Linux Dedicated Server Files

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add my - "I'd love to see these too". :)

At the same time a command line driven dedi for windows has to be first priority, as it will be easier to write ( just throw away the gui from the game code ). :blink::huh:

I have to say I don't realistically expect to see a linux port anytime soon. :(

"Dear Grin-Santa ....."

Edited by BarmyArmy

The clan im in currently has close to 200 members and we support many games across the board, so we have chosen linux as our server type.

I would love to see Linux support as well, because I hate not having a home to play at.

Thanks for bringing this up Angel, so many times I wanted to post this, but never got around to it.

Good point - I'm pretty sure the GSP's would love this as it'll allow them cheaper hosted options for teams who cant afford a full on dedicated box.

Personally speaking, we have found Windows Server OS pretty doggone reliable and inexpensive. Not to start a Windows vs Linux flamefest. Just putting things in perspective. :)

Yup gotta agree there with bonehead.

I have a dedicated Linux computer that is under utilized... It gives me a place where I can run multiple servers... I can set one up for internet play, then another for LAN testing... I'm pretty sure I could do it with a Windows box, but I prefer Linux to handle all my internet server applications such as, but not limited to: Web/FTP server, TeamSpeak server, hosting of stats and other important pages to my squad, and if I could get dedicated linux server files, then the computer won't be as under utilized as it is.

Many other games offer Linux server editions... I can only hope that I'm able to do this with GRAW.

Yup gotta agree there with bonehead.

I have a dedicated Linux computer that is under utilized... It gives me a place where I can run multiple servers... I can set one up for internet play, then another for LAN testing... I'm pretty sure I could do it with a Windows box, but I prefer Linux to handle all my internet server applications such as, but not limited to: Web/FTP server, TeamSpeak server, hosting of stats and other important pages to my squad, and if I could get dedicated linux server files, then the computer won't be as under utilized as it is.

Many other games offer Linux server editions... I can only hope that I'm able to do this with GRAW.

First off thank you for not turning this into a flame fest! :)

We do use Linux, but after being in the hosting biz since 1997, we perfer Windows servers; but definately accomodate customers that request Linux OS.

try http://www.winehq.com/ maybe that'll suit your needs to run GR:AW?

Actually that won't work... It's not developed for games at all... It works for Windows apps like MS Office... I've done a lot to try and get WINE to work with games... it just doesn't work.

Codega is what's used to run the full on games that you can play. But, dedicated linux servers for games runs more effeciently and with a lot less trouble than attempting to get a Windows based API game to work.

Actually that won't work... It's not developed for games at all... It works for Windows apps like MS Office... I've done a lot to try and get WINE to work with games... it just doesn't work.

True, tried it too without success.

I'm hoping that one of the Dev's will let us know if we can expect it or not... I don't think it'd violate the NDA since we know we're getting the dedicated server files already.

I know there will be a windows dedicated server pack, but will there be a Linux dedicated server pack also?

It's not that much of a stretch to let us know if it will be available or not, at least I don't believe it is?

Edited by ToW-Angel

At the moment, no Linux version of the SADS is being made.

I don't know if our SADS will work with Wine, but I see no reason why it shouldn't. The standalone server has no graphics, so perhaps it'll run. I hear Wine's shader2 support is what makes it incompatible with modern games.

I don't know if our SADS will work with Wine, but I see no reason why it shouldn't. The standalone server has no graphics, so perhaps it'll run. I hear Wine's shader2 support is what makes it incompatible with modern games.

Thanks Stickan! Let's hope that they consider it. :)

Ahh darn. Yeah, I would love a Linux server binary.

I *heart* Linux. ;)

Maybe if we all generate enough interest, GRIN will consider it even more! :) Let's all jump on the bandwagon and see if we can get them to develop it! :)

Should be easy for them to do since they have all the code! :)

We ran Tribes: Vengeance using WINE.

Several teams did.

You are right that it isn't really for gaming but it will/can/might work. ;)

Cheers Grin.

Regardless of platform Linux or Windows, NO GRAPHICS on the DS interface please, and if it has to have menus can it have hot keys.

Managing [GR] was just about possible with VNC on a windows box, managing GRAW is impossible with any sort of remote console software.

My linux box runs Ut2k,CSS,Americas Army, and even BF2 servers from a nice simple and secure SSH sessions with script/batch files. Most modern servers support some sort of console that yu can run admins command through in game, removing the need to access the 'servers' console screen.

While I'd love to see linux support I can live without, windows can be a capable server platform.

If you can provide a simple and effective web server management interface like UT2ks that would be the dogs-thing-a-me-bobs.

BA

.... The standalone server has no graphics ....

Edited by BarmyArmy

We ran Tribes: Vengeance using WINE.

Several teams did.

You are right that it isn't really for gaming but it will/can/might work. ;)

Unfortunately it won't work because of all the pixel shading that the game requires... It requires a full windows registery so that it can find the right components of the various DLL's, VXD's and SYS's that are required by a Windows operating environment. I have even attempted to install Windows 98 onto a Linux box using WINE so I could get all the appropriate files without having to attempt to decrypt and then decompress the cab files to get all the right files. The other problem is that the game requires Direct-X 9.0c, and it has to also be able to read the video, which it cannot do.

However, if the SADS works the way they suggest that it will... It may run under WINE... No way of knowing yet, and something I intend on attempting to do. So, we'll see how this turns out.

But, keep in mind that if it is possible to run SADS on Linux, GRIN will probably not support it. So, if something goes wrong and it doesn't work, then we'll be S.O.L.

May be possible to run a dedicated Server without Pixel Shaders and all the registry stuff. Ubi patched Rainbow Six Lockdown´s LockdownDed.exe so it does not require a GA when starting now.

I dont know if GRAW Code will allow this, but if u have the source of some programm, may be u can tweak it a bit :-)

To remember here the core features besides operationg system question for a dedicated gameserver:

- no graphic card checks

- [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] rom checks

- [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] key checks on serversoftware for the server itself, clients ok

- no masterserver accounts, as the server logs to masterserver itself

- ability to run several servers on a single machine

- ability to assign ip and port to each server

- ability to start in commandline assigning config file

- ability to restart round, match and server

- ability to handle ~20 maps in mapcycle

- ability to kick & ban for admins via commandline

- ability to query the server by a script

- free ladder-system so clans can sent stats from their root boxes

Thanks for attention!

:g_withgrin: