Linux Dedicated Server Files

To answer your questions in the order recieved:

No

No

I'm hoping that they can at least tell us if they are going to support different OS's.

If they can't do that, maybe they can at least come up with an unsupported version.

Heck, I'd even love to have an unsupported SADS for Linux over having a supported one for Maggsoft Windbloze w/Internet Exploder!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Windows box that I had to reboot every 3 days... It was running our game server, because thats' the only thing it'd run on. And I have to reboot my web server maybe once a month, that's if I remember to.

Game Server: Windows XP SP2, IIS installed with only FTP active.

Web Server: Mandrake 10, Apache 2.0.53, MySQL 4.1.11, PHP Version 4.3.10 and ProFTPd Version 1.210

Note... windows xp sp2... not a server environment ;) it's a workstation. It's made (XP PRO at least) to handle only 10 concurrent connections. The home edition, only 5.

Check most professional game serving companies... they are using windows 2003 for this reason.

1) you never need to restart Linux except for a kernel update

2) they could have scripted a clearing of the logs or

3) they could have done some better log management (logrotate/logwatch) and mysql tweaking

Lets compare to a windows server

#1 never need to restart unless there is a windows update

#2 Logs can be cleared here also

#3 If people actually watched the IIS logs they could do the dame.

The things you post about happened in older releases such as NT and 2000

They all went by the wayside with 2003 if configured properly. (most missed things are .local for domains that aren't internet based, reverse look up zones for domain controllers)

Lets compare to a windows server

#1 never need to restart unless there is a windows update

#2 Logs can be cleared here also

#3 If people actually watched the IIS logs they could do the dame.

The things you post about happened in older releases such as NT and 2000

They all went by the wayside with 2003 if configured properly. (most missed things are .local for domains that aren't internet based, reverse look up zones for domain controllers)

The nice thing about Linux is that you can update on the fly. No rebooting just for an update, unless it's the main Kernel that's being updated.

Log files are just as easy to check and be cleared as a Windows Platform.

Exactly what you are saying about Windows, I can say about Linux, except for having to reboot for an update which can be done on the fly.

a friend of mine once impressed his boss by being able to upgrade a flaky network driver without anyone losing their connections or noticing.

it was a module, so he just patched and recompiled, then scripted to drop the interface, rmmod'd and insmod'd, and brought the interface back up very quickly and nobody even knew it was gone :)

Edited by feld

The standalone server has no graphics

Do I read correctly? Is it that the standalone server will NOT require a graphics card to run this, or am I totally retarded?

If that's true, then we can all look forward to hosting! :D

Hope that it also doesn't require Direct-X... If it doesn't, then we could easily get it to work on a Linux Box.

a friend of mine once impressed his boss by being able to upgrade a flaky network driver without anyone losing their connections or noticing.

it was a module, so he just patched and recompiled, then scripted to drop the interface, rmmod'd and insmod'd, and brought the interface back up very quickly and nobody even knew it was gone :)

Note he said linux and flaky network driver... yes linux can have quirks ;)

During the recompile if it took effect they should have lost connecting briefly.

You can do that with windows also without rebooting ;)

I'm not trying to bash linux though as it has it's place. Just telling the other side with experience.

my 50 cents:

Whatever ded files there may be, the thing is that a game community needs them if we want to run those servers based on economic matters.

Buying highend graphic cards for ded servers is crap and everybody knows it. A few years ago i was renting Servers(all on linux btw based on stabillity ) myself and they were very expensive to buy.

having said that, i think when no graphics are needed by using the files they may well be run on wine althoe surely all linux favorites prefer them as linux binaries instead of Windows.

Edited by ElChino

my 50 cents:

Whatever ded files there may be, the thing is that a game community needs them if we want to run those servers based on economic matters.

Buying highend graphic cards for ded servers is crap and everybody knows it. A few years ago i was renting Servers(all on linux btw based on stabillity ) myself and they were very expensive to buy.

having said that, i think when no graphics are needed by using the files they may well be run on wine althoe surely all linux favorites prefer them as linux binaries instead of Windows.

Don't need a high end... you can serve with a TI4200 LOL probably about 10$ on ebay. You can't play with this card, but it will let you host, so those who think you need a "high end" to host are INCORRECT I have hosted GRAW with a TI4600, an FX5200 and a 6200 nvidia geforces.

Try it, slap in your old card, load the drivers, and load it up. All the menu's come up. choose internet and create online server... set your server settings, then bingo done!

BTW has anyone even tried hosting with integrated graphics? or is there a check for 128mb cards? Note all the cards i checked with above are 128mb.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

Note... windows xp sp2... not a server environment ;) it's a workstation. It's made (XP PRO at least) to handle only 10 concurrent connections. The home edition, only 5.

The 10 connection limit is built into windows file sharing, not the OS its self. Fire up any application made to handle more connections such as a P2P program and it will work fine.

BTW, they did install a limit of 10 half open TCP connections per XP machine at a time to make it less useful as a DDoS zombie, but since GRAW uses UDP it won't matter.

The buggiest things in XP come up when someone is sitting down using it, as long as no one is messing around with the GRAW server on XP it will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i can add my 25 cents to this topic.

still no news on the ded files ? i would like them to pup op before our lanparty in october because i cant install GRAW onto my dual xeon server because it has no agp slot !

To me it doesnt matter win or linux just let them be dedicated server files :)

To add a remark to the win and linux discussion, i work on a oracle dba, linux/unix systems and oracle based applications. Also do some api en flatfile interfacing developement.

All of our FTP services and jobs on behave of those apllications are done on and from (L)unix except for 1 comming from france and it's working on a win 2000 server env. and that server is giving me headeaches almost every time there are some security patches installed.

Maybe its badly managed by our network or system admins (windows) but thats just what it does: stopping ftp services, stopping scheduled tasks without any clear reasons. My linux/unix services only stop when i shut them down.

And for wine, just find yourself a working version i had some gameservers in the past and got ravenshield working on 1 of them but the only thing that did not work was de game working with PB sadly but that is accounted to how pb was/is developed....

Edited by ElChino

Hey folks! My first post! :)

Does anyone have any more news on this topic?

Personally i think the SADS for linux would be cool! Anyway, i heard through the grapevine that the dedicated server exe requires d3d! :( ! :o= So it wont run under a term on linux.

So my next question, will GRIN/UBI be releasing a Linux binary? Is this something for the future or never gonna happen?

Thanks folks.

Edited by ben0

Has Ubisoft ever released Linux Dedicated server files for any of their games?

Wouldn't get my hopes up...but who knows.

Actually, to answer this truthfully... Yes... There is a Far Cry Linux Server distro. So the answer is yes.

I actually have the Far Cry Linux Dedicate Server files downloaded, but after playing the game with a great amount of disappointment, there is no way I would even want to host Far Cry.

Has Ubisoft ever released Linux Dedicated server files for any of their games?

Wouldn't get my hopes up...but who knows.

Actually, to answer this truthfully... Yes... There is a Far Cry Linux Server distro. So the answer is yes.

I actually have the Far Cry Linux Dedicate Server files downloaded, but after playing the game with a great amount of disappointment, there is no way I would even want to host Far Cry.

Nice post dude, far cry! lol - gives me a little bit of faith though!

Wonder if any GRIN Dev's can confirm a linux dedicated binary? Please..

ben0