Is the DLC a Fair Value?

Can't wait for the report! :blink::rolleyes::wall:

:ph34r: Oh look...another useless post :lol: oh well, I'm off to play blind siege.

Blind Seige - the most popular game type from Summit Strike that didn't make the GRAW launch ... another example of the content that should have been included that we are now being asked to pay additional $'s for.

Well I am off to play overpriced missions on overpriced maps using overpriced weapons ... toodles.

And I don't think the sig will go anywhere soon - I have grown rather fond of it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blind Seige - the most popular game type from Summit Strike that didn't make the GRAW launch ... another example of the content that should have been included that we are now being asked to pay additional $'s for.

Funny, it wasn't included in GR2 yet you paid 30 dollars to get it in SS.

The DLC represents a tremendous amount of content added to an ALREADY perfectly complete game for a pretty low price. Kinda' out of my range right now, but surely you can afford it.

OK folks, cool it with the personal attacks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we can have a healthy debate, but no place for slagging each other off. Let's keep it civil now.

And yes - I did drop the 1200 pts this afternoon and have been checking out the DLC.

Mucho props to Wingshot for dropping his hard-earned $15 on the DLC. His opinion will carry a more weight with me now that he actually knows what he is telling people not to buy, even though I hold the opinion the DLC is worth it ;)

His sig is ironic, LOL - reminds me of a little fable about not biting the hand that feeds you ... ;)

Sup - the $30 for Summit Strike got you a whole lot more than Blind Seige. How about an entire SP Campaign that could also be played Coop. Another 15 or so MP maps on top of the campaign maps. New gametypes from GR2 ... oh yeah and lest we forget ... probably the last FREE DLC that we will see. Summit Strike was also marketed as an expansion pack and distributed on disk so Ubi/RSE incurred additional marketing, packaging and distribution costs that are not applicable to the Chapter 2 DLC. Finally, since it was distributed on disk you can recoup a portion of the $30 by trading the game in.

Chapter 2 has some great stuff in it. The 4 new mission maps are what make Ghost Recon a tactical shooter. Contact is not going to happen in 10 seconds in squad games and the contours and cover create real opportunities for squad tactics.

As for the missions - the AI has been buffed up ... seriously buffed up. I doubt you will run through these as quickly as chapter 1.

I signed off prior to getting to getting time in on the relit maps.

So the DLC is good stuff. That still hasn't changed my position that it is nothing more than what we should have received at launch. In fact I would have rather seen GRAW launch with just the 8 missions and maps.

The author of this thread named it poorly. THe DLC is not garbage. I would have been more than happy to pay $5 for it. For me it is a question of the total content the MP side has received at release and with the DLC - and I feel we are gettign close to what should have been included from the start in terms of quantity and quality.

I think Ubi realized there is a lack of competition right now and players are starved for content - Demand is high and Supply is .. .well almost nonexistent. So they got a premium based on that. Hopefully as other games hit the market and with the upcoming launch of PS3 the competitive forces will drive more content into launch titles and lower DLC prices.

And Yes - I do think the CoD map pack is overpriced and will not be gettign that - though I am not sure my graphically skilled buddy will have an appropriate sig for that.

20060626.jpg

while i feel like this is all a constructive argument, and in very very general terms i agree that i hope high cost DLC packages dont become the norm. I will have to say that at the end of the day , it comes down to one thing and one thing only. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY THE DLC. its sorta like if you bought a car and then starting tricking it out. Addons for cars are and can be very expensive, but you are not forced to buy addons, it is a consumer decision. When you go to the movies, you are not forced to buy the insanely priced concessions. It is a choice. you may not like it, ....hell i dont like it. but thats what they priced it at. I think my whole view from this comes from the title of this thread. " Dont buy the DLC" first off, i dont need someone to tell me not to buy something. if i buy it and get screwed that my own fault. Personally i could say the same thing to someone who spends 30,000 dollars in addons for a honda civic, but i dont because it is their choice. No matter how stupid it is.

while i feel like this is all a constructive argument, and in very very general terms i agree that i hope high cost DLC packages dont become the norm. I will have to say that at the end of the day , it comes down to one thing and one thing only. YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY THE DLC. its sorta like if you bought a car and then starting tricking it out. Addons for cars are and can be very expensive, but you are not forced to buy addons, it is a consumer decision. When you go to the movies, you are not forced to buy the insanely priced concessions. It is a choice. you may not like it, ....hell i dont like it. but thats what they priced it at. I think my whole view from this comes from the title of this thread. " Dont buy the DLC" first off, i dont need someone to tell me not to buy something. if i buy it and get screwed that my own fault. Personally i could say the same thing to someone who spends 30,000 dollars in addons for a honda civic, but i dont because it is their choice. No matter how stupid it is.

Here Here.

:thumbsup::clapping::notworthy:

Agreed you do not have to buy the DLC ... and the title of the thread is bad (maybe we can get it changed to "Is the DLC A fair value?".

BUt for those that don't buy the DLC and don't have a Hosting grade connection the options are becoming limited since they can not join a room where the Host has DLC (I suspect this is due to the server options to select specific weapons camos etc as well as map) which is not the case with simpler DLC's like CoD where you can stay in the room until a new map is chosen.

