Is the DLC a Fair Value?

bravo 2 zero666

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will see this type of thinking until people get used to the idea of buying DLC online. For some reason I think the thought of downloading something to some people means it should be free. IT's a new world of distribution we live in now.

I don't at all think it should be free. As a matter of fact I think dlc from the market place is a great way to get more out of a game but it shouldn't be overpriced like any other product shouldn't be. Like said before the price is 25% of the whole game and if it had the value of 25% of the game it would be worth it and I would be more than happy to pay for it but except for the four new maps the rest in my eyes is just basically filler material to make it look big.

Now, if the original game lacked sufficient content to justify the price, then a publisher tried to pawn off content that should have been there in the forst place as fee based DLC then I would be ######.

Now I don't say we got a half game but I do have a bit of a bad feeling about it. I could remember some report from Ubisoft that said GRAW only would have a few maps because UBI made the maps in a certain special way and wanted to let us know the maps better and that way get more out of them...(?) or something in those lines.

But from the beginning on I felt that GRAW didn't had enough maps. And I'm starting to think now that this is just done on purpose to let people pay easier because they would be more hungry for new content.

Edited by Tchaikovsky

Dudes.... put in the extra two hours at the quickie mart to get the $15 and use it on the DL. It is worth it. No questions asked.

So my question is would you pay $20 for the DLC or $30 or even $50? I mean $50 is chump change so I would expect that you would be willing to drop that on DLC without even blinking ...

Because if you are not willing to pay $20, $30 or even $50 then the discussion becomes what is the perceived value of the DLC vs the absolute $'s being asked for it.

I think you will see this type of thinking until people get used to the idea of buying DLC online. For some reason I think the thought of downloading something to some people means it should be free. IT's a new world of distribution we live in now.

I don't at all think it should be free. As a matter of fact I think dlc from the market place is a great way to get more out of a game but it shouldn't be overpriced like any other product shouldn't be. Like said before the price is 25% of the whole game and if it had the value of 25% of the game it would be worth it and I would be more than happy to pay for it but except for the four new maps the rest in my eyes is just basically filler material to make it look big.

Now, if the original game lacked sufficient content to justify the price, then a publisher tried to pawn off content that should have been there in the forst place as fee based DLC then I would be ######.

Now I don't say we got a half game but I do have a bit of a bad feeling about it. I could remember some report from Ubisoft that said GRAW only would have a few maps because UBI made the maps in a certain special way and wanted to let us know the maps better and that way get more out of them...(?) or something in those lines.

But from the beginning on I felt that GRAW didn't had enough maps. And I'm starting to think now that this is just done on purpose to let people pay easier because they would be more hungry for new content.

You make some valid points based on a perception of what content in there is actually new and it's value. There really isn't an argument there either way, but rather varying points of view to be presented. Is a re-lit map worth the same price as a brand new one? I don't know, but maybe it should be looked at along the lines of does that re-lit map give one a new gameplay experience and is it different enough that when that map is in rotation one would feel like they was playing something different?

Just some food for thought, as I really don't have enough of an opinion to really argue a substantial point. ;)

-John

You make some valid points based on a perception of what content in there is actually new and it's value. There really isn't an argument there either way, but rather varying points of view to be presented. Is a re-lit map worth the same price as a brand new one? I don't know, but maybe it should be looked at along the lines of does that re-lit map give one a new gameplay experience and is it different enough that when that map is in rotation one would feel like they was playing something different?

Just some food for thought, as I really don't have enough of an opinion to really argue a substantial point. ;)

-John

exactly, if anyone thinks that the relit maps are nothing more than cosmetic changes you might as well put run-n-gunner in your sig. The fact is the relit maps change the gameplay SIGNIFICANTLY if you play the game tactically. If you dont agree, i can rest assured you are a run and gunner. The relit maps offer a completely different play experience. Also no one has said this but the improvement to the enemy AI is noticeble and very much appreciated. I would have paid a lil bit of money just for that improvement alone.

if anyone thinks that the relit maps are nothing more than cosmetic changes you might as well put run-n-gunner in your sig. The fact is the relit maps change the gameplay SIGNIFICANTLY if you play the game tactically. If you dont agree, i can rest assured you are a run and gunner. The relit maps offer a completely different play experience. Also no one has said this but the improvement to the enemy AI is noticeble and very much appreciated. I would have paid a lil bit of money just for that improvement alone.

here here

Dudes.... put in the extra two hours at the quickie mart to get the $15 and use it on the DL. It is worth it. No questions asked.

So my question is would you pay $20 for the DLC or $30 or even $50? I mean $50 is chump change so I would expect that you would be willing to drop that on DLC without even blinking ...

Because if you are not willing to pay $20, $30 or even $50 then the discussion becomes what is the perceived value of the DLC vs the absolute $'s being asked for it.

It is definately worth 1/4 of the original game price IMO. And I would have paid $20. But if it was higher than that I would have wanted it on a disc with a fancy box to clutter my house some more.

