[when rendering maps the ground & Bldgs are black]

HandyAndy

Hi Grin...

I wanted to say that some of us... well a lot of us are having issues with the editor. It seems that we do a ton of work. Being careful not to mix props and tiles that are not supposed to be in the map. Being also careful that we have selected day maps, day lighting, day everything!!!!

It appears that when we go to render our maps all the ground and buildings are black. I have even taken the time to carefully place objects in the map and render them in draft about every 20 items to ensure that I am not making mistakes with the tile sets and props etc...

The draft copies look GREAT no black ground/buildings and the props are in the right places with no mistakes...

Now I go to do a full render on Medium with 3 passes.. Which takes about 6-7 hours typically for all the stuff i have painfully placed in it to acheive overall coolness.. of this map. I mean i have probably put about 6-7 days worth of time in this map overall...

So I render it... AND THE GROUND IS BLACK! Some of the buildings are BLACK... SO WHAT IS GOING ON? I have seen this asked several times in the forums on here and other places with no real answer to what the problem is.

I have taken painfull steps into rendering and rerendering it. (ie. removing the lightmap folder so it would create a new one. Leaving the lightmap folder in so it would overwrite it. changing code from a _n to an _d in the xml file. ) Nothing notta zip... same results. But if i render it in draft mode all is well... no problems no issues...

Is it due to some weirdness in the tiles? Did you guys get the same problem when creating your maps for the game? If so what was the problem? What was the solution?

I suppose i could release the map in a draft copy but who wants to play on a draft?

I have asked other sucessful mappers out there and I get the same answer, "I have never had any problems with it. So... I dunno what to tell you."

So, could you please please enlighten us on this issue? I know im not the only frustrated mapper out there who has the same question.

:wall: <----------- I bang my head on the wall in frustration

Thank You SOOOOOOOOOOO Much in advance for answering this question. If I could find a solution to this problem I know a lot of mappers out there would just about bow down and kiss your feet...

HandyAndy

The yellow and blue objects are usualy object that dont belong. Like if at the beginning of making your map you choose industrial as the setting then you need to try and use mostly ind props and such...this is kind of a pain cause not all props are labeled as being specific but sometimes dont work.

if you get black and weird lightmaps you should

1.run the editor in window mode when rendering the lightmaps

2.turn of your screensaver! since the lightmapscalculation use directx, the rendering will get hickuped if the screensaver starts running!

try this!:)

if you get black and weird lightmaps you should

1.run the editor in window mode when rendering the lightmaps

2.turn of your screensaver! since the lightmapscalculation use directx, the rendering will get hickuped if the screensaver starts running!

try this!:)

Well that's just odd... so you don't recommend running anything else that uses directX?

So does running it windowed mode answer this question?

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=392927

So this doesn't have anything to do with texture sets and sky enviroment?

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...st&p=391664

So is this the OFFICIAL solution? or this just another stab in the dark?

Edited by -Corax-

Corax...it sounds like your getting alittle frusterated......I feel your pain man....nothing like exporting for 3 to 5 hours and have it all look like crap.

I too hope we can find the definite answer....i beleive Wille is right about the windowed thing though cause i can export in windowed and never get blackness just sometimes i get the funky blue and yellow checkered objects if they arent suppose to be there. I just hope there is a fix for that in the up and coming patches...cause some of the props that conflict dont have a designation so there is no way for me to know im placing something im not suppose to. I have faith in them though!

Yes I recommend you not to use any other directx apps at the same time as your lightmaps calculation and I do recommend you to not have your screensaver on, as that is most likely using directx. this is what we do in the office.

Ofcourse it may not be a final solution but its definatly not a stab in the dark.Seems like we got a few levels into graw with correct lightmaps, doesnt it?;)

Not sure if this helps any but my screensaver runs and I haven't had any problems with blackness yet (going to turn it off from now on though). Is there anyway that it could be related to computer specs? I guy in my clan is having the same problem (black areas no matter what he does) but his pc can barely run GR:AW. Like I said my screensaver runs and sometimes I will be doing other things on my pc at the same time (move the windowed screen of the editor all the down to the bottom right of my monitor) and I have 2gigs of ram. Anyways just wondering if computer specs might be teh cause.

Not sure if this helps any but my screensaver runs and I haven't had any problems with blackness yet (going to turn it off from now on though). Is there anyway that it could be related to computer specs? I guy in my clan is having the same problem (black areas no matter what he does) but his pc can barely run GR:AW. Like I said my screensaver runs and sometimes I will be doing other things on my pc at the same time (move the windowed screen of the editor all the down to the bottom right of my monitor) and I have 2gigs of ram. Anyways just wondering if computer specs might be teh cause.

the screensaver and fullscreen modes doesnt always cause problems but they do sometimes so its an unnessecary risk :)