I have so tried to enjoy GRAW but….

It’s just not a fun game to play. (I’m talking mainly the SP here)

I bought it without checking out the demo first (hey, it’s GR1 – just like the game I know and love) – installed and played.

But it is just no fun to play at all.

For starters, there is absolutely no background info or help from the manual, and no real help from the Cross-com video instructions in the ‘training mission’ either (BooKoo hostiles? – what the hell is that? You are weapons free? – what the hell does that mean? Plus loads of other meaningless jargon being shouted at you. And who are these people who appear in the videos?)

So I joined the forums, read the threads, got disillusioned and so I uninstalled. Then, I heard that a patch had come out so re-installed and tried again…

But still, it is just no fun. I’ve played RVS and SWAT4 and had no problems at all, but this game is just a chore. Fed up of being shot out of nowhere; fed up of starting from the same point all the time. Fed up of dumb team AI and lethal enemy AI.

Sorry its so negative, but games are meant to be fun. And this just aint.

Yes GRIN - its that simple. This game is just no fun to play.

Edited by OliverReed

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought it without checking out the demo first (hey, it’s GR1 – just like the game I know and love) – installed and played.

For starters, there is absolutely no background info or help from the manual, and no real help from the Cross-com video instructions in the ‘training mission’ either (BooKoo hostiles? – what the hell is that? You are weapons free? – what the hell does that mean? Plus loads of other meaningless jargon being shouted at you. And who are these people who appear in the videos?)

So I joined the forums, read the threads, got disillusioned and so I uninstalled. Then, I heard that a patch had come out so re-installed and tried again…

But still, it is just no fun. I’ve played RVS and SWAT4 and had no problems at all, but this game is just a chore. Fed up of being shot out of nowhere; fed up of starting from the same point all the time. Fed up of dumb team AI and lethal enemy AI.

:huh: ... :lol: ... :rofl:

Nothing to add except;

BooKoo hostiles? – what the hell is that? You are weapons free? – what the hell does that mean?

Beaucoup. It means 'alot'. I guess you need to have seen some Vietnam movies to get it.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that the Americans speak French as part of their military jibber-jabber?

They don't even know where French is!

Edited by OliverReed

Sorry its so negative
Your points are valid though not all would agree with you. Getting through SP in GRAW requires a serious commitment to learning (and becoming expert in) the use of the tactical map and your AI squadmates. And some people, with alot of time on their hands, have done just that. I tell people either to become an "expert" at it or don't waste your time with SP. I don't use my AI well and it's aggravating.

But I don't take all the blame. One poke at GRAW here: the documentation and first mission tutorial are the most inadequate that I've seen in a game in a long time.

But then again, alot of people aren't into GRAW for the SP. I pretty much gave up on SP gaming after getting halfway through HL2 and finding it boring. Not really on-topic but have you tried MP in GRAW or other games? I used to be a total SP snob but I got gently introduced to the world of MP through VietCong co-op. It was like a whole nother gaming world opened up for me. Personally, I think it's tough to get through the SP campaign of any game these days.

Bookoo is probably a slang-ized version of the way that people in SE Asia say beaucoup (alot) due to the long occupation of that area by the French.

Yes GRIN - its that simple. This game is just no fun to play.

I know right?!! I sware to god every time I'm in that chopper listening to those annoying morons over the cross-com video I'm like "SHUT THE FREAK UP!!" I felt like taking out my pistol and forcing the pilot to turn around to go back to base.

Then I would walk into that office and while the two idiots (especially the geek general in the glasses) are STILL cackling their orders, POW POW two bullets in their temples. I'm sure the support staff in their offices would cry in appreciation. "omg thank you!!!" *support staff sobs for joy* :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Seriously though, the cross com video briefings are very very cheesy and unnecessary. And I feel its a left over from the console versions because it gives the mission a very console feel.

Gawd, I can just imagine how that would go over with real soldiers if thats supposed to be a preview of things to come. I can see spec-op teams turning their huds off during a mission easy.

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Sorry its so negative
Your points are valid though not all would agree with you. Getting through SP in GRAW requires a serious commitment to learning (and becoming expert in) the use of the tactical map and your AI squadmates. And some people, with alot of time on their hands, have done just that. I tell people either to become an "expert" at it or don't waste your time with SP. I don't use my AI well and it's aggravating.

But I don't take all the blame. One poke at GRAW here: the documentation and first mission tutorial are the most inadequate that I've seen in a game in a long time.

But then again, alot of people aren't into GRAW for the SP. I pretty much gave up on SP gaming after getting halfway through HL2 and finding it boring. Not really on-topic but have you tried MP in GRAW or other games? I used to be a total SP snob but I got gently introduced to the world of MP through VietCong co-op. It was like a whole nother gaming world opened up for me. Personally, I think it's tough to get through the SP campaign of any game these days.

