Is the DLC a Fair Value?

bravo 2 zero666

I think the achievement points for GRAW are messed up!

stuff like world champion just shouldnt be in there because hardly any people will get it and even if you did you get measly points for it.

theres too many achievements and not enough points to go round for each one.

could smeone from RSE explain why 1-3 only gets 2 points? its bugging me.

thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha :hehe: How cool would that be to have an Odyssey as a downloadable custom car for PGR/NFS/Ridge Racer LOL

@Gav - the new Odyssey lets you fold all the rear seats into the floor, so you won't need to add extra seats down the road ;) The Touring model with the onboard DVD player and GPS will cost a premium though ...

Back to the current questions:

1. Why does GRAW have 925 pts vs 1000?

2. Why was mission #3 in Chapter 1 worth only 2 pts?

3. Why are there no pts for Chapter 2 missions?

While I can understand there being a cap on pts (looks like it is 1000 pts) on a game at launch - it does not make sense that content that you pay for can not increase the # of pts available for a title.

Like there are times to be critical there are times to be positive. I'm playing the new maps since a few days and I have to say that the new maps are absolutely quality maps. Nice and big with plenty of alternative routes and plenty of cover. I also like that there are quite a few objects and buildings with stairs that actually let you walk on them.

Like there are times to be critical there are times to be positive. I'm playing the new maps since a few days and I have to say that the new maps are absolutely quality maps. Nice and big with plenty of alternative routes and plenty of cover. I also like that there are quite a few objects and buildings with stairs that actually let you walk on them.

To each his own. It's not worth my $15, both as a financial matter and as a matter of principle. I don't want to pay for something I don't use. I don't play coop so I don't want to pay for it. I also don't care much for the "relit" maps. Ditto guns and skins that are mainly for looks and of little practical value.

I also don't want to encourage Ubi to further divide the community. This DLC prevents friends who have the DLC from hosting those who don't. Ubi/RSE built this game this way either purposely to try to force the community into buying expensive DLC or through ineptitude. Either way, I will not encourage them to do this again by buying the DLC.

@Hamilton just in case you didn't know it the 4 new co-op maps can afcourse also be played in team/solo games not only co-op. And I'm really having alot of fun with blind siege which also is included in the package. But if you go back a few pages you can see that I'm also critical on the high price and some other things of the dlc.

I also don't want to encourage Ubi to further divide the community. This DLC prevents friends who have the DLC from hosting those who don't. Ubi/RSE built this game this way either purposely to try to force the community into buying expensive DLC or through ineptitude.

I also have my thoughts that this was done on purpose by releasing the game with less mp maps than normally and than charging us in case we want extra maps. But about this dividing the community I see what you try to say, but can't they ever ask money for content at all than? I think the answer is that they should simply have reasonable prices so that there are no people like you and me (for like a week :unsure: ) that won't buy it out of principles.

Other DLC has been primarily maps ( I am thinking CoD here) and a person could join a room wiithout having the DLC even if the host did and play until one of th enew maps was chosen.

In the case of GRAW you have the new maps, as well as kit restrictions, camo and weapons. I suspect that the ability for the host to twaek servers settings down to individual weapons is part of the reason why non DLC players can not join a room hosted by those with DLC. For instance I could host temple but have canadian camo and the silenced SR25 picked.

So I think the inabilty of those without DLC to join a room is based more on the fact that the DLC was more than just maps combined with the host's ability to tweak server settings for camuo and individual weapons.

I think "uninteneded consequences" may be a fairer description then "ineptitude" because I don't really see how they could manage having players without DLC in DLC rooms with the new gametypes, camos, and weapons ... let alone maps. Even if the host chose all rpe DLC settings but did not restrict the new weapons you would have players choosing themwhich could create issues - woudl a DLC player choosing the SR25 SD create an issue playing in a room where other players did not have the DLC??

So I think that GRAW DLC (if it includes weapons, gametypes camo etc) will pose a problem in terms of those without being able to join a host that has it.

When (IF) we see chapter 3 it will be interestign to see what it contains and the price point. I am also interested in the "missing" 75 pts ... will they reappear? Was it assumed that DLC could include acheivementsbut that turned out not to be the case? It would seem that since the secondary objectives in chapter 2 do not impact the score they were meant to measure a "Perfect Chapter" acheivement ....

Other DLC has been primarily maps ( I am thinking CoD here) and a person could join a room wiithout having the DLC even if the host did and play until one of th enew maps was chosen.

In the case of GRAW you have the new maps, as well as kit restrictions, camo and weapons. I suspect that the ability for the host to twaek servers settings down to individual weapons is part of the reason why non DLC players can not join a room hosted by those with DLC. For instance I could host temple but have canadian camo and the silenced SR25 picked.

So I think the inabilty of those without DLC to join a room is based more on the fact that the DLC was more than just maps combined with the host's ability to tweak server settings for camuo and individual weapons.