So basically you would pay anything for the DLC so long as it came in a box?? I mean come on - $30 isn't even a half decent bottle of wine - if it's worth $20 it must be worth $30 if it came in a box ... I mean a case and some pretty pictures has to be worth $10.

So basically you would pay anything for the DLC so long as it came in a box?? I mean come on - $30 isn't even a half decent bottle of wine - if it's worth $20 it must be worth $30 if it came in a box ... I mean a case and some pretty pictures has to be worth $10.

Just buy the DLC, Game on! :)

Is a re-lit map worth the same price as a brand new one? I don't know, but maybe it should be looked at along the lines of does that re-lit map give one a new gameplay experience and is it different enough that when that map is in rotation one would feel like they was playing something different?

I do think it does changes gameplay I'm not denying that at all. But if I'm right and it's just new lighting and nothing else (and you must know that better than I do cause I'm not a game designer), did they had to spend so much time for these changes that a higher price is on it's place or is more like: "Let there be light!" *click-click* :D and it's basically all done? (afcourse it might take a few click's extra but just to get the idea).

The fact is the relit maps change the gameplay SIGNIFICANTLY if you play the game tactically. If you dont agree, i can rest assured you are a run and gunner.

As written above I don't say that I'm just discussing whether the high price is justified nothing more nothing less.

And to everyone that is more than willing to pay the price.

First of all enjoy the game I'm not at all saying you shouldn't have bought it, that's your own decision. But now please don't say I'm a kiddie that can't afford it, as a matter of fact I can easily afford it but for me this is just a principle thing. Now they ask 25% the price of the whole game and before you know it's the standard. And like Wingshot said before they skip alot of costs cause it's just a digital file, so no packaging, material, shipping costs etc are involved. Add-ons like Island thunder and Summit Strike are fair deals this simple isn't.

Edited by Tchaikovsky

principles,

I knew a guy who would NEVER eat a Mc Donalds, In the end I asked him why. The reason. he explained he was once short changed by 25 PENCE by them. I am not a total fan of the burger chain but we sometimes cut off out noses to spite our faces.

Once UBI have counted the pennies I am sure they will give the go ahead to Redstorm for Chapter 3.

Edited by methz68

Is a re-lit map worth the same price as a brand new one? I don't know, but maybe it should be looked at along the lines of does that re-lit map give one a new gameplay experience and is it different enough that when that map is in rotation one would feel like they was playing something different?

I do think it does changes gameplay I'm not denying that at all. But if I'm right and it's just new lighting and nothing else (and you must know that better than I do cause I'm not a game designer), did they had to spend so much time for these changes that a higher price is on it's place or is more like: "Let there be light!" *click-click* :D and it's basically all done? (afcourse it might take a few click's extra but just to get the idea).

The fact is the relit maps change the gameplay SIGNIFICANTLY if you play the game tactically. If you dont agree, i can rest assured you are a run and gunner.

As written above I don't say that I'm just discussing whether the high price is justified nothing more nothing less.

First of all enjoy the game I'm not at all saying you shouldn't have bought it, that's your own decision. But now please don't say I'm a kiddie that can't afford it, as a matter of fact I can easily afford it but for me this is just a principle thing. Now they ask 25% the price of the whole game and before you know it's the standard. And like Wingshot said before they skip alot of costs cause it's just a digital file, so no packaging, material, shipping costs etc are involved. Add-ons like Island thunder and Summit Strike are fair deals this simple isn't.

I'll be honest here, I have not played the entire DLC package and not the re-lit maps. I also do not know how significant of a change they are from the originals. My experience with the DLC is in a smaller focused manner.

But, I do know what it takes to relight a map in that game engine and it isn't as simple as hit the relight button. It also isn't as involved as making a new map either. Price is sometimes a tricky thing to nail down. I guess it's like art... it's all subjective to what the viewr/consumer thinks they are looking at.

It's a good package and one that every GR:AW 360 plyer will enjoy, but it's up to everyone to decide if it's worth the asking price to themselves on thier own.

-John

What it is worth and what it costs for production are two different things. If you don't like it don't buy it. But quit the complaining. You are nothing but an annoyance that clutters up the forums. The DLC will give me many hours of fun. This past week has been invigorating.

Just trying to have a discussion. As far as clutter - I haven't seen anything but fanboy cheers in your posts that really add nothing to the forums.

For instance - here is an example of your insightful and intelligent commentary in the forums:

That is a nice addition.

What are the chances of having more custom slots for gametypes and kits and the ability to name them?

What does it matter? You aren't downloading the new content :P:rofl::whistle:

Just trying to have a discussion. As far as clutter - I haven't seen anything but fanboy cheers in your posts that really add nothing to the forums.

Anybody have a fresh can of Troll-B-Gone??? I seem to be out... :whistle:

Wingshot...you seriously need to read my "This Is For The Haterz" thread..... ;)

BTW I hafta give you a big Whiskey Tango Foxtrot on that sig pic....somebody's got WAY too much time on their hands....I'm just sayin'....

