Which is better Maya or 3ds Max

Kakanater

From my limited experience, I'd have to say Max simply because that seems to be the way most developers go when it comes down to it. Maya still isn't a bad choice though. If you're just learning to make models, start off with something like Wings 3D until you get the hang of art in a 3D world.

Can't say I have any experience in Maya but from the little I've picked up on from posts in cgtalk.com it seems the raw modeling tools are slightly weaker than those in 3dsm.

Maya however seems to have better tools for animation than what 3dsm has though.

If you are looking for something free of charge that still will do just about everything take a look at Blender, it's open source and can do just about everything that 3dsm and maya can.

you may be able to get a Maya home version to learn on if they still offer that. They did a couple years back, its watermarked or something though and you can't take your project into a full version from what I remember. You could also get a Trial from Max if they're still doing that 30 days thing.

Edited by migryder