VIDEO cards ATI vs. Nvidia

HI all :

1.- QUESTION

What video card are u runing for this game ( ATI chipset or Nvidia chipset ) and how's your performance with this ?

Here is the read me of this game :

1.1. System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Intel or AMD, 2 GHz

Operating System: Windows 2000/XP

Memory: 1024 MB RAM

Disk Space: 4.5 GB

Graphics Card: 128 MB DX9.0c compatible card,

GeForce 6200 or higher

Radeon 9600 or higher

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive : x2 read speed

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Network: High-speed modem with 64 Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a client, 512Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a server on a full game.

Recommended Configuration:

Processor: Intel or AMD 2.8 GHz

Operating System: Windows 2000/XP

Memory: 1024 MB RAM

Disk Space: 4.5 GB

Graphics Card: 256 MB DX9.0c compatible card, <----- :lol:

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive : x2 read speed

DirectX Version: 9.0c

Network: High-Speed Modem with 128 Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a client, 512Kbits of data transfer upload rate for a server on a full game.

Graphics Cards Supported:

Radeon 9600

Radeon 9700

Radeon 9800

Radeon X300

Radeon X600

Radeon X800

Radeon X1600---\

Radeon X1800----} <--------------- This ones with 256 Mb. and 512 Mb. :FIREdevil:

Radeon X1900---/

===============

GeForce 6200---\

GeForce 6600----\

GeForce 6800----/ <--------------- That's it for Nvidia ?!! that's :wacko:

GeForce 7800---/

Cheers

p.s. we posted here because the Tech. nature of this treath , but if u guys feel is not pls. move to an appropiate forum . maybe this will assist ppl. in the next purchase of a video card if they "still planing" to play this game .

im running a sapphire x1800xt 512mb. didnt check fps with fraps, but noticed no severe slowdowns ingame. i would say roughly 30-40 fps (average) with everything maxxed (1280x1024, 16x af). in some locations this could easily go down to 25 fps or up to 80 fps......but don't know for sure.

however i'm in mission "bulldog" right now and did notice a noticable perf.-hit with "edge smoothing" enabled while scoping for the enemy at roadblock 1.

i'd like to see prove as well. :shifty:

It's not out of the question. I'm getting 30-40 at 1024x768 and 50-60 at 800x600 with a 6600GT-128MB, largely because the rest of my system is topnotch and overclocked.

I have a friend getting 60+ on the demo at 1280x960 with a 7800GT.

What drivers you're using, how many of the tweaks you've done, what eye-candy features you're willing to live without, how lean you have your OS/system running, and your processor, mobo, and memory have a lot to do with it, as well. It's not all card.

BTW, don't know if everyone else has experienced this, but AF has almost ZERO impact on my framerates in GR:AW.

It's not out of the question. I'm getting 30-40 at 1024x768 and 50-60 at 800x600 with a 6600GT-128MB, largely because the rest of my system is topnotch and overclocked.

What drivers you're using, how many of the tweaks you've done, what eye-candy features you're willing to live without, how lean you have your OS/system running, and your processor, mobo, and memory have a lot to do with it, as well. It's not all card.

BTW, don't know if everyone else has experienced this, but AF has almost ZERO impact on my framerates in GR:AW.

you can see my specs from my sig. e.g. cpu is not that big factor. i tested that on my lappy and desktop system. i had fraps running once, when i had a fresh install of winxp, all the latest drivers and only graw on my hdd....i never had 65-85 fps with all the eyecandy turned on. iirc i had something like 25-75 fps.

he wrote:

with everything max & edge smoothing @ 1440x900

so he has all the eyecandy turned on. and that with minimal 65 fps? sorry, but i dont believe it....

concerning af: i noticed that as well. i noticed almost no fps difference with af off, 4x, 8x or 16x

i never had 65-85 fps with all the eyecandy turned on. iirc i had something like 25-75 fps.

you can see my specs from my sig. e.g. cpu is not that big factor.

You said you hadn't FRAPSed in one post, but then you said "iirc" above, which sounds like maybe you had. I'm assuming you have and you're not just guessing your framerates.

