Grin extends a mod-friendly hand to you all:)

Wille

Hey guys!

Ive been reading the gr1 one mod forum for a wee bit and noticed that most of you people want to keep on modding gr1 wich is understandable since you been doing it for so long are probably very good at it by now!:)

thats why I would like to ask you what kind of information,tutorial, tools etc you would want to have if you were to start modding GRAW pc .

the first batch of tutorials for how to import objects and props and terrains and textures etc will come out , hopefully in a matter of days, depending on when ubi greenlights them.

They are written by people here at grin and we would like to know what you would like after that in terms of knowledge!:)

anything in special you have been wondering about? The GRAW engine is very easy to mod for and once Nemons script-extractor comes out, there is really no limit with what you can do with. an indoors rainbow six game, your old classic gr1 but with next gen features, or a zombie space shooter if thats your liking..hehe(not very likely if I know the people around ghost recon.net correctly;)

also I would like to remind you that you dont NEED to make things next gen with normal maps etc etc, you can make you standard models and textures just like you are used to but use them in a more advanced environtment that virtually has no limitations once you get the hang of the scripting language and tools.

hopefully we can work together to make you want to mod graw!:)

cheers

wille

Firstly, I would like to thank you guys for being so helpful and open with the modding community.

Must be hard keeping that Grin in place with the some of the posts you've been getting from some people posting on this site.

I would say that the thing that was lacking with GR1 was a full understanding of the modding process.

The level builder pdf was incomplete (one sentence just tailed off to nothingness) and even when you'd read it you were still guessing.

Some of the naming conventions and helper points etc were not fully explained or were discovered by modders through trial and error (or friends on the inside).

Some of the effects had settings that no one really understood

(i could go on and on)

Given that modders want to push the envelope and explore all possibilities I would personally just like to know a little more about the nuts and bolts this time around.

I did have the good fortune to be a latecomer to this (so all the hard work had already been done for me) but it must have been hell for the guys at the start.

Many thanks once again for all your help.

Why not a mod .. GR classic characters vs GRAW characters ..

Or a GRAW MOD for GR1 ?..

Viva La GR 1

:grin1:

Have fun modeling/texturing all the GRAW characters at gr1 specs, or properly baking normal maps from your 2m poly Susan Grey. :thumbsup:

sometimes its hard to know whats not "self explanatory" so I think alot of the process will be you guys looking at things you dont understand, ask questions on the subject and we try to compile those questions and answers into tutorials, so I guess we can wait a few more till the first tutorial pack comes out and then have a little QandA!

yeah, ive been a modder myself and know the frustration so I will do my best to help you guys out!

anything in special you have been wondering about?

Is SP and CO-OP mission / campaign scripting like GR has going to be possible?

well...since I dont know excactly how much I can say about this I will say.. "yes?" but I cant tell you how right now!:) I need to clear it with the big men in suits first!

well...since I dont know excactly how much I can say about this I will say.. "yes?" but I cant tell you how right now!:) I need to clear it with the big men in suits first!

Thanks for the answer. Will be interested to here details on this as it's one aspect that made GR enjoyable for many years and since I only play SP it's a make or break thing for me. :grin1:

The SP and COOP aspects are my biggest concern to begin with. As was mentioned by others already, mission scripting and gametypes similar to GR are where my focus will be as well. We've already seen that Deathmatch type stuff can easily be done by anyone with the tools already released. This probably doesn't answer your inquiry but I think this is where we will be wanting clear tutorials and support.

Here's one, any of the GRIN guys have any experience with modding GR1? , that would be nice to hear from them as to how GRAW relates.

Thanks for the answer. Will be interested to here details on this as it's one aspect that made GR enjoyable for many years and since I only play SP it's a make or break thing for me. :grin1:

yeah im a SP player myself, so I know what you mean!:)

The big question for me is plugins. I don't imagine all of your guys' in house tools are going to be handed out to the modders, but I would assume we're at the very least going to be able to export or convert files from max/maya/xsi, right?

The big question for me is plugins. I don't imagine all of your guys' in house tools are going to be handed out to the modders, but I would assume we're at the very least going to be able to export or convert files from max/maya/xsi, right?

there are already a 3dsmax 7 plugin in the latest patch together with the Atlasgen tool to get textures into the game. withing the next few days , the first batch of tutorials will be released to explain the process on making custom contents! if you look in the graw mapmaking forum you will that a user has already imported both a terrain and a....custom made...tumbleweed, hehe!:)

there are already a 3dsmax 7 plugin in the latest patch together with the Atlasgen tool to get textures into the game. withing the next few days , the first batch of tutorials will be released to explain the process on making custom contents!

Excellent. :thumbsup:

Thnx for info.

:)

Firstly, I would like to thank you guys for being so helpful and open with the modding community.

Must be hard keeping that Grin in place with the some of the posts you've been getting from some people posting on this site.

i second that :)

there are already a 3dsmax 7 plugin in the latest patch together with the Atlasgen tool to get textures into the game. withing the next few days , the first batch of tutorials will be released to explain the process on making custom contents! if you look in the graw mapmaking forum you will that a user has already imported both a terrain and a....custom made...tumbleweed, hehe!:)

will the plugin for 3dsmax 8 be released too? built a cool prop which i wanna import to my map! :D

Firstly thank you GRIN very much for you support to the modding community , it's appreciated by all. :grin1:

One thing i know will help is if we know the polycount restrictions/recommendations for objects like weapons,characters etc. even entire maps.

Also is animation supported, ie can we animate doors or even new characters into the game??

Whether objects use helper points and a list of the various helper points used by the engine.

Also are skyboxes definable, like in GR1, but just higher res textures?

Look forward to getting my mits on your tutorials.

This is like (no, is!) a dream come true. I think i love GRIN :wub:

Here's what I'd like to see Wille:

--start to finish weapon making tutorial. Starting with the models themselves (any special requirments, positions, features etc.), to animations and helper points, to exporting and saving to the GRAW format, to getting the thing working in game. Please.

--start to finish character making totorial. Same as above, but for characters.

did I mention that i think i love GRIN? :wub:

Thanks for asking. :D

Firstly thank you GRIN very much for you support to the modding community , it's appreciated by all. :grin1:

One thing i know will help is if we know the polycount restrictions/recommendations for objects like weapons,characters etc

Should be fairly standard 'nextgen'. I'd guess something like 3-8k characters, 2-6k fpwv weapons would be safe for modding, which never really follows the game's intended restrictions to closely..

Character Rigging / Weapons rigging / vehicles / scripting for everything would be helpfull, and Materials explained.

And advanced usage of the map editor (Specifically I just want to know optmization features... specifically Anti portals if they even exist.)

Edited by Prozac360