Not enough online players :(

In Europe, in the evening there are only 1,2 or 3 domination servers with 20 or more players. Only 50-100 online players for the whole europe looks like a failure for a new game.

My girlfriend likes GRAW and she sometimes plays with my account, but she says there are no players the afternoon. I wanted to offer her GRAW to play online with me, but now I hesitate.

I'll reinstall GR1 on our PCs and I hope there are enough GR1 servers (to choice a server with the rules we like), but this "workaround" is not the one we are waiting for...

Whatever the actual issues are, I think the lack of a big enough online PC community should be the main concern for UBI/GRIN.

(Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my native language)

I am usually on most nights and usually have no issue's with findign a game.. but althought the name suggests Eur.. I am actualyl a canuck...

But dedi files has a little something to do with, as well as some bad press out there.

All I know is I am on until about 1:00 a.m. and it;s peeing me off.. I need my sleep damit.. :o

We "oldschoolers" had lots of GG's without dedicated servers .. hell the first time I played online we had to find ip's in a message board like this one and then put them in to join a game.. and yet we would still fill out games to the max. I have laddered for damn near 10 yrs and the majority wasn't on a dedicated server..

The JAckal' date='Jul 4 2006, 02:40 PM' post='395740']

Without dedicated server files clans can't play clanwars, then GR:AW MP is limited to fun gaming, instead a lot of clans wish to play for ladders/tourneys.

We "oldschoolers" had lots of GG's without dedicated servers .. hell the first time I played online we had to find ip's in a message board like this one and then put them in to join a game.. and yet we would still fill out games to the max. I have laddered for damn near 10 yrs and the majority wasn't on a dedicated server..

The JAckal' date='Jul 4 2006, 02:40 PM' post='395740']

Without dedicated server files clans can't play clanwars, then GR:AW MP is limited to fun gaming, instead a lot of clans wish to play for ladders/tourneys.

The funny thing is, GR didn't have seperate dedicated server files either and people still play on dedicated servers, even after 4 1/2 years. Go figure. :wacko:

Also, the online experience is pretty dire even for the casual player - long load times, no deathcam - its like they've stepped back 6-7 years....

While there are valid reasons posted in this thread for the quiet servers, long load times is pushing it a bit, they are not bad at all IMO. Mind you, after playing BF2 anything seems to load in a flash by comparison :whistle:

I personally am not finding this to be true at all... That could be because we mostly just play Co-Ops? I personally don't know...

We rarely have less than a full server, even with 4 player capability of Co-Ops, and once we are able to have more... I'm sure we will still have enough to fill all the slots without trouble.

It's rare that I see less than 12 in a DOM server... So, people are definitely playing the game. And, from the maps I have seen... Gameplay of more than 16 players in the server is nearly pure chaos.

I maybe wrong, but I believe there are enough players, they are a bit too spread out for how many servers there are currently.

Personally I dont feel that the lack of server files are much of a reason why there are only a few players online. If there was a large demand to play this game, people would play it regardless. If someone really enjoyed the game they wouldnt let the lack of server files be the sole reason why they didnt play the game.

I seriously doubt that adding TDM or Ded support will cause any "dramatic" increase in player numbers. It would be a first if it did. I have never seen a game get even a triple increase in players over a patch. COD2 is a good example of that. The anti-cheat patch only gained about 300 extra avg global players per night. The realisim servers didnt gain any from it.

I`ll say again what ive said before. I doubt we will ever see a time when GR:AW has more than 500 people on the servers at a time. IF that is the case, GR:AW likely will not live to see many or any expanison packs.

There are SEVERAL reasons for this, and dedicated server files are only one.

1. There are no real admin controls (if you can't truly manage a server why bother putting one up?)

2. There is no TDM or other popular MP modes to choose from or that work well in a ladder. I know of many who are waiting for the game to be ladderable (word?).

3. There are no dedicated server files with robust admin controls. Our group would have a server up and running and we would be playing on it if we had what we needed to rent and manage one.

4. The fact that this game was released with an incomplete MP game has a huge impact on the number of players you see online. This can and will change when MP is completed.

There are other reasons, but I think these are the top ones. I think this will change if we get what we need to support a robust online community. We just don't have what it takes, yet.

There are SEVERAL reasons for this, and dedicated server files are only one.

1. There are no real admin controls (if you can't truly manage a server why bother putting one up?)

2. There is no TDM or other popular MP modes to choose from or that work well in a ladder. I know of many who are waiting for the game to be ladderable (word?).

3. There are no dedicated server files with robust admin controls. Our group would have a server up and running and we would be playing on it if we had what we needed to rent and manage one.

4. The fact that this game was released with an incomplete MP game has a huge impact on the number of players you see online. This can and will change when MP is completed.

There are other reasons, but I think these are the top ones. I think this will change if we get what we need to support a robust online community. We just don't have what it takes, yet.

I also believe these are the main reasons why there are so few players. The only thing you missed is the lack of an anti cheat also. All of these things are coming out though from what I have read.

While there are valid reasons posted in this thread for the quiet servers, long load times is pushing it a bit, they are not bad at all IMO. Mind you, after playing BF2 anything seems to load in a flash by comparison :whistle:

Beg to differ with you here, dear boy. Typically it takes around a minute before the screen appears so I can interact with it. This is in the UK with 1.1Mbps joining a UBI server. Compare that with Rvs or CoD2 which I used to play - and that is a long load time.

Lets hope it isn't too late to get some people playing online - I mean look at Lockdown and its 4 or 5 servers left with no-one playing and the forums dead.

I would like a better way of playing Coop online but its getting a little annoying having to host all the time and hang back from the action while others enjoy the fight, die then leave !