Ghost Recon.net Forums

ok so i been messing with this map for sometime.

but i have an issue every time i export it i either get total darkness with a glowing gun either blue,red green, or purple. or i get some dark and some light textures. i am not sure what i am doing wrong but i am sure it is me.

Example:

idontknow.JPG

i know how to cange the sky and move it with arrows am i setting it wrong or am i doing something else. Or maybe i am not doing something else.

if it is the sky how do you know if you have it set right?

i am using all ind statics and props.

any help please!!!

the problem cud be that u might have used a different set then the 1 that u originally picked, e.g. u picked industrial but used historical. If thats not the case then i cant quiet help u there, maybe try exporting it again, try on draft detail to save some time to test it.

Good Luck

I've had this problem happen as well. Maybe the surface has no light that ever hits it in the radiosity process. Try adding more buildings around it or alot of land around it for the sub surface scattering to bounce light to the surface (or some poo :) )

I had trouble with my lightmaps too. Decided to export my level on high detail with 5 passes. Still I had stuff going on with the shadows that wasn't quite right. Really dark in some places and such.

A different level I also had the red guns and some different props were also red - and a whole boulder was completely missing!

Yeah, this really kind stinks cause you really dont know till you have gone thru the time of exporting it. I keep trying but get know where. I made a really cool sewer map. I would say about 75% of it was sewer tunnels but alas the lighting is all messed up. We really need some kind of extensive tutorial or this thing made easier. I think im gonna hold of on trying anymore cause ive wasted 2 days making a map just to have it all dark...and yes it was set to day time.

well i just been making a v2 of my map since the first didnt work. So i get this problem, i played around with the sky, and it was ok again. So the problem seems to be with the lighting come from the sky setting the post effects.

I also had that problem, i think the cause is the sky type you choose. So try an other sky and it might work better, but thats my theory.

I choosed the sky of Mission 12 and i had this problem, then i choosed MP 05, then all was ok...

But note that if i used sky of Mission 12 with Draft mode it worked good, but no shadow arround the map....

Edited by Attila

i propose a solution ...

instead of making a map and then realizing you spent 3+ hours rendering it and be all sad and junk , make a nub render it !

that way you revise while the initiial build renders and not sit there like a duck and wait for the problems to arrise . just my 2 cents .

Edited by Dimz_RR

I tried to recreate the problem today by using some of the same units as you but I couldnt get it to boink out:/ its really hard to say what it could be!

also

"not sit there like a duck and wait for the problems to arrise"

ahhahaha, that almost made me fall of my chair, maybe its my weird artist-imagination but that sentence gave me the weirdest pictures in my head...in a good way ofcourse! :rofl::rofl:

Does anyone have specific notes on what keys on your keyboard does what? Also..what the use of ambiant, lighting, normal and theres one more but cant think of it. The main reason im asking is because i think im missing something here...options i dont know about and stuff like that. Ive made a couple maps but get the same thing everytime. Real dark even though it is set to day.

Couple of other questions. When i export...do i have lightmaps on? Whats the difference between the missions that i can choose to make it? What about graphiti..whats that? This is why i need a tutorial or something...lol

Edited by }PW{ Postal

Here is the result of my today export test,

Test 1

Sky: MP01, medium, 3 passes.

graw20060627190957205mg.th.jpg

Test 2:

Sky MP05, Low, 1 passes

graw20060627212621060jn.th.jpg

that's clearly a weird problem

Those 2 other were took with (if i remember correctly)

Sky: Mission 12, low, 3 pass.

graw20060626112135678cb.th.jpg

graw20060626112030933te.th.jpg

I had similar problem with this other map, but changing the sky fixed it as you can see

graw20060624125519398yt.th.jpg

Edited by Attila

ok a possible cause, i know this causes blackness, and maybe it has in your case -

when laying staitc objects you have to make sure that you dont lay down a staitc object like ground, and then return later and drop another static object on it, typically a building.

in your mind, you might be thinking, "yeh ill lay this building on this piece of grass or dirt ive just put down", BUT IT WONT WORK. IT CREATES THE CONFLICT IM REFERRING TO PREVIOUSLY.

