Order of static object, props etc... how important?

-Corax-

When you set down an object (i.e. static or small_static) a property is generated in .xml, every object is also assigned 'unit_id' and 'name_id'. If you were to rearrange the order of the units using the unit name descending vs the original order in which they were created... Will this create havoc when generating light maps?

Edited by -Corax-

When you set down an object (i.e. static or small_static) a property is generated in .xml, every object is also assigned 'unit_id' and 'name_id'. If you were to rearrange the order of the units using the unit name descending vs the original order in which they were created... Will this create havoc when generating light maps?

The name_id is more or less only used for campaign maps. The unit_id however is both used by the network syncronization code as well as pointing out which lightmap an object should use. If you change the id you should make sure that no other unit have that id. Don't know if you mean that you would change it in the xml or not, but at the top of the world.xml there is a property called max_id, raising that one number and using that new number for the unit you want to change is the best way. But then ofcourse you need to recalculate the lightmaps.

Don't know if I actually have answered anything but mayby made something clear for ya :grin3:

The name_id is more or less only used for campaign maps. The unit_id however is both used by the network syncronization code as well as pointing out which lightmap an object should use. If you change the id you should make sure that no other unit have that id. Don't know if you mean that you would change it in the xml or not, but at the top of the world.xml there is a property called max_id, raising that one number and using that new number for the unit you want to change is the best way. But then ofcourse you need to recalculate the lightmaps.

Don't know if I actually have answered anything but mayby made something clear for ya :grin3:

I did some reordering in the world.xml file, I sorted the static objects by their unit name. (Easier to find static objects when sorted) Deleted the items I did not need. But for the life of me I didn't resort them according to their unit_id. So as a result I always got funny technicolor everytime I rendered the light map.

It took me a while to solve the issue, I found that the order of the static object's unit_id affects the rendering of the light map. (results unpredictable) My guess was correct; to make the long story short the lightmap rendering require the unit_id to be arranged from the order they were created (sorted them desending according to their unit_id).

:thumbsup: Problem solved... Thanks for the input GRiN... I will have to double check on duplicated unit_id's... perhaps that could be causing odd surface textures for others.

:tv:

Well, i think i figured out why my texture colors were so dark. Dont know why but if i go in and remove the lightmaps from all my map folders then when i export the map my graphics are right. I have tested this to make sure before i posted this. It seems that when you go to export, for some reason it isnt removing all the lightmaps and is causing a conflict.

So the good news is i will have a map out probably in a day or 2, i want my clan to test it before i hand it out. This map is big and it also has a nice sewer system to hang out in.

This map is big and it also has a nice sewer system to hang out in.

LOL!

"Hey ya'll wanna come hang in the sewer with me?"

lol sry just thought that was funny

your map sounds cool though.

hey, watch out so you dont insult the ninja turtles!