Destroyable doors

larocket83

Can doors be composed of multiple destroyable objects that are grouped together, so I can give the effect of blowing a hole through a door, without destroying the entire door? I could test this easily, but I'm at work right now and I was wondering this, and wont be able to test it till later tonight. I guess I just can't wait to find out. :) Maybe someone has done this before, but I havent heard of it. Thanks in advance.

-1_<n><door>mydoor

-O helperpoint

-1_<n><dyn>doorpart1

-1_<n><dyn>doorpart2

...etc

Yeah, I already know that you can kill through a door and destroy doors, but I want to know if the engine can handle a door that is made up of destroyable parts. You guys are answering my question from more of a gameplay standpoint as opposed to a modding standpoint.

It appears that the answer to the question is no, unfortunately. Exported from 3dsm fine with no errors, but as soon as the level loaded in GR, it crashed to desktop. :( Ill continue to toy with it, but it looks like its not going to work.

I'm not understanding the specifics of what you want it to do. If you could clarify I'm sure that I can help. I need example of the situations and what you want the results to be, all of them.

ie. part 1 destroyed by bullet shot, part 2 still there then part 2 destroyed by hitting it afterward if need be, etc.

In most cases I would think it would be possible though except for collision issues and that would be the tricky part to work around and get it acceptable for gameplay.

I think you understand what I'm trying to do. All I want is a door made of several, lets say 5 different pieces. So, instead of the entire door being destroyed after it takes a certain number of hits, only the part that has been shot gets destroyed.

Lets say there is a piece in the middle and I shoot it enough until there is a hole in the middle of the door, but the rest remains, and the remaining door is still functional. So, I could shoot through the hole into the other room, if there were someone on the other side...

But yes, I can see how there could be some huge collision issues. I can't believe no one has tried this before, with all the maps that have been made by some pretty hardcore modders... Anyway, I'm going to keep at it until I'm convinced it's impossible.

I would say that more than likely it isn't possible exactly how you want to do it.

The easiest alternative would be to just make regular destroyable pieces that look like a door but won't open and animate like a door. You could easily pass through once you shot out all of the pieces though. The AI would have some issues with this, is the big downside.

I think I got in way over my head on this one. I've typed and deleted about 10 different ways to approach this, each with their downsides. Basically I keep running myself into a circle and it hurts my brain. If you'd like to throw some ideas out, i'd be glad to offer advice before you attempt them(save you some time maybe). That's the only thing I think I can do at this point. I can't think of a way to do it the way you want, sorry. I think it's going to be a major compromise to get something to at least give a similar effect and even then you'd have minor issues.

**I do recall someone mentioning a door with a destructible glass window in it. If this was ever actually created, then it may after all be possible. This may have been the same situation as you have brought up and may have been deemed impossible then, I really can't recall.

Edited by sleeper

I think it can be done but I'm not sure.

The problem that may arise is that only one part of the door opens while the others won't, I'm not sure though, so it's worth a try.

- Create the door as you want it to be.

- Create a helperpoint and copy it as much as you want to have individual destroyable pieces, all positioned on the exact spot.

- Carve the door into destroyable pieces.

- Treat each piece as it was an individual door, each with it's own helperpoint but on the exact location like the rest and tag it.

I think it can be done but I'm not sure.

The problem that may arise is that only one part of the door opens while the others won't, I'm not sure though, so it's worth a try.

- Create the door as you want it to be.

- Create a helperpoint and copy it as much as you want to have individual destroyable pieces, all positioned on the exact spot.

- Carve the door into destroyable pieces.

- Treat each piece as it was an individual door, each with it's own helperpoint but on the exact location like the rest and tag it.

This is basically what I was going to post earlier but...the problem you mentioned is exactly what will happen. When you open the door it will more than likely open the part that the crosshair is aligned with. One example of how this works is when you have a set of double doors. If you "aim" for the center of them they can be opened both at the same time, if you don't aim dead center only the closest one will open. The other example is when you have a door that contains an alpha channeled texture and for some reason you must aim at the visible area of the "door". My conclusion is that a door will open according to where your crosshair is aimed, although I do think that i've opened doors while standing sideways, so who knows really. This shouldn't really be all that time consuming to test out.

@Tinker-A stable door as you mentioned should work fine, you will just have trouble with AI opening and closing it and they can get stuck there as well.

the problem you mentioned is exactly what will happen. When you open the door it will more than likely open the part that the crosshair is aligned with.

Yeah, I guess that won't work.

Putting multiple dyns into one door wouldn't work either as the combined objects are conscidered as one object when the destruction takes part.

@Tinker-A stable door as you mentioned should work fine, you will just have trouble with AI opening and closing it and they can get stuck there as well.

Thnx for reply.

Idea was if a tango inside building gets alerted, he moves to door. When 2 meters away open top door, give AI hold cover plan.

New plan would be assault, open bottom door and plan him to run out?

hehe just thoughts.

Interesting topic though, good luck with destructions.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but since you cant group dynamic objects (ie. Glass and doors), then the glass would not be part of the door, and the door would move, but the glass wouldnt. It would be just chillin in mid air when the door is open. and if you attach the glass to the door, the glass willnot work properly, and if you group them together the game will crash. This is why i think thaty this situation isnt possible.