Noisy feet

The best thing about GRAW is the sounds. I love them.

I love hearing footsteps etc...

But I would like to suggest to GRIN, to make it so the lighter your weapons kit, the less noise you make moving.

This maybe the case already, I am not sure, but it would be cool if a guy with just a pistol or Mp5 could sneak up on you.

Hmm, I don't know if you would make less noise cuz you change to secondary weapon. You still have the primary on the back.

But if you mean that you would only have a secondary weapon, then again, hmm.

I think he means the more weight you have the noiser and might I add slower you would be. I think there is a slight speed difference if your carring just a pistol then if you are carring a sniper rifle.. but im not 100% sure

Hmm, I don't know if you would make less noise cuz you change to secondary weapon. You still have the primary on the back.

I think he means the more weight you have the noiser and might I add slower you would be. I think there is a slight speed difference if your carring just a pistol then if you are carring a sniper rifle.. but im not 100% sure

In GRAW, Sound is determined by terrain. In shanty there is no quiet spots but in Avenues walk on the sidewalk ;)

Edited by ROCOAFZ

In GRAW, Sound is determined by terrain. In shanty there is no quite spots but in Avenues walk on the sidewalk ;)

95% of all my kills are sound related. I love them when they work or me and hate them when I walk on gravel myself.

Footstep sound should be based on speed at which one moves. If running, your footsteps should be loud. If walking, they should be just barely audible. If creeping, you should not hear a thing.

Partially agree.. they should however be terrain related like they currently. Creeping should be hearable with each step but only within a few feet (like rounding a corner) on gritty terrain like shanty down. There also should be a creep key that makes it harder to do like GR1 had (alt was shuffle) while maintaining a stable gun.

With the size of the maps however and if TDM (LMS) comes into play i think it will have to be very audible or you will spend hours looking for campers.

Anyone else note moving your gun left to right fast makes a sound (wind like). I can pick that up to when stalking a camper if they are moving back in forth aiming. Kudos to GRIN for GREAT SOUND!

One more note on this. Confuse your prey... Don't go in alone. This is a team game. If you take a teammate in with you at the opposite angle it confuses the heck outta the camper and ups the you killing them ratio by 30% as they can't fully track you by sound or they will keep trying to adjust to each person's feet. I've gotten my butt handed to me a few times trying to track the sound when like 3 people enter the zone. It becomes maddening. LOL!

Edited by ROCOAFZ

I must admit I also love the use of sound in this game, not only the ability to hear some run and gunner coming from about three blocks away, but the rasp of the uniform fabrics against each other, and buckles jangling as you shift positions etc.

At the same time it can become irritating if you have to wait for your noisy team mates to stomp past like a heard of elephants before waiting for some quiet to continue.

Also variance of sound and volume dependant on terrain the clump on concrete,the crunch on gravel, and the swish on the grass.

I've even killed one camped enemy who I heard reloading.

Fantastic, a game I often actually mute TS for so I can appreciate the game sound; its goes down better than telling people on TS to "Stick a fork in it".

The cans and cartons on the floor are a beautiful touch, but slightly overdone in my opinion, it seems you really cannot move for the blasted things, even if you take care. But that just adds to the fun.

Fantastic job GRIN.

BA

Edited by BarmyArmy

Footstep sound should be based on speed at which one moves. If running, your footsteps should be loud. If walking, they should be just barely audible. If creeping, you should not hear a thing.

I agree, I mean we are supposed to be playing with the most elite soldiers :o= and their wearing clogs for crying out loud :huh: I would like some stealthyness. :yes:

Near as I can tell, IT IS! Still pretty noticeable when someone tries to sneak around a corner crouching, but then again you don't HAVE to play with the sound turned up to KISS concert levels.

The point about which weight was a good one. On the surface, anyhow. Understand that we're talking about an average-sized Joe, give or take 180 pounds (~81.8KG). Add his body armor (30 lbs, 13.6KG), and you have nearly 100KG of dude already. See where I'm going here? If you want to play a dwarf to keep the weight down and be quiet, I suggest you look into Final Fantasy MCMLXL (or whatever version that crap is up to)...

Again, just my $.02...

We've had the discussion here at the office, whether we should take the realism or gameplay into consideration when it comes to the sounds.

As the sounds are now, I have matched the triggering of sounds exactly to the movement (the animation) of the character:

• if the soldier sets his foot down hard, it produces a harder sound (ie when running)

• if he sets his foot down carefully, it produces a softer sound (ie when walking)
  • if he drags his foot or knee, it produces a a quite loud dragging soung (ie when shuffling on crouch position)
  • if he's crawling, there are both dragging noises and a lot of gloth rustling

It is actually more stealthy to hold the shift key down and "crouch run" instead of "crouch shuffling", because then you put your feet down flat on the surface rather than dragging them along.

This makes shuffling, and crawling, the loudest ways of moving around - despite the fact that someone who keeps a low profile like that probably wants to be unseen and unheard. In reality, someone crawling over a field of gravel makes a lot more noise than someone who walks across. This is a good example of reality and gameplay in conflict.

Even though it goes against reality, do you think shuffling and crawlig should be the most silent forms of moving? Just out of curiosity, do you think I made the wrong decision?

We've had the discussion here at the office, whether we should take the realism or gameplay into consideration when it comes to the sounds.

As the sounds are now, I have matched the triggering of sounds exactly to the movement (the animation) of the character:

• if the soldier sets his foot down hard, it produces a harder sound (ie when running)

• if he sets his foot down carefully, it produces a softer sound (ie when walking)
  • if he drags his foot or knee, it produces a a quite loud dragging soung (ie when shuffling on crouch position)

It is actually more stealthy to hold the shift key down and "crouch run" instead of "crouch shuffling", because then you put your feet down flat on the surface rather than dragging them along.

