The great foliage debate

Poita

I've been told recently that GRAW is quite suitable for woodland maps etc.

It may be quite a while before GRIN release any and i suspect they will only be sparse and limited and centered round some open area.

I still wanna see if GRAW can produce something as involved as Villiage or RR BRidge.

If any map modder is experimenting at the moment or has the time could you please create a rough mock up of an area that is just woodland and post some screen shots to give us a sense of what it might look like.

I guess there arn't many bushes and trees etc (called assets right?) but if you can scrape together enough from what are used in the mexico maps it could be nice to see.

Not toooooo dense like a thick jungle but just trees and bushes spread out enough to give us a feel.

Yo duck nice screen shot.

dirty and quick or not it gives a good sense. Some undulation, rocks, gulch's, bushes and grass would be sweet.

So how do you modders go about 'making' assest. Can you draw grass and bushes that dont exist and add em to a pallete of stuff you use?

truth is the editor is very lacking in the objects department - only 2 or 3 grass types with rendering set to about 20 yards maybe 30 so it appears as you run towards it magically.

not many trees, and I believe they all are generated at the same size.

about 1 bush type at the moment.

1 rock shape.

no water.

very few land terrains suitable for woodlands and they all look the same.

basically,my advice - save your money and wait for Crysis 2 and Obsidian Edge 2 - you will get photorealistic woodland maps then.

truth is the editor is very lacking in the objects department - only 2 or 3 grass types with rendering set to about 20 yards maybe 30 so it appears as you run towards it magically.

not many trees, and I believe they all are generated at the same size.

about 1 bush type at the moment.

1 rock shape.

no water.

very few land terrains suitable for woodlands and they all look the same.

basically,my advice - save your money and wait for Crysis 2 and Obsidian Edge 2 - you will get photorealistic woodland maps then.

...it takes 10 min to create them from scratch. The editor is just a map editor to assemble things (but it was made so that everyone can create a new mexican map)

if you really wanna create some advanced map then you need to learn how to use it with 3dsmax (I know it cost money.. and time but the alternative is to wait for a map pack from grin or other modders to have more "lego" pieces to work with..)

Sooo...Digitaly...when are ya gonna release some cool stuff for us map makers to add to the game. Ive been following your progress and things are looking good...I would love to be able to do what you do but unfortunatly the knowlage just isnt there for me...lol

Sooo...Digitaly...when are ya gonna release some cool stuff for us map makers to add to the game. Ive been following your progress and things are looking good...I would love to be able to do what you do but unfortunatly the knowlage just isnt there for me...lol

as soon as they are ready :thumbsup: (I'm not under ubi so I only release finished products :lol: )

I'm tryin to put together a few desert prop so everyone should be able to create "gr1 desert siege" like maps..unfortunately most of the time I'm on a laptop so testing is going slow coz I've to wait the evening to run what I did into the game :wacko:

digi is correct, as most of the campaign in GRAW is not set in woodland areas, not much time was spent to create assets for such an environment(that would be like creating space stations and laser guns, as far as the money-guys are concerned :)

but its very easy to add and distribute such things with a little 3dsmax trickery.

im planning on making jungle type props for a map , it should have about 5 different tree types , 5-10 bush/shrub sets , numerous plants , sea weed , and othr miscellaneous objects . hope to get them done soon , but i;ve had trouble gettin the props from 3ds max to gr : editor , the texture thing is confusing me .

Dimz i implore you to make temperate climte woodland assets instead.

My feeling is that the tropical jungle thing is overdone and people prefer an environment similar to where they live. Most GR type players live in America or Europe were woods and forests are more common.

The jungle trend in games started about three or so years ago. Most of the time i'm in a jungle map though i dont really like the aesthetic of it, also if it's done like real jungle it's to thick and you just see only stuff that is five feet in front of you.

I guess it's my personal taste but i find woods and forests as well as deserts and snowy/mountainous areas to be more beautiful

well i could possibly fit it in to my schedule , but im going for the beach-front into mild jungle with undulating terrain , and advocate guerilla tribe style fighting . if you look at the majority of maps out already , theyre either flatlands with some vehicles and construction junk , or the most dynamic i've seen is 'sneaky badger' with the terrain from another map .

heres the layout of the map im planning , to compliment the assets (foliage ) im planning on starting :

dimz_mesh.jpg

-- it will have a beach and a delta , with grasslands around it , despite the temporary texture . and subsequnetly lead into a foresty jungle with dirt roads and grasslands surrounding .

Edited by Dimz_RR

Not sure, becasue I am not really a map maker (Quake and Some Rainbow stuff way back) But to create ground cover (bushed) could you not sink a tree down in the ground so only the leaves are showing.. just as a temp fix? Not suer how that might look? Just a short term thought?

yes you could , unfortunately , the trees that came with graw are either just palm trees , or kinda fruity looking (like the trees at insertion point of strongpoint )

its a really bad way to handle it.not only would it be aweful on the framerate but it would also look quite horrible. the trees are not meant to be seen that close.

much better to make new custom contents to fill your needs!:)

guys candies will come, but right now my primary objective is to learn all the possibilities of the diesel engine...it's professional hazard, first collect infos, then do the job with the best resources (nope, I'm not an assassin-for-hire :P )

And after release a comprehensive tutorial, step by step, for the noobs like me ^_^

guys candies will come, but right now my primary objective is to learn all the possibilities of the diesel engine...it's professional hazard, first collect infos, then do the job with the best resources (nope, I'm not an assassin-for-hire :P )

And after release a comprehensive tutorial, step by step, for the noobs like me ^_^

umm, and I thought my "how to get props into graw" tutorial was just that..hmm, have you downloaded it?

and dimz, what kind of problems do you have with textures? the tutorial was kinda straight forward on how to import them!:)