Bookoo is probably a slang-ized version of the way that people in SE Asia say beaucoup (alot) due to the long occupation of that area by the French.

Your points are well made and yes, I have to agree with you. A serious commitment (and patience) is required - but there is a limit, and the semi-casual gamer such as myself will get frustrated and disenchanted fairly quickly if results aren't forthcoming - especially if I've chosen the 'Easy' level....

I have tried the MP - even though my methodology has always been to master the SP first before trying the MP (so as not to make a complete ###### of myself in MP!). But again, I was disappointed. Domination is okay - and I can have a fair run when I play. But Co-op is a joke. I joined one Mayday! Mayday! mission only to watch engine parts fall from the skies while the leader requested an airstrike.

Team Deathmatch is what everyone wants - but I'd still like to be able to get through SP just to learn all the waepons that were avaialble and have a play before entering MP.

So, still negative I'm afraid :-)

LOL

You mean FRANCE!

Nope - you missed the irony there, my american cousin....

LOL dude, flee quickly before you make more of a poophole (stupid swearing filter :wacko: ) out of yourself. French is all over the world, France lies in Europe and can't really be missed on the map...

Nope - you missed the irony there, my shoulder-to-shoulder american cousin...

So, heading for an unistall again... 'cos its just no fun to play

Edited by OliverReed

LOL dude, flee quickly before you make more of a poophole (stupid swearing filter :wacko: ) out of yourself. French is all over the world, France lies in Europe and can't really be missed on the map...

A very small mistake, and this small mistake, has it seems, amused a very small mind, feel proud... something is really working in there :rofl:

I really don't see what you complaining about? you main point seems to be your do not understand what to do or what the terms they use mean? They use terms that the military uses perhaps? I havn't been in the military and I understood everything they said and told me to do.

"I'm tired of being shot from no where"

"fed up of starting from the same point all the time."

"Fed up of dumb team AI and lethal enemy AI."

"I bought it without checking out the demo first (hey, it’s GR1 – just like the game I know and love) – installed and played."

- In GR1, the problems you listed exsisted already..., the AI from GR1 is no where as good (in my opinion) as GRAW'S enemey AI and Allies.

-Being shot from no where? You mean you were shot by someone you dind't see? That happend in GR1 to me all the time! How could you say you loved GR1 and have never felt the "shot from no where" feeling. Its much more worse in GR1 because your camera goes insane when your shot so you can't even identify it properly (unless you are experienced).

-Starting from the same point all the time? You mean you want quick saves in SP? Perhaps~ I really didn't mind since Dying ment that the enemies got reshuffled in different positions. Quick saves would eliminate the Shuffling of enemy positions...

Well, if you don't like the game, sorry to here that! Alot of people were turned off GR1 until they sat down and tried to understand how it works rather than going with their own mindset on how it is suppose to work. :thumbsup:

Edited by XenoSoft

Have you played any arcade-like-games like Oblivion or BF2 right before playing GRAW? Then I can understand your frustration. Before I got GRAW I was busy playing Oblivion and when I finaly played GRAW I totally sucked! Died all the time and lost 1 or 2 members on the first 3 missions. I was a n00b when it came to tactics but now I must say that I'm pretty good at it :D

Just give it some time and give alot of coverorders to your team :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ahh, just read XenoSofts post, he seems to know what I mean :D

Edited by Hockeystick

A very small mistake, and this small mistake, has it seems, amused a very small mind, feel proud... something is really working in there :rofl:

It's not a small mistake, it's a stupid mistake. And because the guy makes a stupid mistake and I just point out where France (and not French) is it makes me have a small mind? How about you go play with the traffic? Rush hour is a good time for it, buddy...

Nope - you missed the irony there, my shoulder-to-shoulder american cousin...

Firstly, don't insult me by calling me an American... I'm not, and proud of it...

Secondly... I didn't miss the irony, it just isn't there. If you mean sarcasm, thats not there either, it's just stupid.

Edited by CkZWarlord

yes.graw has a high learning curve.maybe a bit TOO steep even.but when you understand the game and understand the AI the SP experience can be incredible, especially on certain levels(the first half of quarterback is my favourite part in the game I think), I must have played that like 20 times before I managed to finish the whole level.

and dont get me started on playing 4 people in coop.