Anyway, assuming what you say is correct, your rates would make sense with an ATI card. I was just looking at the review of the 7950GX2 at XBitlabs, and while they boned their SLI and Crossfire rigs for the review, I suspect their single card rigs numbers are trustworthy, and here's what it showed:

Framerates at 1024x768:

7900GTX

average -- 79

minimum -- 62

X1900XT

average -- 64

minimum -- 22

Framerates at 1280x960:

7900GTX

average -- 54

minimum -- 34

X1900XT

average -- 47

minimum -- 21

Now, we can look at the average framerates and say that NVidia's topdog is handling the game better than ATI's topdog. However, what's more interesting to me is the massive dropoff from average to minimum for ATI, whereas NVidia's isn't that bad. That indicates to me that there are some serious difficulties for ATI cards with GR:AW. It could also explain why your framerates have a wide range 25-75, while someone with an NVidia card would have a narrower, and slightly higher range, 65-85.

Also, you have one of the best gaming procs on the market, and 2GB of mem at CL2, which I assume means it's running at DDR400. We don't know what his other specs are. If he has the same proc or better, but 2GB of mem at CL3 and DDR550, does GR:AW prefer the tighter timings or higher speed? I don't know for sure, but 2GB is what I have and at 550, and I think I'm getting scorching framerates for a 6600GT. Also, if his proc is overclocked, that could be a factor, not only in the proc speed, but in the fact that his hypertransport would be higher than yours, as well. It helps a little. There's no way I would characterize your proc/system as holding you back, but that's not to say his system and setup isn't giving him extra. Pick up two or three frames per second for two or three different things, and his claim isn't outside the realm of possibility.

All that said, I'm not saying his claim isn't a unlikely. I question it myself. Again, I'm just saying it's not outside the realm of possibility. He might view "everything max" as something different from the rest of us. He also might be giving his frames just from watching the FRAPS number and guessing, and he might be off. Who knows. He might be completely FOC. But for what I get with a 6600GT, 65-85 at that res with a 7900GTX sounds high, but not impossible.

BTW, I'm ordering a 1000 Freakin' Pound Gorilla of a card :whistle: on Friday. Once I have it in next week, I'll post some numbers, maybe a video. I'm hoping to get close to 100 f/s at 1280x960. I can do better than those boys at XBitlabs.

You said you hadn't FRAPSed in one post, but then you said "iirc" above, which sounds like maybe you had. I'm assuming you have and you're not just guessing your framerates.

like i said: i had fraps installed on a fresh install of winxp and graw. i dont know the exact numbers, but the "guessed" 25-75 fps should be a good guess. as for now, i do not have fraps installed anymore, so i cant confirm these numbers at this time.

Again, I'm just saying it's not outside the realm of possibility. He might view "everything max" as something different from the rest of us. He also might be giving his frames just from watching the FRAPS number and guessing, and he might be off. Who knows. He might be completely FOC. But for what I get with a 6600GT, 65-85 at that res with a 7900GTX sounds high, but not impossible.

agreed. :thumbsup: but if his numbers are correct, i'd like to know which tweaks he made.... :shifty::whistle::lol:

So much for my overclocking, i think i gained a couple of fps ahaha! I can get around 105 fps maximum in certain places in the maps/levels of GR:AW at 800x600@85Hz ...overclocked hardware though.

warcloud3mv.th.jpg

im running a 7900gtx with everything max & edge smoothing @ 1440x900 with about 65-80 frames depending on where im at.

Need to see a screenshot man.

That's awesome man, ....if i may ask ....what cpu and memory have you got. My bro inlaw might buy my X1800XT 512mb and i'm thinking of going back to nvidia, i'm interested in the 7900 series.

So much for my overclocking, i think i gained a couple of fps ahaha! I can get around 105 fps maximum in certain places in the maps/levels of GR:AW at 800x600@85Hz ...overclocked hardware though.

warcloud3mv.th.jpg

im running a 7900gtx with everything max & edge smoothing @ 1440x900 with about 65-80 frames depending on where im at.

Need to see a fraps screenshot man.

That's awesome man, ....if i may ask ....what cpu and memory have you got. My bro inlaw might buy my X1800XT 512mb and i'm thinking of going back to nvidia, i'm interested in the 7900 series.

Forget the fraps screenshot man, not interested in nvidia 7900 series upgrade anymore, not worth it to me to be honest, i'm gonna wait till mid/late 2007 and maybe go win vista and DX10 graphics card.