This makes shuffling, and crawling, the loudest ways of moving around - despite the fact that someone who keeps a low profile like that probably wants to be unseen and unheard. In reality, someone crawling over a field of gravel makes a lot more noise than someone who walks across. This is a good example of reality and gameplay in conflict.

Even though it goes against reality, do you think shuffling and crawlig should be the most silent forms of moving? Just out of curiosity, do you think I made the wrong decision?

I dont think you made a wrong decision or anything. I just think that there should be one more slower pace for all three stances added in. A slower crawl,kneel,walk that produces less sound at closer distances and no sound at longer distances.

In reality you cant hear someone running if they are three blocks away while in the middle of a city with buildings. But, in this game you can. If we could just have a stealth speed added, and add extreme slowness as the penalty I think this particular issue would be easily resolved.

I dont think you made a wrong decision or anything. I just think that there should be one more slower pace for all three stances added in. A slower crawl,kneel,walk that produces less sound at closer distances and no sound at longer distances.

In reality you cant hear someone running if they are three blocks away while in the middle of a city with buildings. But, in this game you can. If we could just have a stealth speed added, and add extreme slowness as the penalty I think this particular issue would be easily resolved.

yup this seems a good solution..a kind of slow-motion

but the question is : is it doable without rewriting the entire game? :blink:

I have to agree that the sounds in the game are exactly the way they should be. Although sometimes pretty loud, I like the way they are done.

It would be nice if you could take the normal walk stance, and have a button to hold down to slow you down even more, to make a more silent walk. It would not be unbalnaced either, as moving to slow could get you killed if your caught with your pants down so to speak.

Many of times I have camped in spot, only to hear a enemy power slide on the other side of the wall. I know he is there, but he has no clue Im there, untill that is I start walking, then he hears the thump of my boots. Suprise is taken away. Having the sneak option would be nice, espeacially if you dont have a teamate near to help you get rid of the problem on the other side of the wall.

Please dont take this as a request. I admit it would be nice to have, but the way the game is now is no game breaker.

Edited by Judge_Recluse

Hehe, this was a nice twist. I remember people complain about 'not being able to shoot while running', and now you want to move even slower? I suppose I agree with you how ever. A stealthy walk would probably be nice :thumbsup:

Edited by Hockeystick

In reality i bet you could hear someone 3 blocks away if they were running. Remember this is a ghost town... no civilians, no noise. Everyone has vacated. I think everyone is basing there sound asumptions off of shanty town which has the loudest walk. No where else do i know can you hear someone 3 blocks away (in shanty it's about a block)

I think the sounds are right on. I use them to confuse the enemy, running back and forth.

First off, if you want sounds to be muffled by objects (buildings, etc), you need to have EAX switched on.

Secondly, my question regarding the sound applies to the game "as is", don't request new walks speeds from me. This is not the kind of thing one would include in a patch - it's quite a big feature, demanding new animations and what not.

Lastly, it's nice to hear you guys are satisfied with my work. Warms my heart.

I spend quite alot of time moving around crouched as that seems to be the quietest way to move.

What does all conflict with this is the weighting that being a moving target versus a stationary target in a shoot out.

If you hear the guy coming and crouch and wait for him gun ready, and he comes round the corner spots you and you both open up , it seems 90% of the time he will actually kill you, which seems seems a little odd. I'm not the only one who as observed this.

But it forces you to break cover and move, making noise....

BA

Edited by BarmyArmy

If you hear the guy coming and crouch and wait for him gun ready, and he comes round the corner spots you and you both open up , it seems 90% of the time he will actually kill you, which seems seems a little odd. I'm not the only one who as observed this.

I do believe it is whoever the server deems as opening up 1st... rather it was even fractions of a ms. Also if they are moving... 1 bullet missing in the barrage puts you in the under. But this is a different issue then the sound all together. What i find more odd is... you both open up and it's like no one take a hit until someone runs out of bullets. (but there is a patch coming that is gonna jerk your ret + add better impact sounds so this may change... right desmond ;) )

Edited by ROCOAFZ

There is no "true" shuffle movement in this game in the classic sense as we've had with the prior Tom Clancy games. I'd love to see this added. It's on my top ten list of wanted new features. See item number 9b of my reply found here for more details.

Edited by Low Profile

No slow motion for me, please. Just tone volume down a little (as it would be in reality).

If you are in a city with many background noises, I think it would be hard to hear a soldier who walks slowly on the other side of the corner. Even if he walks right behind you (I'm not talking about running!), it would be hard to hear him.

And yes, Grin did it right, that shuffling and crawling is louder than walkin. Loudest part should be running b.t.w.

First off, if you want sounds to be muffled by objects (buildings, etc), you need to have EAX switched on.

add the EAX to server options so then its the same for the whole server why would anyone want to put EAX on if it will only make them not hear as well so they are now at a disadvantage... I would rather hte sounds are more realistic for the volume and range at which they are heard ... I will run around shooting at cars hopeing ot set off alarms in order to cover my movement sounds ..

This subject brings to the surface the lack of RECON or Stealth missions in GRAW. In COOP or single play, this type of mission was essential to improve a game's overall quality, into something more than just a Run-and-Shoot silly game.

If i am not mistaken, GRAW will need to undergo some more tech changes with the AI's sound, hearing and vision abilities, before this game can stand up to GR1 quality in this area. As it is, I don't think that stealth aspects of a mission are possible. Please remember that the GHOSTS are Elite Special Ops,.. where stealth movement and pin point assualts are their basic unit characteristics .

For me, most of GR1's best missions ( mods included) are the ones that had both stealth elements as well as some seriously difficult shooting.