Poor manual and inadequate training mission

I've just been replying to another thread along the lines of GRAW having a poor manual and training mission, so I'd thought I'd start a topic just to see what everyone else thinks.

My thoughts on this are that the manual/training mission are lacking as follows:

- Weapon stats - now this is basic, basic info, GRIN. I don't know one gun from another, but you assume that I do.

- Menu commands - why not list them ALL and EXACTLY what they do? E.g. nothing about the Follow command in the manual - I was expecting them to all line up behind me!

- Drone? A mention would be good at least?

- How to use ALL of the features of the tactical map (What are the rules for using Attack?, M button?)

- Terminology barked out in the videos - BooKoo hostiles, Weapons Free etc. What does it mean? And is it important?

- And who are the people in the videoes? Some background would be good.

The manual needs as much of a patch as the game - and then some.

I find game manuals in general extremely lacking these days, with some exceptions.

[GR] - (?) can't find mine!

Island Thunder - 11 pages

Fear - 12 pages

Hitman is quite a good manual, stretching to 21 pages.

Raven Shield was a bit better at almost 50 pages of details.

Trackmania is a beauty at 70 pages of indepth instructions.

Battlefield2 - an enormous game - manual = meesly 11 pages of instructions.

Lockdown - 16 pages

GR:AW has 11 pages, covering the basics only. There is further official documentation on the cards though, as revealed in the modding forums today.

BTW, I guess this is one reason that Game Guide books are so popular, they fill the holes that game manuals leave.

I stumbled upon a superb game guide publisher this week - Piggyback interactive. The guide they produced for Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2 is awesome.

Edited by Rocky

I find game manuals in general extremely lacking these days, with some exceptions.

Fear - 12 pages

Lockdown - 16 pages

GR:AW has 11 pages, covering the basics only. There is further official documentation on the cards though, as revealed in the modding forums today.

BTW, I guess this is one reason that Game Guide books are so popular, they fill the holes that game manuals leave.

I stumbled upon a superb game guide publisher this week - Piggyback interactive. The guide they produced for Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2 is awesome.

well we really didn't need a manual as it was mostly intuitive, except for a couple of areas of the interface for team mates.

training mission? there was a training mission? how did I miss that?

Edited by Tortfeaser

Grrrr.... Looks like I need to start making those (t)error boxes and/or those posters again, 'cause from some of the recent posts in this forum it looks like the moaners are back on the case. Or I'll have to finish that GRAW rap battle with MC Moaner vs MC Fanboi for the same reason.... :whistle:

I don't understand why people just can't accept what they're given and get on with it.

Edited by WytchDokta

I don't understand why people just can't accept what they're given and get on with it.

What a strange world that would be.

We've moved on from the moaners/fanboys soap opera Wytch, I suggest you do the same, it's gotten very old.

- Weapon stats - I don't care much about the stats, just more weapons would've been nice.

- Menu commands - most important one is COVER

- Drone? Just move em around and they spot enemies as red diamonds

- How to use ALL of the features of the tactical map (What are the rules for using Attack?, M button?) The attack thing I never use because you have to spot an enemy first :(

- Terminology barked out in the videos - BooKoo hostiles, Weapons Free etc. What does it mean? And is it important?

*beaucoup hostiles. French for "many"

Weapons free - shoot whoever you like

- And who are the people in the videoes? Those colonel looking guys with hats I have no idea, but the old guy is your commander.

Fear - 12 pages

Lockdown - 16 pages

And to add to that Falcon 4.0 (yeah yeah I know flight sim whatever) 712 PAGES!!! So which do you want. I agree that there could be better docs or at least a real training mission, but if you have played one shooter they are all basically the same in theory. As far as specs, go here it did wonders for me. Also, why did you start another thread with the same complaints? :wall:

We've moved on from the moaners/fanboys soap opera Wytch, I suggest you do the same, it's gotten very old.

So if you go to a restaurant and the food smells off/tastes foul/whatever, then you don't send it back? I'll bet you are a favorite costumer at a zillion places...

So if you go to a restaurant and the food smells off/tastes foul/whatever, then you don't send it back? I'll bet you are a favorite costumer at a zillion places...

just to respond briefly, a manual or tutorial wasn't really necessary as the interface was fairly close to [GR]. I tell you what I would have liked would have been a tutorial on using team members for their different roles, attack cover, etc.

I would have like MORE interface, I mean with all key commands mapped you only use about 1/2 of the total keys on the board, there is definately room to add more, but then we would need a better manual.....arrrrgggghhhhh it's a never-ending circle.

Here comes the whining again... Need a little cheese with that whine....Dang, how old is this kid??? Manuals are costly... As long as you can bind keys, who needs em?? Most if these games are pretty straight forward... Can you not accept things for what they are???

Edited by Stormin

u ppl seriously need 2 S T F U with the whining bs, if someone thinks the manual is poor and voices his/her opinion on it, it is not whining. it is a paying customer with a complaint. wether you think it is valid or not is irrelevant ...

Edited by CkZWarlord

u ppl seriously need 2 S T F U with the whining bs, if someone thinks the manual is poor and voices his/her opinion on it, it is not whining. it is a paying customer with a complaint. wether you think it is valid or not is irrelevant ...

Agreed.

Also, saying that the manual isn't necessary because the interface is close to GR1 doesn't cut it. Just because most of us here have played GR1 doesn't mean everyone else who bought the game has played it as well; GRAW may have even been the first FPS played by several people, who knows?

Even for those who have played GR1 before, it still looks like a poor manual considering what the original poster pointed out.