Editing existing Maps possible heres how.

uZeal

Ive figured out a way to edit existing maps in the game the actual process isnt that hard. So far I've successfully loaded dm02 and mission06 inside the editor. The funny thing is the crosscom popped up while in the editor :rofl: and they guy was giving some sort of mission directive. mission06 loaded but it was pretty choppy due to how big it was. But anyway here is how you can do the same thing.

1. First thing is open up quick.bundle or patch.bundle depending on if you want original maps or the new dm maps. Go to the levels folder find the folder for the map you want and extract it.

2. In your custom_levels folder Make a work folder if there isnt one already, if you have made a map there should be one.

3. make a folder with anyname you want, I reccommend the same name as the folder you extracted, and in this folder make a folder named "xml".

4. In the folder you extracted find the xml folder and then find "ambient_cubes.bin" and "massunit.bin" and copy these over to the xml folder you just created.

5. Copy the "world.xml" file over to the "mission06" folder, Im just using this as an example since it was one I did. After ward rename the file to "world_0.xml" this is important.

6. Now you just need 2 more files and these just be premade for you if you have already made a map. "zones.xml" and "description.xml" copy and paste these into the "mission06" folder of your map. Afterward go inside the description.xml file and change the name to "mission06" or whatever you prefer I recommend keeping it the same as your folder names. You can make the mode deathmatch or domination i dont think it matters. If you havn't made a map before goto 7.

7. Make a new text file in your "mission06" folder and inside place this :

<zones>

<borders tl="-10000 10000 5000" br="10000 -10000 5000"/>

</zones>

then save the folder as "zones.xml" without the parenthesis. Then make another text file in the same location and inside paste this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<description>

<menu name="mission06" mode="Deathmatch" />

<level>

<set value="city"/>

<set_graffiti value="0"/>

<backdrop_cube value="atlas_mission_spec_editor/backdrop_cube_d"/>

<cube value="atlas_mission_specific/mission01_specific/cube"/>

</level>

<export>

<export_name value="mission06"/>

<gametype value="Deathmatch"/>

<lightmaps value="false"/>

<lightmap_resolution value="medium"/>

<lightmap_num_passes value="3"/>

</export>

</description>

save the file as "description.xml" again without the parenthesis. Oh yeah and change the "mission06" that you see twice in the file to whatever map your doing"

That its your done, it takes all of a couple of minutes and you can edit any existing map in the game. I havnt really tested any map but I dont see why it shouldnt work.

edit: here are some shots oh yeah and I forgot to mention that it takes a good couple of minutes to load the map in the editor at least the missions.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by uZeal

yes mate, i figgered it out afew days ago, but i did it a different way. i simply used the DEbundler to access the existing files. then i just used the "world.xml" data and copied the .XML info into a blank map i already created then saved the output file whatever name. much simpler way of doing it.

yes mate, i figgered it out afew days ago, but i did it a different way. i simply used the DEbundler to access the existing files. then i just used the "world.xml" data and copied the .XML info into a blank map i already created then saved the output file whatever name. much simpler way of doing it.

I had suspected that the other files werent really necessary. Im not sure what you gain by including the other files.. perhaps nothing im not sure but I do think its possible to even add to this if the lightmaps are found for the level they could be added to the work folder to make it so you dont have to recalculate the lightmaps if for some reason you wanted to play the map after you edited something.

I havent' been here for a while (other things to do) but before I rush to my PC and try edit some misions, I have one burning question: will I be able to change the enemies paths (and / or add / remove enemy soldiers) and stuff like that or can I only place or remove objects?

An answer to this will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by PeeWee678

The editor currently does not have the ability to create single player or co-op missions. All this will allow us to do is create multiplayer maps based upon existing maps, possibly including single player maps.

Wonder if it's possible to use the blown up embassy area from VIP2 is down. I'mma have to check that out.

Edit: Confirmed. Using either of these methods, we can create MP versions of the SP maps (or sections of those maps) Unfortunately for my particular idea, the embassy only shows up as the non-destroyed version.

Edited by TedSmith