Civilians on the battlefield

Hey all, I have a dilemna.

I, being a combat vet, am working with military training sims for a portion of my job duties. A problem I keep hearing from Troops returning from both Iraq & Afghanistan is that the usual training sims they use to get ready for deployment do NOT include anything like "COBs" (Civilians On the Battlefield).

Having played GRAW for a little while now, I certainly do appreciate the realism & fast game play. But, I have a request...

Is there ANY way to introduce non-combatants into mods for GRAW? Ideally, with a tracker that would count how many times a player took out COBs in a roundm, as well as counting the enemy combatants killed--as the game already does?

I know this might be a bridge too far, & if so, please say so. I'm looking for something off-the-shelf that these Soldiers currently training for combat can use to help prep themselves for today's combat arena. Personally, I can see it as something that others, just regular gamers, might wish to see in future mods as well.

Thanks for your time.

I would be shocked if it were not possible to mod in civilians. The taste of modding tools released so far certainly hint at vast possibilities.

That being said, I'm also certain that it's not possible yet, but I know GRIN is close to releasing significantly more tools and documentation, so it can't be too far down the road.

The only thing I personally think may be a struggling point is creating a pseudo-realistic neutral AI. If it's not already coded in somehow (or tweakable to emulate it from existing coding) I can only imagine how difficult it could be to get that into the game.

Of course, I'm not a modder.

Well now somone was able to tweak the ghost AI to make it less aggressive, etc. I think with access to the .dsf scripts, and a sp mission editor non combatants are probably well within our reach.

As for using it as a training tool, while it would be useful to some extent, be really damn sure that the guys using it understand that these civillians, and the enemies for that matter are AI, they are NOT real. I would sure hate to see someone get killed in the field because they were too used to predicting GRAW (or any other) AI.

I, being a combat vet, am working with military training sims for a portion of my job duties. A problem I keep hearing from Troops returning from both Iraq & Afghanistan is that the usual training sims they use to get ready for deployment do NOT include anything like "COBs" (Civilians On the Battlefield).

Having played GRAW for a little while now, I certainly do appreciate the realism & fast game play. But, I have a request...

Is there ANY way to introduce non-combatants into mods for GRAW? Ideally, with a tracker that would count how many times a player took out COBs in a roundm, as well as counting the enemy combatants killed--as the game already does?

I know this might be a bridge too far, & if so, please say so. I'm looking for something off-the-shelf that these Soldiers currently training for combat can use to help prep themselves for today's combat arena. Personally, I can see it as something that others, just regular gamers, might wish to see in future mods as well.

Thanks for your time.

It has been a demand directly from T.C. himself to exclude COBs from the game (that's why Mexico is completely empty except the rebels). Theoretically it shouldn't be that difficult to import civillian models, however as we don't fully understand the game's scripts atm, it'll probably be a lot of work to integrate COBs.

It has been a demand directly from T.C. himself to exclude COBs from the game (that's why Mexico is completely empty except the rebels). Theoretically it shouldn't be that difficult to import civillian models, however as we don't fully understand the game's scripts atm, it'll probably be a lot of work to integrate COBs.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is T.C.? :unsure:

it can be done with the presidents model, he is in civies cloth so it can be skinned different, maybe diff face and voila cob's

(do not give gun and let them walk in circles... like in [GR], script them that way)

don't know how the scripting goes but the skins are not that hard i think

you could also make civies out of other skins by deleting (changing) the mil. pieces like ammo pouches

It has been a demand directly from T.C. himself to exclude COBs from the game (that's why Mexico is completely empty except the rebels).

Source? I've never heard that before. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of Tom Clancy being involved even in the slightest way in any game since Rogue Spear and [GR].

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your time.

Yeah bringing back an old topic...

COBs? Yeah I've been in Iraq too, but the jokers liked to run inside the house, which is probably where you should see them. Unless you want kids running around aimlessly, but that's another thing. However I'd support the idea too, since you go to clear a house, see a move aim.... whoops!