There are a few members of the group I game with that do not have the DLC for a variety of reasons and at this point most our Hosts (myself include) do - so they are left out. Not that I would sacrifice the custom options that RSE gave us. Just an observation.

Agreed you do not have to buy the DLC ... and the title of the thread is bad (maybe we can get it changed to "Is the DLC A fair value?".

Good suggestion as that is the gist of this thread. Done.

Also nice change in your sig Wingshot. Again, more respect for the change and lightening things up with some self-depreciating humor ;)

It is what it is CR6 ;) ... at the end of the dayI play games for my enjoyment and it is a relatively small part (well medium sized part maybe) of my life. So if we can't have fun doing this why do it?

I especially appreciate Braybot hopping into my room last night and playing some missions for a bit. The guys at 2old2kwit enjoyed razzing him for the much improved AI and he was a great sport for answering questions and providing insight into the DLC.

You're aware that's poking fun at you guys just as much as it is at Ubi, right? :rofl:

JeeZ Sup - are you sure about that ?!?!? :blink:

Oh that's nice, all of the suden the Civicists come out and start dissing the Honda's. When oh when will people learn that Civic drivers have feeings to.

Its time for the oppressed to come out of their garagess and say YES, I AM CIVIC DRIVER AND I AM NOT ASHAMED. Only then will these frankly outmoded prejudices be challenged.

Edited by Gav451

I especially appreciate Braybot hopping into my room last night and playing some missions for a bit. The guys at 2old2kwit enjoyed razzing him for the much improved AI and he was a great sport for answering questions and providing insight into the DLC.

NP, and thanks for hosting. I had a good time playing with you guys.

heh. well i didnt mean to start anything. just my views. i dont expect and it is quite obvious that not everyone agrees with my views. i personally feel wingshot brings up some good points. i sincerely hope 15 dollars doesnt become the norm, and while i feel that people buying this DLC MAY encourage publishers to use that 15 dollar pricepoint in future marketplace items, i actually feel the marketplace items were a bit off price wise from the begining. 150 POINTS for 3 jpegs for my 360 background? all that stuff should be free.

i really just didnt agree with naming the thread what it was named. there are different viewpoints on the issue of price and value. For example my viewpoint on value is a lot different than some of my friends. I will buy a game to try it out, my friends will rent it first. I am not a bad consumer nor do i LIKE making risky purchasing decisions but by in large i research a product to know at least by a large margin that i will like it or not before i buy it. there are enough game related sites out there to make the decision. But still that may be considered a bad value in terms of risk.

Opsix - I meant the comment on Honda's ;)

Braybot - happy to have you anytime. Not sure what caused the room the room to crash so hard but I lost everyone but Aircrew (I think he may have been the only one in the Dead room when it happened). We got everyone back and continued on - getting our butt's handed to us on Depot numerous times. I think we will be trying some Blind Seige and Team Battle on the new maps tonight.

Hmm I'm uh... Ok im downloading te bloody thing now as well.

I admit that all the positive comments made me too curious to leave it, so long principles...atleast for now.

Still think it's overpriced though ;)<_< .

Feel free to use this sig - I feel for you ;)

GRAWBanner.gif

Yup for now they've got my money as well so keep on smiling billy boy.

But this whole 360 thing does starts to irritate me. Instead of having a gaming console that offers hours of fun with good games I'm staying to see it more as a money eating machine. Compared to the pc you pay more for the same games, you pay a for a membership of XBL to play online, you pay for DLC (and always a bit more cause they don't let you buy the exact amount of points that the dlc requires), and you even have to pay for a silly little gamer picture if you want a certain one. While all these things are most of the times just free on a pc. And not forgetting to mention that in some cases the games are getting dumbed down for consoles.

I really hope the competition (WII,PS3) will get them out of there monopoly position really soon and hopefully forces them to lighten up with all the prices. And that also goes for more developers of the tactical genre that hopefully remove ubi from there throne.

Edited by Tchaikovsky

whats wrong with civics? the new civic is brilliant

Now that is a classic. :rofl::rofl:

We're all here for you Dave, just don't apply to be a priest. ;)

I actually think 1200 points was quite steep but I love the co-op so much I had to have it. The game will last and last, my friends and I STILL play ther co-op on summit strike fairly frequently because we love the missions. GRAW will probably go the same way.

I have been playing on xbox live from the begining played all the ghosts and rainbows. they put graw out with only 10 maps and limited options and then expect us to fork over another 15 bucks for stuff that should have shiped in the first place i don't think so. that is so wrong. if we stand together and say screw you and don't get the dlc maybe they will wake up and smell the coffee and make better games. this is an outrage to gamers and i won't give them jack didly ######. like to see some good coments about this. just say no on the dlc and see what happens.

cajun47 agrees 100% :yes:

Having been dealing with the coop missions and their scoring for a few days I realized that GRAW is the only game I know of that only has 925 possible Achievement pts. This has probably been discussed elsewhere but ... If chapter 2 had 8 pts per chapter (what is with the 2 pts for mission 3 in chapter 1?) and 40 pts for perfect completion of all chapter 2 we would have 72 of those missing 75 pts ...

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere but I am on dial up for the holiday and opening a single page is slow death :(