DO I even DARE to buy it?

<_<

Greetings all! A newbie to the GRAW community here but not to Tom Clancy games.

I have been doing a lot of research, checking forums, reading minumum specs, running system analysis programs and the like... I'm trying to see if it will be WORTH getting GRAW in the first place.

CPU - Pentium 4 2.8 MHz processor

Memory - 1 GIG of RAM

Operating System - Windows XP

DirectX - DirectX 9.0

Video Card - the biggest problem... 9800 Pro 128 video RAM

Drive Space - 4 GIG

CD-ROM - fine

Sound Card - Audigy 2... should be fine

If I want DECENT frame rates of around 30 what would you advise?

Hey.... one thing... PLEASE don't waste my time saying:

"advise? sure... ditch your card and buy something else." Not an option right now ok?

IF you think I should give it a go... tell me what settings you think I should set it at... game... card... etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. No one likes newbies I know but give me a chance. Thanks guys.

From my experiments, the key reason why this game performs so badly is because of resolution. I did some tweaks in the renderer_settings.xml in the Data/Settings folder, and it detected my video card again.

It had the resolution on 800x600, but damn, was it performing GOOD. It also closely to my previous tweaked .XML, but the tweaked one didn't run as good.

Memory - 1 GIG of RAM

DirectX - DirectX 9.0c

Video Card - 9800 Pro 256 video RAM

Drive Space - 100 GIG

dvd/rw - fine

Sound Card - on board

i get about 30fps and game play`s fine.

What about my 128 RAM? There's no way to upgrade video ram on my card right?! Ugh!

What in game settings do you use?

Edited by cobrabase

128mbs isn't going to be enough... It's going to run laggy... I think if you turn everything off, then the game experience you were hoping to have in the game will not excite you.

Spending the money for a new video card will definitely help you out loads.

Download the demo....

Heh heh.... funny guy... .dial up here.

Your system will run the game. Like everyone else said. It will just have to be all set to low. For comparison. There are people playing the game on a 6600's and 6600GT 128's..

Really? So I'm not THE lamo on the block? Ok. I'd love it if those with a comparable system to mine to post some screen shots.

But seriously man try the demo first.. if you where a BIG fan of the [GR] its very doubtful you will love this game.. And again you will also be completely sure if you can run the game.

Edited by REC0N

But seriously man try the demo first.. if you where a BIG fan of the [GR] its very doubtful you will love this game.. And again you will also be completely sure if you can run the game.

Anyone know who I can talk to to get a burned copy of the demo? I figure about 48 hours straight for me to download it.

The chances of that happening and it not be corrupted are about the same as a series of comets striking every other NFL team in the league but the Chicago Bears allowing them to win the Superbowl again.

I wasn't going to reply until you defamed daaa Beeeaars :angry:

LOL!

I'm playing on MSI 6600 GT 128MB SP and so far, I'm liking the retail over the demo. Must be a video driver itself.

Playing on 800x600 and playing fine. Not sure what fps I'm getting and how smooth the walls and electrical wires, coz I'm too busy managing the AIs and dogging bullets.

If your not convinced in a couple of weeks, I say wait till you upgrade to Crysis/Quake:Uknown Territory-level of specs then buy GRAW at bargain bin price.

Gameplay is where its at. If your more concern on how well it plays, I say get it.

If your more concern on how detailed and awesome it looks, I say save for an upgrade, but buy the game later at lower price.

At your current specs, I'd get HL2:E1 for$17.

Anyone know who I can talk to to get a burned copy of the demo? I figure about 48 hours straight for me to download it.

The chances of that happening and it not be corrupted are about the same as a series of comets striking every other NFL team in the league but the Chicago Bears allowing them to win the Superbowl again.

You may be able to download it at a local library or a friend that has DSL or cable. There's even a chance that you can pickup the demo via a local PC gaming store.

I wasn't going to reply until you defamed daaa Beeeaars :angry:

LOL!

I'm playing on MSI 6600 GT 128MB SP and so far, I'm liking the retail over the demo. Must be a video driver itself.

Playing on 800x600 and playing fine. Not sure what fps I'm getting and how smooth the walls and <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=electrical%20wires" onmouseover="window.status='electrical wires'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">electrical wires</a>, coz I'm too busy managing the AIs and dogging bullets.

If your not convinced in a couple of weeks, I say wait till you upgrade to Crysis/Quake:Uknown Territory-level of specs then buy GRAW at bargain bin price.

