Adjusting Sound Volume

Is there a way to lower the volume of the actor in the mission brief? And raise the sound level of the weapons? I'll assume it's in the Data/sound folder.

The audio of the narcom messages are "baked" into the video files, and it is therefore treated differently from all other audio in the game. You can't raise or lower the volume of the narcom messages with standard methods - you'd have to raise or lower the volume of everything else in order to make the sound of the narcom come across as louder or more quiet. Quite a hassle, I know.

Regarding the sounds of the weapons - are you talking about yoru own weapon, or the weapons carried by NPCs (other characters)? If you think the sound of your own weapon is too low, I would actually guess you have some kind of messed up sound settings, hardware wise. Make sure you don't have headphones connected but 5.1 signals coming out of your system, or the other way around.

I have a hard time believing someone would like the 1st person weapon sounds to be any louder than they are (with correct sound setup, they are pretty darn loud), and I don't even think it's possible to raise the volume of them because they're already maxed out, both the amplitude values of the original .wav-file, and in the gain treatment in the software sound system.

However, if you want other people's weapons to be louder, I think you can hack that if you find the right parameters. I think you'll have to do it individually for each weapon though, which is kind of messy - at least if you have the ambition of balancing them. It'll become a big job tweaking the values, start the game and see if the new values are good, exit the game, tweak the values, and do it all over again until you're satisfied. I've done this eight hours a day for a year (ok, it wasn't my only task in GRAW, but you get the drift), and it's a tricky thing getting it right.

But, as I said in the beginning; if you really think the audio mix is messed up, it might be your hardware settings. It might be worth it checking that out first, before diving into the sea of XML values.

if you really think the audio mix is messed up, it might be your hardware settings.

Desmond22 (if you return to this post...), about a sound balancing issue -Can it be so that the '1.16 patch updated hit sounds' are drowned by other sounds?

I think the sound of being hit should 'override' any sounds as it is extremely important for the game immersion (and also a substitute for pain or 'being chocked').

All we wish for is a noticeable distinct thud possibly combined with an occational moan or so (like it exists in SP) that allerts you of taking a hit...

Check feedback here about 1.16 hit sounds here:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36589

So far there is no player that has reported any noticable difference, which suggests there seem to be problem with this feature in the patch rather than our hardware...

(there is feedback also in this thread http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...4323&st=105 which I know you've considered, ty.

Yes we are aware that our work on the hit sound somehow slipped the patch. Me and the programmer I worked with got the hit sounds to be really loud, and we submitted our code changes to be incorporated in the patch - but when the patch was released people started to post about the hit sounds and how they were still missing. We're looking into this issue, and hopefully we'll have it fixed until the next patch.

This thread was, however, not about the hit sounds, but the overall mix of the game (the OP wanted to raise the volume of the weapon, and lower the volume of the narcom messages).

• 2 months later...

Is there is no way to specifically change the NARCOM volume / audio. I have the sound maxed and it is still much too quiet compared to anything else. I checked the XML and the only ref was NARCOM was in the group tag, no volume attributes obvious that I was hoping for. Any suggestions would be great because I'd like to hear the mission briefings...

how to I unpack the sound files to add my own sounds? I want to change the pathetic explosion sounds to something much better I have here.

Don't know if you've seen this but it might help.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38326

You might want to rephase your question if you are looking for help from the devs who post here.

Just a thought.