Mainboard

Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H (nForce 590 SLI)

Processor

AMD64 Athlon FX-62

Graphics Cards

GeForce 7900 GT 256MB

GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB

GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB (SLI)

GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB NVIDIA Reference

GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB XFX (XXX edition)

Memory

2048 MB (2x1024MB) DDR2 - CM2X1024-8500C5 at 5-5-5-15

Power Supply Unit

SilverStone 750 Watt Zeus ST75 (Quad SLI ready)

Monitor

2x Dell 2405FPW - up-to 1920x1200

OS related Software

Windows XP Professional SP2

DirectX 9.0c End User Runtime March update

NVIDIA ForceWare 91.29 beta

NVIDIA nForce 500 platform driver 9.34

Guru 3D ...."we have every possible bell & whistle enabled but it is quite shocking to see a game taking such a hefty toll on this not exactly cheap gaming rig".

GeForce 7950 GX2 reference and XFX,

....well i'm not that impressed tbh. http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/353/12/

I don't think I've ever seen my FPS dip below 40ish (except during huge explosions and what not, but that's due to my CPU I think) with everything maxed out at 1280x1024 rez and 8xAF on my 7900GTX.

Edit: Ok, taken directly from a benchmark with FRAPS

Min FPS - 37

Avg FPS - 48

Max FPS - 72

This was done in the beginning of the mission VIP 2 Down!

Edited by Nutlink

just finished "norad on the line" yesterday. this is one of the more demanding missions graphics-whise. even the x1800xt had probs keeeping the fps steady above 30fps.... :ph34r:

Yeah, I bought the MSI x1800xt basically for this game. I was expecting very high FPS because the rest of my system is fairly high performance in my opinion. It has actually disappointed me a little, though. For 300 bucks I expected a little more. Oh well, I'll blame it on GR:AW being inefficient. :shifty:

edit: At what point can the human eye no longer detect improved framerates? Obviously any fps above the refresh rate of the monitor is undetectable, but I'm pretty sure for the human eye/brain it's even lower than that.

At what point can the human eye no longer detect improved framerates? Obviously any fps above the refresh rate of the monitor is undetectable, but I'm pretty sure for the human eye/brain it's even lower than that.

Common (but flawed) responses to this question often have it down between 25 and 35 frames/second because that's down around what film and video need to run at to produce fluid motion, depending on the tech.

The problem with that is that when you're filming something in motion, there is a little blur in each and every frame, so the blur works to create the illusion of fluidity. With computer games, there is no real motion blur rendered in the frames (not yet anyway, DX10 supposedly will open this up), so without motion blur in the piciture, it's actually around 60 frames per second where you get the illusion of perfectly fluid motion. Of course, if your average framerates are about 60, you will certainly experience dips into a range where it's no longer perfectly fluid, so if you want perfectly fluid 99% of the time, you're going to want your average framerates up around 100 f/s.

That said, most of us enjoy games without perfect fluidity, and most hardware people say 25-35 f/s is acceptable, though I would add that with GR:AW, some people in that range are experiencing mouselag.

just set up x64 Windows on my rig:

3.4 P4 Prescott Intel

1024x2 DDR2-800 Corsair

x850 256/12pp Asus w/Catalyst 6.6 x64

all of the above are running at stock clocks.

my HDD is IDE! ...doesn't seem to matter.

i've tried forcing high quality textures for all objects, 16x AF and all options to high. worked great at 1024x768, i was getting from 25 to 50 fps, no major stuttering. in an empty DM server a steady 40. of course, i can't play adversarial MP with frames like that...

so this is how i usually play:

800x600@100Hz

all texure_managed set to true.

all texture_quality set to low, except characters set to high.

dynamic lights, shadows set to low.

AF set to trilinear.

CCC is set up for highest performance.

Ageia drivers never installed.

EDIT: yea, almost forgot... Post Effects OFF!

so... are you ready?

playing DM with lots of people: 50 to 80+ FPS. too bad there is no NVG with PE disabled... i basically don't play DM because of the night map...

playing Domination in nearly full servers: 40 to 70+ FPS. i mean it'll dip to 40 when i'm in the middle of Warehouses and everyone is spamming GL's, but other than that i'd say i'm able to keep it right under 60 for the most part.

my only problem is the frequent crashing under x64. i'm lucky if i get to play 2-3 games in a row. hopefully a future update will resolve this...

Edited by th33f.

my only problem is the frequent crashing under x64. i'm lucky if i get to play 2-3 games in a row. hopefully a future update will resolve this...

Why are you sure it's X64? I actually asked about this once, and other people using x64 said they had no GR:AW related issues at all.