Sniper Rifle mod

In the RSB Editor program, when converting a .bmp or .tga file to .rsb it does ask which format you want the rsb to be in (R5G6B5 (16 bits per pixel, 5 red bits, 6 green, 5 blue) and R8B8G8 (24 bits per pixel 8 red, green, and blue)) so I'll try to change that. Also I did the box again and put a model from the OSOK mod (and texture) in my mod folder so I must be exporting wrong. Does anyone have a model that has been used in a mod (in the .max format) that is fully textured and has the helpers so I can export that and see if it works to make sure its not my plug in? When I first installed the plug in from the Island Thunder expansion pack I couldn't open my .rsb files (invalid file header it said) so I replaced the rsb.bmi file and when it asked if I wanted to replace it I noticed that the exact same files were different sizes. I replaced it and it worked, I'll try doing that to the other files as well. And yes, I equipped with my guns and they worked fine (except for the fact that it was invisible).

Edited by Rifle_001

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I did get a model somewhat successfully in the game with much thanks to niccola (I just got the scaling and the helpers wrong) but it kind of looks like this (you may have to copy it to an imaging program and zoom):

ScreenShot1.jpg

so I'm redoing this model (model only sounds and everything look fine) and paying closer attention to hidden edges messing up faces. I'll get back with results soon.

Sure it's hidden edges and not just your export settings?

I've seen similar results ingame from having "weld vertices" ticked in the export settings, for models with a higher polygon count this tend to cause problems with weird gaps appearing and weirdly deformed textures.

Abd I've never had a problem with edges being hidden....so I'd suspect that if this isn't the export settings it might just be overlapping faces instead of an edge problem.

I'm using the same export settings as detailed in the Weapon Exporting tut by Element 11 (http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/export.htm in the bottom pic) so I'll try unchecking the weld vertices option and if that doesn't work then I'll continue remaking the model. And in the last post I said hidden edges, I meant the overlapping faces not edges, I knew something about that didn't seem right. hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I should trust my instincts more. Lottery here I come!

Edited by Rifle_001

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (does laps around the city). I unchecked the weld vertices option and now my model got in perfectly! Also I fixed the problem with creating .rsb files via RSBEditor program so expect more renders and models soon. Also I'm pondering whether or not I should do a short campaign based around eliminating a series of targets with a sniper rifle (though you could just gun him down with an assault rifle, I'll make sure that thats not a good idea :whistle: ). Also I'm thinking about having to eliminate an armored target or maybe even a building (a model of a building treated like a vehicle, only it won't move........ or shoot back) via something like I don't know........... a laser designator( :D )? Yes, I'm sure it can be done, it'll be the same as an AT4 only the projectile will be invisible to make it look like its coming from the sky. Oh yeah, and more damage....... and more accuracy........ and longer range. I think that if I didn't do the campaign or the designator the mod would be the same thing as most other mods you've seen too many times, it would be boring.

Edited by Rifle_001

• 2 months later...

hey, quick question, I'm getting a new computer and pretty much my only option is to get Vista, so will [GR] run on Vista? Also, the AS50 is coming soon, I haven't given up on my mod yet (I just got Halo 3 and BioShock and The Orange Box is on the way so I've been busy).

hey, quick question, I'm getting a new computer and pretty much my only option is to get Vista, so will [GR] run on Vista? Also, the AS50 is coming soon, I haven't given up on my mod yet (I just got Halo 3 and BioShock and The Orange Box is on the way so I've been busy).

GR1 runs fine on Vista Rifle.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Good news! :D .... and bad news :( . Good news is that I finally received my new computer, its quite awesome, vista isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now for the bad news, I can't get my copy of 3ds Max (5) to work. I start the setup, put in my CD Key and Serial Number (I have tried putting nothing in those fields indicating that I want to run the trial version, same problem as below), select what I want to install (I always leave out character studio but I have tried to do the typical install with character studio), then it installs and right before it gets done an error message comes up saying "There has been an unexpected with the license management system. Please contact your system administrator or dealer. Error [436:4:1]" I just ignore it and hit ok it says that 3ds Max 5 was successfully installed and that I should restart my computer. I do and try to run it with the shortcut it provides for me, the splash screen comes up and along with it another error message saying "Error: loading cdilla dll !!" (yes

cdilla dll, not cdilla.dll) I hit ok and yet another error message comes up saying "The software licensing system was unable to select a license. [Error 5]" then closes. I think that it could be my setup file, since it was a digital download and not a physical purchase, so I'm thinking that if I can find a trial version of 3ds Max 5 on the internet I can use my serial number and cd key to activate it. Or, maybe, 3ds Max 5 isn't compatible with Windows Vista. As my friends say, "Ask not what Vista can do for you, but for what you can buy for Vista".

Now for the bad news, I can't get my copy of 3ds Max (5) to work.

Max 9 and max2008 are the only versions that will run an Vista, but you have to DL a patch for 9 from the autodesk site.

Get used to that sort of thing. It's a rude welcome to Vista.

Edited by doubletap

I was searching through the general help files for Vista and I have found a program called the Program Compatibility Wizard that helps older programs work on Vista, I'm going to see if this can help, I'll post my findings soon. Also, I have been considering moving my mod to GRAW 2 (a game I'm much better at) so that I can use Max 9 (or max 2008 if it will work with GRAW 2 modding), but I don't know the limitations of modding on GRAW 2, I'm not sure if you can create weapons, missions, campaigns, characters, campaigns, or any combination of those.

Replying to modding GRAW2 with Max9...

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=47977

Unfortunately the plugins released are only compatible with max 7 and 8, possibly with max 9 aswell but that's no guarantee.

<_<

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44860

---------------------------

Loading DLLs

---------------------------

DLL <D:\[PROGRAMS]\Autodesk\3ds Max 9\PlugIns\maxexporter.dle>

is not made for this version of the program - not loading

Looks like Max 9 is not functioning with the Exporter.

Replying to modding GRAW2 with Max9...

Looks like Max 9 is not functioning with the Exporter.

Tinker this is GR1 :D , yeah you can make it Rifle001, export from 3dsmax9 as .3ds and import in 3dsmax5, then export as .qob using the provided plugin.

:thumbsup:

Edited by niccola

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now that my everything on my computer is up and running, I am going full force on my mod. I have completed the WA2000 and the RRA Pro-Series Elite models and now have only a few models left. I was looking at the ones I had left and decided to take out the Brown Precision Elite and the Italian Beretta because of lack of information and good textures. I am replacing two new weapons in the place of these. However, I am not sure what to put in their place and while I look around I want to know what kind of rifles you all would like to see in Ghost Recon (preferably one that hasn't yet been done in a GR mod).