I think "uninteneded consequences" may be a fairer description then "ineptitude" because I don't really see how they could manage having players without DLC in DLC rooms with the new gametypes, camos, and weapons ... let alone maps. Even if the host chose all rpe DLC settings but did not restrict the new weapons you would have players choosing themwhich could create issues - woudl a DLC player choosing the SR25 SD create an issue playing in a room where other players did not have the DLC??

So I think that GRAW DLC (if it includes weapons, gametypes camo etc) will pose a problem in terms of those without being able to join a host that has it.

When (IF) we see chapter 3 it will be interestign to see what it contains and the price point. I am also interested in the "missing" 75 pts ... will they reappear? Was it assumed that DLC could include acheivementsbut that turned out not to be the case? It would seem that since the secondary objectives in chapter 2 do not impact the score they were meant to measure a "Perfect Chapter" acheivement ....

Not to stir up trouble but what's it matter where those "missing" 75 points are? Hell most of the points that I don't have on GRAW are unattainable because I don't play ranked matches and refuse to even try for them. To me it's missing more than 75 points but then again I'm not really that worried about my gamerscore. :o

Sounds like some points are going to be added with the next update.

I agree that a bunch of them are unattainable and in general I don't care much about gamerscore (as evidenced by my lack of points ;) ..). It just seemed strange to me that the game launched with less than 1000 but when we got Chapter 2 there were no points associated with the missions as there had been in chapter 1. Add to that that the "score" (again I would not normally pay attention to the score but we were trying to figure out a Coop Tournament format) for completing missions did not reflect whether or not the secondary objectives had been acheived seemed to indicate that pts had been planned for the Chapter 2 missions.

Sounds like some points are going to be added with the next update.

I agree that a bunch of them are unattainable and in general I don't care much about gamerscore (as evidenced by my lack of points ;) ..). It just seemed strange to me that the game launched with less than 1000 but when we got Chapter 2 there were no points associated with the missions as there had been in chapter 1. Add to that that the "score" (again I would not normally pay attention to the score but we were trying to figure out a Coop Tournament format) for completing missions did not reflect whether or not the secondary objectives had been acheived seemed to indicate that pts had been planned for the Chapter 2 missions.

Yeah I find it odd as well that there was nothing for chapter two you said there will be though?

• 1 month later...

ya know. If you don't want it don't get it, but the content is well worth the meesly points. The new maps are done incredibly well, the re-lit maps are much better than hoped for, the guns are great, ........

If you don't get it you're missing out on the best part of GRAW yet!!! to each his own i guess, but no need to complain about the cost of something that is worth it

I second what monkey here said. You guys need to get off your high horse stop telling the developers of games what a game SHOULD be and start either falling in line with the way it's going to be, you're not going to hurt these guys by not buying it, too many people already have and too many will in the future, you're not going to change the way games are moving. DLC is the future. . .get over that or, as a friend of mine has stated in the past, games like monopoly and the game of life may be just for you.

This is more or less a post about "The Future of DLC" than a post about GRAW itself...

You see, I really hope you're wrong there, Kain. Don't get me wrong, I've bought my fair share of DLC... but I made sure the price wasn't too high.

I'll use two games I have right now as examples: TES4: Oblivion and, of course, GRAW.

Let's get started with the RPG... their first downloadable content release was horse armour. Specifically, two sets of horse armour. And it cost three bucks. Three bucks for something that's A) useless and B) doesn't extend the game's life one bit. Their subsequent releases made more sense... they were quests. Problem is, they were still fairly short, but at the end, you had a couple new items, buildings and all that. But the bigger the add-on was, the more you payed. While this would've made sense, it doesn't when you factor in that the starting price is still 3 bucks. The first thing you do when you get the add-on? Go play it. In about 30 minutes, you're done. 45 tops if you buy the largest add-on. A buck per 10 minutes of gaming? I don't think so.

Now, let's check up on GRAW. Many people on here think of the Developpers, they need to be payed, compensated, etc. So, let's see... the re-lit maps: all you have to do (since there is already an HDRI system set up) is change the skybox. Wether they used sky textures already present in other maps, or created new ones... essentially, for a professional, it's just an hour tops of messing around in Photoshop. Then a few minutes to set the skybox up in a 3D application. Then we have the weapons. Most of them are based on ones already present in the game. Model a handle here, add a scope there... not very time-consuming. Now, we get to the Co-Op maps. Personally, I love Co-Op, I think it's the best thing that's ever happened to gaming, and it's a damn shame that you don't see it very often. From what I know, the 4 new maps are quite large, so modeling/coding one of those suckers takes a significant amount of time. Then comes the testing, balancing, etc, etc. But, in my opinion, the Co-Op is worth around 6 bucks. Weapons plus re-lit maps? Two bucks.

We'll see with the releases of future big games (Forza Motorsport 2, Gears of War) if this overpricing of DLC becomes a fad.

If it does, it will just take the Devs that care the most about their fanbase to take the competition to Marketplace (I'm looking at you, Bungie).