What you have to do is place ALL of your STATIC objects side by side, NOT on top of eachother!! So you have to plan a little more where you will place items before you build, OR you will have to go back later if you want to ADD another static object to a place where you ALREADY have a STATIC object like land placed, and remove the STATIC land, add the new object, and use STATIC filler terrain around the unfilled areas.

Sound complicated? Its not really....

Now, while those of you who understand what Im saying may already know this as I did, it is still easy to accidentally drop a STATIC object on a STATIC terrain object, because in your mind you're thinking "yeh, i can chuck a building on this piece of dirt"...but you can't.

ill stop there...PM if you need some more advice.

btw, I have a sweet map in the works, but my Video Card just shat itself and I cant finish it yet.

Haha I know the problem!! :D Or maybe not...

I've had the same problem but in SP. All the shadows where extremely black, way to black and all the buildings far away had large black sqares on them.

I had changed the graphic's through the renderer_settings.xml file from medium to high, even though my gfx-card really couldn't handle high graphic's. The result was large black squares everywhere and way to dark shadows.

To solve this I changed the 'buildings', 'ground' and 'sihouetts' back to medium in the xml file.

If you have a 512 Mbt gfx-card then this is probably not your problem. :)

ok a possible cause, i know this causes blackness, and maybe it has in your case -

when laying staitc objects you have to make sure that you dont lay down a staitc object like ground, and then return later and drop another static object on it, typically a building.

in your mind, you might be thinking, "yeh ill lay this building on this piece of grass or dirt ive just put down", BUT IT WONT WORK. IT CREATES THE CONFLICT IM REFERRING TO PREVIOUSLY.

What you have to do is place ALL of your STATIC objects side by side, NOT on top of eachother!! So you have to plan a little more where you will place items before you build, OR you will have to go back later if you want to ADD another static object to a place where you ALREADY have a STATIC object like land placed, and remove the STATIC land, add the new object, and use STATIC filler terrain around the unfilled areas.

Sound complicated? Its not really....

Now, while those of you who understand what Im saying may already know this as I did, it is still easy to accidentally drop a STATIC object on a STATIC terrain object, because in your mind you're thinking "yeh, i can chuck a building on this piece of dirt"...but you can't.

ill stop there...PM if you need some more advice.

btw, I have a sweet map in the works, but my Video Card just shat itself and I cant finish it yet.

I noticed that problem, but that does not seem to be the same problem than what i got, since i basicaly created that map flat and no square are over each other, when i make the map i took care of that aspect, and that also does not explain the color of dynamic object... like this.

tmp49346kl.th.jpg

When i first exported the map, all was ok, but since, i added prop, dynamic stuff, etc, making the map look more natural, those problem appeared... So it might have to do with prop, but i have some doubt... if Grin_Wille want my map, i got a back up of the map with those setting

Sky: MP01, medium, 3 passes.

So if he want it, i can give him, and tell us what might cause that, what i did wrong or good to get that lightmap problem

I've gotten into the habit of blowing away the lightmaps folder between renders and haven't encountered this problem. I don't see why you should have to, but it's helped a few people. It might have something to do with not fully regenerating lightmaps between passes, and if you change the sky from night to day everything might still be using the lightmaps it generated for night.... pure speculation at this point, but I haven't had that error since <knocks on wood>.

I've gotten into the habit of blowing away the lightmaps folder between renders and haven't encountered this problem. I don't see why you should have to, but it's helped a few people. It might have something to do with not fully regenerating lightmaps between passes, and if you change the sky from night to day everything might still be using the lightmaps it generated for night.... pure speculation at this point, but I haven't had that error since <knocks on wood>.

i deleted the lightmaps folder once, but it was more a random move then a thinked move, i will try that.

Maybe the editor don't delete the lightmap already exported and then that create some conflict