A cheat or a bug?

Just a few moments ago, while playing on a clan server, I witnessed one of the clan members do something that was either very buggy, or very much a cheat; he knelt, raised his sniper rifle to take out a rooftop sniper, and fired what appeared to be a continuous stream of bullets out of this sniper rifle. When he stopped firing, it was terminated with a puff of smoke and the boom one normally associates with a bolt-action sniper rifle.

I really enjoy playing on this unnamed server and would never make accusations about its owners without feeling absolutely sure there was something fishy going on. The play has always been smart, sportsmanlike, and I personally have never been killed in a way that struck me as at all suspicious.

I did notice quite a bit of lagginess/glitchiness occuring, i.e. people running in place, getting stuck on objects and treadmilling, etc., which I've never seen in excessive amounts prior on this server. I also assume that this player was a legitimate clan member, as there were numerous members on and he was not being accused of smurfing.

So, is this something anyone's been able to attribute to a bug, maybe something to do with the laginess? I also found myself kicked repeatedly, either for an invalid CD-Key or for "files not matching the server." I have not modded my install in any way, not opened the .xml files, etc. The only thing I've done is to uninstall Physx, entirely. I'm assuming these problems are due to the patch, as I haven't had them before.

There is no question about what I saw; I'm hoping it's a bug of some kind, and not the (more likely and much more disappointing) possibility that what I thought was a good clan is a haven for cheaters.

TBH it sounds like lag more than anything else. Ive been in GR1 with bad lag issues & been volleyed by about 1000 bullets wih an almighty boom as all of the packets get processed in one hit.

Sounds similar to what you have here :thumbsup:

I'm very glad to hear this is a possibility. What made me think otherwise was that when the full-auto "stream" came out of his sniper rifle, it was accompanied by an appropriate sound effect. The fact of the matter is, the player's score wasn't good enough that round to suggest a cheat was working on his behalf, and I have not witnessed anything similar since, on the server.

While on comms with a clan, I heard that one of the players was shooting his glock auto, and it sounded appropriate on his comms background noise. However, other players watching him were reporting that he had a sniper rifle out and autofiring it. This was just before the recent patch.

This could be a bug. Or it could be the inadvertent result of a cheat. And this might be the same issue you were talking about. I'm really curious about this because it could be one of those telltale signs of hacking. As a Teamwarfare admin, and longtime GR replay/cheat reviewer for TWL and TCZ, I'm hoping this gives us a tool to find idiots. But obviously we need to confirm this before we go witchhunting...!

So anyone, please post if you have seen, heard, or replicated anything such as this. And if its a bug, hopefully GRIN will get it cleaned up with time.

p.s. Dis-Arch, plz check your pm on here.

I've seen this as well.

Except he wasn't kneeling or anything, he was running around shooting people with the sniper rifle.

The rate of fire it was going at, was about the same speed as the LMG.

Can't ever think of the name, the m249 variant.

Anyways, he kept going around, not even scoping in.

I finally killed him and said, nice sniper rifle there eh?

And he left.

It definately wasn't lag, since our pings were the normal 80-150.

Which is border line feasible.

(It's kinda hard/sad to say such a thing, since I normally don't even consider joining any other kind of server with a ping over 65 :P)

Everything was going smooth as well.

He killed our whole team up close and I saw every bullet hit that missed.

Happened after the patch came out I believe.

Edited by SillyHalfMexican

Just a few moments ago, while playing on a clan server, I witnessed one of the clan members do something that was either very buggy, or very much a cheat; he knelt, raised his sniper rifle to take out a rooftop sniper, and fired what appeared to be a continuous stream of bullets out of this sniper rifle. When he stopped firing, it was terminated with a puff of smoke and the boom one normally associates with a bolt-action sniper rifle.

I really enjoy playing on this unnamed server and would never make accusations about its owners without feeling absolutely sure there was something fishy going on. The play has always been smart, sportsmanlike, and I personally have never been killed in a way that struck me as at all suspicious.

I did notice quite a bit of lagginess/glitchiness occuring, i.e. people running in place, getting stuck on objects and treadmilling, etc., which I've never seen in excessive amounts prior on this server. I also assume that this player was a legitimate clan member, as there were numerous members on and he was not being accused of smurfing.

So, is this something anyone's been able to attribute to a bug, maybe something to do with the laginess? I also found myself kicked repeatedly, either for an invalid CD-Key or for "files not matching the server." I have not modded my install in any way, not opened the .xml files, etc. The only thing I've done is to uninstall Physx, entirely. I'm assuming these problems are due to the patch, as I haven't had them before.

There is no question about what I saw; I'm hoping it's a bug of some kind, and not the (more likely and much more disappointing) possibility that what I thought was a good clan is a haven for cheaters.

Well if it was the clan that this poster was from (see link), then it probably wasn't lag.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36457

Well if it was the clan that this poster was from (see link), then it probably wasn't lag.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36457

It's members like you spreading rumours that get threads locked & players angry

"Payback" I could say your a total looser but I'm not going too, when you post you need to think, because your attitude sucks just like your point. I hope a GRnet admin sees this thread and locks it down, you promote rule breaking by quoting threads that have been locked for rule breaking.

READ THE RULES PAYACK [and yes i'm breaking them too, answering your immature post].

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

I wanted to post an update to this, so I started another thread in the Tech Section. I found out the truth about it.

This is a bug, and the word about this should be spread. It's gotten tons of people calling cheat when it isn't (unless a cheat mimics the effects), and thus taints the integrity of the game.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36677

Payback I am so tired of your insinuations I am goint to write Rocky and ask that you be removed from these forums it is totally immature and wrong to accuse a group of people inm cheating especially when yuou have no idea that it is or isnt true,

To be honest I think that most of the men that jumped on that band wagon would have a ###### fit if they saw their kids acting that way. Yet anything competitive can bring out the worst in people. But your continued accusations even after the moderators told everyone in the thread that this was to stop as it was so out of place is a total disrespect for not just my server but these boards and their authority. Apparantly you cant read or just think it is ok to go against what they requested of you.

I hope that someone slanders your daughter the way you continue to slander us

I have no interest in making up these accusations cost our server traffic and they are false and for him to constantly pick at something he knows nothing about is totally wrong the fact that these posts even exsist on this forum is wrong they should have been removed and there should have been a public apology for slandering our name.

But your right about the daughter thing I will retract that.

I have to say this got my attention a few times as well. I have noticed on countless times players being behind a building, pointing a sniper rifle straight in the air and firing. I never knew what the person was firing at because I was about 50 yards away and could not see the target. Not saying it is anything but again, it does not appear as thought they are shooting a specific target???

Edited by IrishStout