ım just saying ...mission 2 going around a corner, and the entire office heard me scream "TAAAAANK" at the top of my lungs, ,clenching my eyes shut in panic and hit the deck(in the game not in the office. that was a GREAT session:)

but if you dont like it.If you dont want to spend the time with it, its really you that is missing out on a great gaming experience.Because its there, just its just hidden under a wee layer of what I like to call depth.

but then again, maybe im biased.

and yes, the game HAS flaws, it has bugs, but seriously, most of the things that some of you call bugs arent really bugs, just things that you expected to be in a diffrent way

there are alot of REAL bugs too tho, like all games.but it will be mended in time.

hopefully together we can mod it so that it pleases as many as possible in the end

(when I say together, I mean YOU mod and we assist in the way we can of tutorials and feedback)

also. I hate the narcoms.I _hate_ them.so atleast we have that in common!

party on wayne!party on garth!

and yes, the game HAS flaws, it has bugs, but seriously, most of the things that some of you call bugs arent really bugs, just things that you expected to be in a diffrent way

Well, not to be a poophole (I swear, I hate that filter more by the minute lol), but as most of the people here are long time GR players and well, you could suppose that due to our long activity in GR that we do sorta have a "bug" when things don't function in GR way (Not as in GR1 way but more like when it doesn't feel "Ghost Recony" lol)?

Being a GR1 BIG Fan, but also having:

GR:AW

9MS setting up a GR:AW section

9MS Jonesey working hard on modding...

I like the game.

It`s not GR1 but it does have a lot of potential, and i look forward to the modders contributions.

My opinion is too many people jump straight into multiplayer, with no experience of single player and end up running and gunning, getting killed, then coming here and complaining.

A group effort over time will put most things right.

Tinker

:shifty:

Nothing to add except;

BooKoo hostiles? – what the hell is that? You are weapons free? – what the hell does that mean?

Beaucoup. It means 'alot'. I guess you need to have seen some Vietnam movies to get it.

Full Metal Jacket:

I think 1 guy said he was too BooKoo for a certain lady!

OliverReed we hear ya man .

In GR1 honestly when we used to suddenly get shot from nowhere........ (like u knew they were sniping you) , It makes you jump from ur seat , and say WOW !!OH MAN!!! dammm, HOLICOW!! that smarts ! that was a cool sensation ! that was FUN !! that's the main felling in a "virtual battlefield , in a game", that was GR 1 , this "game" LACKS of that , its "diferent" . NO MOD will get or give this old feeling , the game was not mean to be like that , PERIOD.

sorry to read u spend ur money in a product that is not finish and didn't deliver what was promised , they try...... but , but they miss for a LOOONg SHOT, they knew about this for long time, I posted several times about "That performance ISSUE" , well here it is the NAKED TRUTH this game just DONT HAVE IT !! this game has to be MOD ALL COMPLETE to be more o less enjoyable , but ......LOL better re-Developed , JESSS LOCKDOWN have better Graphics than this game!! :wacko: (its gonna get patched by the way)lol , but seriously OLIVER REED next time check the demos :) those will give you a parameter to follow .

Honestly GRIN and UBI just lost it........ this time the Priorities of a great game were made :wacko: Grin ppl. were in this forums before released , exchanging or posting words .

But at the end here's the result .

Great gaming experinece??? hiding were?? bugs that are not bugs??! :wacko:

What's the big deal in a COOP with 4 ppl??!! cmon. .....20 times ??! learning curve??

ohh jesss.

UBI This community will appreciate a "release of a tutorial" and a SDK .

Oliver Reed they will try to patch this game as far they can , but they lack of manpower and resources , so try to enjoy as much you can this "product" meanwhile the mod.communitty put something together or better learn how to doit or change the game you play.

Thanks UBI to try this time we wait for GR 4 (as we call it now) , that Studio u choose this time :thumbsup:

Cheers

p.s sorry for my grammar or spelling , as english is not my first lenguaje. UBI guy thnks.

Edited by Cuchillo*

Well I'm an "ugly American" that likes the SP of GRAW, and will like it even better once a mission editor is hashed out.

Now for the geography lesson: France is where Americans bury their dead when they are forced to end European wars. Sorry, could'nt stop myself!

Now for the geography lesson: France is where Americans bury their dead when they are forced to end European wars. Sorry, could'nt stop myself!

^^ ... better if above comment was not made, IMHO :angry:

I really didn't mind since Dying ment that the enemies got reshuffled in different positions. Quick saves would eliminate the Shuffling of enemy positions...

Is this really true?... For me, the enemy in GRAW always comes back exactly the same. This is one of my usual complaints. It greatly reduces the replayability of any mission. As I see, the GRAW enemy AI are scripted without any random occurance. This is also normal in GR1 and in all games that I know except for SWAT. In GR1, it was possible to create new mod missions with an enemy working with new random actions defined within certain areas. Maybe the GR modders will be able to do this with GRAW, once we start making our own missions???!!