responsive to the whole community. It is like a shot in the arm when you guys answer on here.

Obmanta