Gameplay is where its at. If your more concern on how well it plays, I say get it.

If your more concern on how detailed and awesome it looks, I say save for an upgrade, but buy the game later at lower price.

At your current specs, I'd get HL2:E1 for$17.

Hey man! I'm a native Chicagoan who LOVES the Bears and like all natives I'm critical as to how the greatest team in history has fallen from grace. My wife got me the entire 1985 season on DVD and I have been watching it all Summer. I'm a high school teacher off for two months. I'm used to getting socked for my loyalty to my team. :)

The 800x600 rez doesn't make it unplayable for you? I running Lockdown at CRAZY ; framerates so I'm not sure if I can come down in rez. If you think that the gameplay is good enough to make me see passed the rez then I'm in.

I have tried to find a comparison chart between Nvidia cards and ATI cards but nothing straight away. How does your 6600 stack up to my 9800 Pro with 128? Better, worse, same class... it will help me.

I've already grabbed a copy of Fraps (why the hell didn't I get this earlier?!! great app!) and have been checking out the framerates of my other titles to see if I could stand them at lower speeds.

<_<

Greetings all! A newbie to the GRAW community here but not to Tom Clancy games.

I have been doing a lot of research, checking forums, reading minumum specs, running system analysis programs and the like... I'm trying to see if it will be WORTH getting GRAW in the first place.

Memory - 1 GIG of RAM

DirectX - DirectX 9.0

Video Card - the biggest problem... 9800 Pro 128 video RAM

Drive Space - 4 GIG

CD-ROM - fine

Sound Card - Audigy 2... should be fine

If I want DECENT frame rates of around 30 what would you advise?

Hey.... one thing... PLEASE don't waste my time saying:

"advise? sure... ditch your card and buy something else." Not an option right now ok?

IF you think I should give it a go... tell me what settings you think I should set it at... game... card... etc.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. No one likes newbies I know but give me a chance. Thanks guys.

I have 2.4gig and basically the same setup at you.. I had a 9700PRO 128 meg and ran the game fine at 800x600... I've since changed to an x800xt 256meg and was able to boost it up at bit 1024x768 with no problems.. A few settings are to med of course but the game looks fantastic...

Edited by Stormin

You shouldn't buy this game because you will have many problems with lags. You have too slow PC and video too to play this game smoothly. By other words, you will have low render, 800x600 resolution and 20-30 max FPS. It's not good to play comfortable, especially if you want to play in multyplayer.

Official recommended system requirement has a conservative value.

You should be able to play it at decent-ish frame rate with an 9800pro, have you considered a bit of overclocking on the card (only if you got extra cooling on it though!)

As for the game, i think everyone and their dog was slightly dissapointed with the jaggies at first unless you had a beast of a machine to run it at very high rez, but i can honestly say, that once you get into the game you really dont notice them as you're to busy trying to stay alive.

You should be able to play it at decent-ish frame rate with an 9800pro, have you considered a bit of overclocking on the card (only if you got extra cooling on it though!)

As for the game, i think everyone and their dog was slightly dissapointed with the jaggies at first unless you had a beast of a machine to run it at very high rez, but i can honestly say, that once you get into the game you really dont notice them as you're to busy trying to stay alive.

A. Thanks for being positive

B. Decent frame rates at 800x600 or 1064?

C. I've never thought of over-clocking... isn't the risk that it wears out your card faster? Is it easy to do? What if I had a massive cooling fan installed?

With it on 800x600 were you able to adjust AF and AA to smooth out graphics like power lines or did that just screw your framerates?

I did nothing with the AA or AF.. I left as is.. As far as graphics are concerned, they were fine from the beginning.. No jaggies as some people here have experienced... Framerate is not an issue with me... If it runs smooth, that's all I care about.. And it ran very well with 800x600... I also have the registered ver of FRAPS and have never once used it for GRAW... For me, in past games. FRAPS tends to boggle it down...

With it on 800x600 were you able to adjust AF and AA to smooth out graphics like power lines or did that just screw your framerates?

I did nothing with the AA or AF.. I left as is.. As far as graphics are concerned, they were fine from the beginning.. No jaggies as some people here have experienced... Framerate is not an issue with me... If it runs smooth, that's all I care about.. And it ran very well with 800x600... I also have the registered ver of FRAPS and have never once used it for GRAW... For me, in past games. FRAPS tends to boggle it down...

Seriously? Well... ok. I'll grab it. No bells and whistles for me with my 9800 pro but decent framerates and great gameplay from what I've heard.