Edited by MAX419

I did read the Haterz thread - or at least the initial post. I did not see where it added anything to the discussion of GRAW and haven't read it since.

As for trolling .... there seem to be anumber of folks pretty adept at that while adding no value to the forums.... I'm just sayin'

For instance - here is an example of your insightful and intelligent commentary in the forums:

That is a nice addition.

What are the chances of having more custom slots for gametypes and kits and the ability to name them?

What does it matter? You aren't downloading the new content :P:rofl::whistle:

Try reading some of my other posts and try to comment on issues that you know about. All you have done is bash the content and you don't know how great it is. Your Sig says it all. Go play some Halo Fangirl. :thumbsup:

And I love that "supporter" avatar.

Edited by beonder13

Sorry - I don't have Halo. Although their RSE could take some notes on Stat tracking and the ability to play ranked games as a team.

As for your other comments -

I don't think so.

But, it is a nice side-effect of the pricing.

:rofl: ROFLMFAO! :rofl:

AWESOME COMMENT!

Wow - that really shows soem thought behind it ..

I don't think that you truley believe that the new lighting of the maps has affected gameplay at all if you believe that it is nothing more than changing the lighting on the maps. to me those new maps were worth the money with everything else because IT DOES CHANGE GAMEPLAY AND GIVES ME A NEW WAY TO PLAY AN OLD MAP. And to this "it's too much I won't buy it but I can" people Why post telling us not to buy it. If you don't like it fine but don't push your opinions on me. It won't affect me or anyone else's opinion unless they are gullible. Let us make our own decision and don't post a post name don't buy the DLC it's crap. YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PURCHASED IT. Jesus you're making an un-informed post about how crappy and useless the DLC is, I purchased it soley for the SR25SD but I play it now because I've SEEN how good the DLC really is. It's the greatest thing about this game now. the new co-op is a frickin challenge, the new maps are beautiful, the relit old maps change my gameplay on those maps wonderfully and the re-lit new maps are great too. not only can I do coffee plantation's mission in the daytime but I can make it 100% harder than it already is by changing my view of things from day to night.

MY BASIC POINT HERE GUYS IS THIS:

Stop trying to tell everyone who doesn't have the DLC that it's the worst thing in the world because of the price. You haven't played it you haven't seen it. For those of you who have seen it and played it and still think it's not worth the money good, I respect that we all do in fact, but there are those of us who believe differently. I am one of them. I'm glad you're going to have 1200 points to spend elsewhere but don't try to tell others not to get it. Let them make their own frickin decision.

Next gen enviornment assets are incredibly costly to make.

The developers and publisher can't just give you 293092302 maps at launch and add endlessly for free.

That said, the GRAW matching system is broken. As someone who bought the game late, I get kicked from every game I join for being rank 1.

I've played only one match since I bought the game. Tried to play about 10, then gave up altogether.

@kain:

First of all enjoy the game I'm not at all saying you shouldn't have bought it, that's your own decision.

Pay extra attention to those last three words (as well as the rest of my posts), I’m not pushing you anything. Also don't act like you can think for me by supposingly knowing better what I'm actually thinking. I do think those re-lit maps will change gameplay, and I’ve never said that the dlc is crap I’m just questioning it’s high price. I even said I'm more than happy to pay for it if they would drop the price a bit. I also never said that you shouldn't buy the new dlc, I only said I won't.

@Sup no one ever asked for that amount of maps or that dlc should always be free. The question just is-is the dlc and work put into it worth the money?

A quick question - why are the new weapons grouped together in the selection list and not at the end/beginning of their respective class list?

And yes - I did drop the 1200 pts this afternoon and have been checking out the DLC.

So here is my now "Informed" opinion.

Are the new maps nice? Yup, the team did a great job. These are the kinds of maps that make the Ghost Recon franchise unique.

Are the new weapons good? yup, again they are a nice selection and the silenced sniper is sure to be a favorite. In fact I think I will have more fun than anticipated with the SCAR H SV - the optics combined with rifleman class modifiers make it an interesting gun to use.

As for the relit maps, gametypes and the missions I will be getting back on those after playing them this evening.

Verdict: The new content is great stuff - props to Serellan and his team. Does it bring the MP content up to the level I feel should have been included at launch? Absolutely not. Having said that, is $15 US too much? In my opinion yes.

Will the 4 coop missions and relit maps change my mind? Probably not. It brings the total missions to 8 - still short of what I feel should have been included at launch. We now have a total of 14 unique maps - that is close to what I would expect for MP content at launch - although the size of the inital maps is still a big dissapointment. Add in the the relit maps and new weapons and the DLC is bringing the content close to what I expected to see.

So as it stands my personal Value Added meter says that $5 would have been a fair price for the value received considering the MP content at launch.

I will be back with more on the Missions, Relit Maps, and gametypes later.